The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » A nice math puzzle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I came across this puzzle in a recent issue of The Actuarial Review (a newsletter for casualty actuaries). This newsletter has published quite a number of good math puzzles, and some math related magic tricks, over the years. This puzzle isn't a magic trick as such, but I think the method might be useful in an effect, somewhere, somehow.

Here's a link to the puzzle:

http://www.casact.org/newsletter/index.c......;id=3492

I don't want to spoil your fun right away, so I'll post the solution later ... although web savvy people should be able to find it on their own, without too much difficulty.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Small question.
Are any of the people allowed to change the position of the cards behind the curtains they looked at?

N
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
No. That would be a different puzzle, which might be worth exploring in its own right. But it's not allowed in this one.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Great puzzle, balducci!
At first thought, a solution didn't seem possible....
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Right, okay, so I tried and tried and gave up and found the solution (you are correct, the web savvy should be able to find the answer in 10 seconds since it took me 20).

That was painful, I had to work through it before I saw what was happening and I'm still a bit... irritated, lol.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I managed to reach a probability of 5/12 which is 41.6666666%
I assume it to be the maximum. or anybody has a better solution?
arnsfelt
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of arnsfelt
The puzzle actually originates from a question in theoretical computer science.
It was first stated by Peter Bro Miltersen and published in the paper "The Cell Probe Complexity of Succinct Data Structures" by Anna Gál and Peter Bro Miltersen. (www.daimi.au.dk/~bromille/Papers/succinct.pdf). The solution to the puzzle was found by Sven Skyum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » A nice math puzzle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL