The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Large String For Gypsy Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JBCONNECTED
View Profile
New user
TEXAS
74 Posts

Profile of JBCONNECTED
I am looking for a type of string to use with the Gypsy Thread routine that would be visible for a large audience. Perhaps something that reacts to black-light, etc.

Or if anyone can suggest another torn and restored thread that would be good for a large audience.

Any information/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Thanks,
J. PAUL BELL
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Camirand Academy Glow Thread

Just what your looking for...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Billy McComb used to use knitting wool on stage. Mark Kalin (the distances are not great in his theater) uses a glow thread. But, for stage, the McComb version is the way to go. The KEY is to light it properly, probably a strong light from ABOVE. And a contrasting background.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Check out Cellini's "Magic that can be done anywhere" DVD. He does
THE GYPSY THREAD (STREET STYLE)

You can get the DVD from our friend Kozmo at http://www.kozmomagic.com/

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I like the wool yarn idea as well.
JBCONNECTED
View Profile
New user
TEXAS
74 Posts

Profile of JBCONNECTED
If the wool yarn tears easily it will be cheaper, definately easier to get.
It is great to find a place to ask questions of, or discuss things with so many knowledgeable people.

Thank you for all the help.
Thanks,
J. PAUL BELL
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
London Uk
139 Posts

Profile of WKM
I saw a guy do this in the magic circle once using Flash string/wool. Once he had finished he set the whole thing alight as a great finish and a nice way to end clean too.
Liam Ball AIMC*
The Gentleman Magician
JBCONNECTED
View Profile
New user
TEXAS
74 Posts

Profile of JBCONNECTED
Are The Gypsy Thread and The Dragon Thread the same effect?
If not, what are the pro's & con's
Thanks,
J. PAUL BELL
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Same effect, slightly different handling and presentation.
Steve V
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I had an idea today that works pretty well in an emergency.

I took the core out of a piece of clothesline.

The core was comprised of three small strings.

Each of these string could be separated into two more strings.

This leaves you with six small white strings that are thicker than the thread, but yet pull and break apart relatively easily.

Just a thought...
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
magicom
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicom
Christian,
Thanks so much for your idea of stripping the core from rope to use with Gypsy Thread! You helped me solve two problems at the same time. I just returned from a show and realized that my thread for "The Razor Blade Trick" needed replacement. I stripped the core from some of the left over pieces of rope from cut-and-restored and it was perfect for this!
I am also going to use some for "The Gypsy Thread".
Thanks
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 23:06, JBCONNECTED wrote:
Are The Gypsy Thread and The Dragon Thread the same effect?
If not, what are the pro's & con's

Not the same effect. In the dragon thread, you mess up the "broken" thread. In the gypsy thread, you cut in very clear distinct pieces.

On my mind, Gypsy thread is much better looking as an effect. But dragon thread resets itself for a few performances. Which is, IMO, its only pro.

Jonathan.
JBCONNECTED
View Profile
New user
TEXAS
74 Posts

Profile of JBCONNECTED
I now have both the Gypsy Thread & Dragon Thread DVDs. I like them both but they definitely have their own places. The Dragon Thread will not replace Gypsy Thread in my shows, but I will probably use Dragon thread for my close up performances.

For the Gypsy Thread I have not tried the wool yarn yet but I am hopeful that it will work. The problem I have run into frequently is rooms with many skylights. So backlights alone don’t give enough visibility for thin threads. For those shows I need something thicker than ordinary thread.

Thanks for all the input.
Thanks,
J. PAUL BELL
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 21:26, magicom wrote:
Christian,
Thanks so much for your idea of stripping the core from rope to use with Gypsy Thread! You helped me solve two problems at the same time. I just returned from a show and realized that my thread for "The Razor Blade Trick" needed replacement. I stripped the core from some of the left over pieces of rope from cut-and-restored and it was perfect for this!
I am also going to use some for "The Gypsy Thread".
Thanks

You're welcome! Glad it helped you.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Check out Henry Evans and his flash string restoration. He has done this in past lectures and it looks great to have the flash of light leading to the restored string. Great story line potential too.
Lynn Fox
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Check out Henry Evans and his flash string restoration. He has done this in past lectures and it looks great to have the flash of light leading to the restored string. Great story line potential too.
Lynn Fox
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Large String For Gypsy Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL