The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Palm Rise (Free impromptu trick from Jaxon) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I came up with this not long ago (Don't ask how I came up with it. It just came to me.. Smile) I thought about including it in one of my upcoming E-books such as BAR TAB 2 but when I showed it to a few magician friends I discovered that some people won't be able to do it. You'll see why in a moment. So if you can do it I hope you have fun with it. I think it'll mostly be used in impromptu situations because there is no set up.

EFFECT
A card is selected by a spectator. The spectator is asked to remember their card and place it in their pocket. The magician pulls out a marker and attempts to read the spectators mind and draw a picture of the card they are thinking of on the magicians palm. When the drawing is shown it's seen to be the wrong card. Then the magician causes a card to rise out of the drawing in his palm. The risen card is the spectators selection.

As you can see this is an impromptu version of the animated rising card effect (Cardiographic). It doesn't have the visual quality of the card actually rising out but it can still be a pretty visual little trick. It's the kind of thing that even if they figure out how it was done it's still pretty neat and they still won't know how you got the right card.

These two images will be pretty much self explanatory:

When you hold the marker in this fashion and angle your hand. The hidden risen card can't be seen. So all you have to do to make the card rise is spread out your thumb. This is why some people won't be able to do it. If their hand shape won't cover the secret drawing then it won't work.

I've thought up a few ways to present it. One way is to pretend/mime pulling the card out. When doing it this way you cover the risen card with your finger then just pretend to pull it out.

Another way is to actually perform a rising card (Gimmicked deck or ITR) then show that the card also rose out of the drawing. Or you can tell them you're going to make their card rise out of the deck but it doesn't work. Then you notice that it rose out of the drawing.

You can also do it like the Loong card. Instead of the card rising out of the drawing. The card becomes longer with the extra pips. For example they chose the 3 of hearts. You show the drawing to be the 2 of hearts. Then when you move your thumb the extra pip is visible and the card is longer.

Anyway, have fun with it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Very clever Ron! I always enjoy your stuff, and I really like this. You did something similar with a card, didn't you?

Thanks for giving, my friend...

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks.

My trick VCR is like Cardiographics. I just love the concept of drawings animating. Cardiographic has made me a big fan of Martin Lewis.

A friend of mine just gave me an idea with this. Let's say you vanish something small such as a coin. Then you draw a picture of a box in your hand. Use the above method to make the box drawing open and the object appears from it as you dump it out. The only problem is I can't come up with a box design yet. Let me know if anyone works that out. I'll share it here if I figure it out. I think it's a neat idea though.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Thanks for sharing Ron, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a useable hand shape. Great idea.

:cheers: Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Very clever effect Ron! I really enjoy your effects and I like your out-of-the-box approach.
Fortunately I am able to do it. I will definitely try this out as soon as I can.
Thank you for sharing.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Nice idea, I am going to give it a try. I have a double jointed thumb and can create quite a 'wall'. I could probably have the whole deck rise !.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Now THAT is clever. I can't say I've ever seen a similar method. Thanks for sharing, Ron!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Heh. I'll use it tomorrow.
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Thanks.
I can't wait to try it out Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
It's been a long time since I posted this. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the chance to try it out. I've done it in a few casual situations with great fun.

Ron Jaxon

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great idea, think I'll steal that one. Tried it out and it works great.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Thanks Ron. This is great.

Wanted to add alcohol pads work well to wash off the sharpie drawn card from the hand.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Very nice Idea Ron! Thanks for Sharing.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Ron Pure genius. Many thanks for sharing this.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Have done it, Love it!! This is perfect for impromptu card magic. Just take a second to draw the image on your hand.

Really brilliant, Ron. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Monte
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Good idea, will give it a try.

Robert
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2914 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Genius, my friend! Thanks a bunch for sharing. Very generous, and I will use this often!
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
VasMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VasMagic
That is very cool. I'm going to have to try that out.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1607 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Awesome idea, Ron. Thanks for sharing!!!! The ONLY challenge I see is that it may cause a problem during other effects. People will see it and wonder what it is during other routines.

Other than that, I think it's a brilliant idea!!! Smile
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
This is an old thread, but I just reread it. What I do is I draw the entire picture during the performance (draw both cards). So, there won't be anything for them to see beforehand. You set it up after (or just before) you have the card selected.

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Palm Rise (Free impromptu trick from Jaxon) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL