We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do part time pros and amateurs hurt the business of magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm not talking about Bobo The Clown, I'm talking about GREAT performers with GREAT skills with acts as good as mine who charge far, far less then I do because they don't need the money.

The background to this conversation is not based around my current market (where I am the only full timer but all the part timers charge good fees) but about a new market I am entering where they are many, many cheap but high quality part timers. The locals I have spoken with so far have all expressed this concern.

Essentially, I am thinking about how I (as a high priced full timer) will go in this market.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Nicholas, When I went full time I called all the other magicians in the area and got prices "for a show I was going to do." Then I set my price higher than anyone elses, the prospects told me that they could get magi X for cheaper I told them very bluntly. "I have an agreement with him, he doesn't raise his price to meet mine, and I don't drop my quality."

"You can't buy a Rolls Royce for the price of a Yugo."

I wound up closeing most of the calls. Yes it's gutsy but it works. People will know that quality will cost more.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Paddy - That is EXACTLY what I plan to do! I am currently the most expensive kid's entertainer in Canberra ($230-$250 for a 45 minute kid's party show) and I plan to do the same in Melbourne.

Someone explained to me like this:

Ignore the 10% who want the cheapest option. You don't want them as your customer. Most people want the best option which is, in there minds, the most expensive. People look at the best first and then everyone else. So rather then being ONE magicians amongst MANY in the middle range, you want to stand out as the most expensive so people will choose between YOU and the rest of the guys.

Most magicians set their prices as if they are selling Fuel: They might charge a little more for "premium' but basically they want to match the price of those around them.

I prefer to think of my product like a fancy restaurant. The most expensive places in town are usually the best places and they are also the ones which are always full!

BUT I am concerned that if the magicians around me are charging TOO little, then my fee will look obscene. If I charge $300 when everyone elses charges $100, my fee is seem too high and I will lose bookings.

However, based on the comments of the professionals on this thread, I have nothing to worry about.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 08:45, Al Angello wrote:
I believe that amatures, and hobbiest dominate the magic clubs much like free clowns dominate clown organizations, which makes attending meetings a waste of time for the working professional.
MY OPINION
Al Angello

BINGO!!!
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
There are some magicians around here that have undoubtedly been charging the same for the last 15 years.

I review my prices every year and my last price hike, in July 2006, has given me more business. I'm now booking over 50% of callers as opposed to 25%.

How?

By listening to what the customer wants! and developing a show that reflects that. People want stuff. they want something to impress. They want something visual. and they want to have fun too. Not just fun for the kids! Although these may be vague USP's (unique selling points) they have worked for me.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Good on you Tom!

Tom works in the area that I moving to (Melbourne) and is one of the guys who I am really excited to be working in the same market as.

I'm glad you can get good fees and good success rates for bookings.

It sets my mind at rest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do part time pros and amateurs hurt the business of magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL