The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anyone have a picture of a Jet-Set backdrop setup at a show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hi Frank.

Thanks for describing your system and satisfaction with it. Good luck with it tomorrow. Please let us know how it sets up and looks, strikes down, etc.

According to the specifications listed on their site, the particualr system that I bought from Amvona ,via Ebay, is exactly: 12 feet wide by 9'7" high.

I suppose I should cut my fabric so that the height is exactly 10 feet high, to ensure that when the stands are at maximum height, the backdrop fabric touches the ground. It may even overlap onto the ground by three incehs, but again, this is better than showing a gap (of course, I could always lower the stands a few inches to compensate). What do you recommend in this regard?

I would also be curious to know why you bought a couple of sheet sof panne instead of one sheet?

Finally, how wide would you recommend the channel to be, to give it enought "play" on the cross bar?

Would one inch leaway on either side of the bare be enough? Perhaps 2 inches on either side is safest. In this way I would not have to struggle to fit the cross bar into and through the entire length of the sewn channel.

Perhaps you could measure your the entire width of your channel and let me know it's exact dimension.

I would be grateful to know, after your show, if you found it easy or a chore to slide the backdrop material on and off during set up and strike down of the system.

Many thanks in advance Frank.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for your recent PM responding to my qustions Frank.

Hope you have a great show tonight and that setting up your Backdrop system goes as smoothly as silk... or at least as smooth as "Panne"!

Let us know how it goes.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
For those who bought the Jet Set's, are their widths adjustable?

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tod, yes it is as the t bar at top can expand outwards. The only problem is that the center pole structure would be off center if not stretched out in its entirty. You may get a better idea from the photos posted in the beginning of this thread.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Kyle,

I'm not sure I follow.

I have seen the pictures you posted earlier.

If I extend each half of the t-bar out *evenly*, how will that create an off-center scenario?

I am looking to purchase the 8' model.

However, in arriving at a given living room on a given day, there may only be room for a 6' width, or a 7' width.

For the 6' event, could I not merely extend the bar out 3' on the right side, and then 3' on the left side.?

Still not understanding the off-centeredness, unless product does work as I've assumed above.

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4986 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tod, the center upright pole telescopes and locks in place at the height you desire. The T-bar is hinged at the top of the upright. The T-bar is lifted horizontally and thumb screw locked in place. The T-bar also telescopes vertically. In other words, the left side is locked in place and the right side slides out of it. This makes both sides of the upright the same length. If the telescoping T-bar is not the same length on both sides of the upright, then it will be off center. This isn't really a problem unless you have one side, say at the fixed 3 1/2 foot length and the other is only say 1 foot. The entire unit is unbalanced and may fall over.

If you have the 8 foot version and only 7 feet of space, the shorter 1 foot won't make that much difference. Once you hang your back drop or cover the frame with pillowcase type backdrop that Kyle described, noone will know it is uncentered.

I purchased my sets many years ago and have the shorter ones. I originally went to my home center and bought some copper tubing. Then I just cut it to varying lengths. The tubing fits over or in the existing jet set tubing and you can make the width anything you want. Since then, I obtained some chrome plated tubing and did the same thing. Since it isn't seen, the copper will work fine.

If you purchase two sets, the telescoping T-bar section of one unit will slide into the fixed section of the other unit.

At a recent show in a hotel ballroom, I used two jet sets with a 10 foot piece of copper tubing between the two. This made my backdrop almost 24 feet in width. Since my backdrop material is lightweight, it didn't sag at all.
Where the magic begins
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Dave,

Thanks for clearing all up. So, the width of the Jet Set's can't be adjusted without affecting the balance of the backdrop. That's what I wanted to know.

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dave beat me to the punch. Thanks Dave for helping me out and explaining it in such a fine manner as you have my friend. It is much appreciated. Sorry Tod if I was not clear in my explanation.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
While on the subject, despite the 8' not being adjustable, I have two questions for those with the 6' model:

1) Considering 6' has often been expressed as being too small, would you buy the 8' instead now if money were not an issue?
2) Would the 8' model pose a problem in 90% of home birthday parties in your experience? I don't know what space more are typically alotted going into homes?

Thanks in advance,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Tod,
I am 6 foot tall, so when I stand in front of my 6' backdrop and the kids are sitting on the floor, my head appears to be above the backdrop screen. That is why I bought the 8' screen. I have found it an asset for by birthday parties 100% of the time. Well worth the few extra dollars.
Max
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Bopples says it's not been a probem 100% of the time. Any others?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I'm quite bemused following this intensive discussion about backdrops.

Why do you bother? What's wrong with working against the wall?

The pictures I've seen generally show something that looks like an old blanket thrown over a wall to dry. Silly little things with great big fellas stood in front.

If you go for something it needs to big - really big - ceiling to floor and wide, really wide.

You move around don't you? Have children up one to each side and you work between them? I'd guess you need twenty feet across - at least.

Not some puny little thing that does little but draw attention to itself, looking like it is about to fall over. And neutral so it doesn't detract from you.

You start fooling around with designs or pictures or somesuch and no one will be able to see your props properly. Everything will merge.

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered. If you are good, and can keep an audience's attention all you need is a small table (like a suitcase table) as a focal point and a low stool to sit on and maintain eye contact.

No faffing about building up and pulling down backcloths. In the time saved you could do an extra show.

Result? More money in your pocket
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use the photographic backdrop frame. http://aceproductionsusa.com/home.html I have several airbrushed backgrounds. I like the photographic mainly because they are adjustable. I did buy Jet Set years ago. The only times I use the Jet Set is to block my side angles if there is a tight crowd.

I also have a second photographic background frame. I use the second for large stage illusions.

Dynamike
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Awesome DynaMike, looks modern and mystical, who paints them? What the heck kinda animal are you holding and what are those on the box behind you?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Well thank you very much. I'm holding a ferret. The animals behind me on my covered Viking Case is a cat, rabbit, chinchilla and dove. White pets show up better to the audience.

Try looking up "Airbrush" in the yellow pages. Airbrushers can paint on a canvas, bedsheet, etc.

Dynamike
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Ok, I received the Jet Set this week.

Took it out and opened it up tonight.

Instructions say the legs are suppose to open "until they lock into the spring clips."

Uh, three legs here, but NOT one of them lock out in any way!

In fact, they just wobble freely.

To those that have the Jet Set, do yours not operate according to instructions also?

Disappointed,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Anyone yet?

To those with the Jet Set.

Do your legs not "snap" into place either?

Mine just hang lose.

Does not operate as instructions state.

Wonder if others got same result?

Best
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
They do not snap together as suggested.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tod,

my jet et legs do not lock or spring to a locked position. They just swing open and when you place the set down, they stay in place. There is no locking mechanism for them. Simply the weight of the jet set keeps them in place. You can get a better idea of this from the photos I took on the first page of this thread. Hope it helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4986 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Guys, the legs on a jet set are supposed to snap into place when you pull them open. If you look at Kyle's photos on the first page, you see the three pronged clip that each leg snaps into. You just pull the leg up into it until it snaps in place.

They should not just dangle loosely. The snapped in legs make it easy to move around if necessary. Over the years, I've purchased at least a dozen jet sets directly from and not one of them have loose, dangly legs.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anyone have a picture of a Jet-Set backdrop setup at a show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL