The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Spirit haunted deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

micromega
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of micromega
Anyone perform the 'spirit' version of the haunted deck? I performed it today and my audience didn't really even see what the effect was supposed to be. I finished the effect and looked up and the spectator was looking at me like 'is that it?' In a sense he didn't see the effect as being magical at all. I was disappointed, but I guess that since it is a hands on effect it doesn't look very spectacular. I don't think I'll perform this anymore.

anyone else do this? or have any comments

thanks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Describe what happens.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
micromega
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of micromega
A spectator picks any card and memorizes it. He/she puts the card back onto one half of the deck and the magician replaces the top half of the deck onto his/her selection. Then by touching the deck the top half of the deck above the selection begins to move revealing the bottom half of the deck. The spectator can then remove the top most card on the revealed portion and see that it is their card. I hope this is clear. I think the fact that I have to touvh the deck really kills this effect. Maybe others have had better succces. Thanks
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have to admit that this sounds like one of the weaker versions of this type of effect. I'm no expert, however. But I agree, that touching it probably harms the effect. I have seen other versions that look downright spooky... I think one is called simply "Haunted". I may be wrong.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Very basic haunted deck routines typically have the top move to the side then back while the spectators card is pulled out of the deck by the ghostly hand and then the deck is back to normal with the selection poked out.
Steve V
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
One of the best is Esoteric, by Finn Jon. Also Eugene Burger's way to do the Haunted Deck is excellent. Neither are the same as what you describe.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
There are many versions of the effect. I included my two versions on Scripted Insanity, and in both of my versions the deck cuts itself to any named card without the magician touching the deck. I can't imagine a hands-on version playing as strongly.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
That would be the first and second effect found on volume two, which must be seen in order to appreciate the amazing 808 found on volume one.
Steve V
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Thanks Steve, 808 has been one of the strongest pieces in my repertoire for a long time.

Larry
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I like Jon Leclair's version. I think that he calls it 'the animated deck' though, but it's one of the cleanest versions that I've seen and looks downright creepy when you see it.

BTW, Dixie Dooley does a pretty awful version of the haunted pack on his 'Seance' dvd.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I think Micromega is talking about Doug Edwards haunted deck, I messed with it many years ago & it got very poor reactions. I do Eugene Burgers version now.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I didn't care for Edwards version either.
Steve V
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
I use "Spooked" and it has served me very well.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
If you purchase the NEMO card control gimmick, you will learn an unusual version of the Haunted Deck. This is the version that Patrick Page used to do when he had visitors to his house.

Happy Labor Day!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I have to agree with the assumption that touching the deck harms the effect, I like Leclair's version.
Tony Chapparo
joegow
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of joegow
I purchased spooked not too long ago, I was very disapointed. I also agree that touching the deck destroys the effect to some degree
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Just got this. I hate it. The handling seems to remove the need for the gimmick at all. it really just looks like you have a break and are turning the deck. Sadly I bought 3 of these. The idea of an "IT" free version of the haunted deck sounded awesome. This is garbage. The only thing haunting here is the ghost of my missing money. I'm super mad. I will need to see a live demo of anything from this company before purchasing from now on. It is so bad I think I must be doing it wrong. ...not that the instructions with it are much help. I'm so mad.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I mean this one. Spirit-by-Mozique-and-Alakazam-
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have been using Esoteric for years and it añways plays well, the three way movement is good, and with the advent of the stronger t*****s these days it is even more invvisible to the s`pecs.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Spirit haunted deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL