We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card in a Coffin ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
I have a brand new effect just out ...

A person selects a card, the card disappears and is found inside a little coffin.
Prior to revealing the card the coffin top automatically slides open (by remote) and the card is displayed in the coffin at the same time a recorded voice is telling the spectator that the card is in the box. The card is dumped into the magicians hand and it is the signed spectators card.

This effect involves animatronics, remote rf control and a voice recording (which can be changed -- even specifying the exact forced card). The battery is rechargable and lasts A LONG TIME on one charge (2 days now with many performances).

All I can say is "THIS GETS GREAT GREAT GREAT REACTIONS in the real world"! Just in time for Halloween. I'm having a lot of fun with this!

PM me if you want the link to the video just finished.

Steve
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

I found out that it gets much better reactions without any sound playing ... just the top of the coffin sliding off revealing the card inside.
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of solidoak
How about just posting the link here. I'm sure many would like to check it out.
Rick
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

I didn't think you could do that .. can you?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
PMed you.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I will say this, I sent him a pm and he sent me the video link. It is very cool and I think when it is ready I will be one of the first people to get it. I have been using the mystery box for years. This has more adaptation to a good story and just looks creepy. From what he has told me it is still in the finishing stages so we are going to have to wait for this.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Seskindell, thank you for the video link.

The Card in a Coffin demo vid is short and sweet. The coffin is small and gives a very spooky look. The effect looks very creepy. I would say it is an excellent variant to Mr. John Kennedy's "Mystery Box" effect.

Use of miniature RF (Radio Frequency) remote control receiver has added a new dimension to the well known Mr. John Kennedy's "Mystery Box" effect.

Only if, just before the coffin lid slides, a flickering red diffused LED lights-up and a small puff of smoke emerges out of the coffin could be added. This will make the effect look much creepier. Just my thoughts!

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Thank you for the feedback everybody.

I really appreciate it!!!

I put a couple of links to the videos .. I modified the coffin lid animatronics and made it look even better .. also it shows a closeup in the 2nd video.
Here are the links:

http://www.skindellmagic.com/coffin.wmv
(1st vid .. gives overall view)

http://www.skindellmagic.com/coffin2.wmv
(closeup with changed animation movements)

Let me know what you think and have a great day!

- Steve
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Wow .. I REALLY like the idea about a puff of smoke and perhaps some lightning (maybe this should be done just prior to the movement of the coffin top?) ... the ability is there right now to add a sound recording up to 20 seconds -- maybe thunder or a spooky voice coming on saying "Your card is in here ... with me matey .. and it is the seven of diamonds ... now get it out of here of here -- NOW!". It is user programmable for both the sound and the animatronic movement. I freaked some people out with this the other night because they really love the mystery box trick .. I had the Mystery Box sitting on the side and I said "Do you know where your card is" ... they said .. "In the little box" .. I said "no .. it's in the coffin over there on the other side of the room" ... activated the remote control and the lid started moving revealing their card. These people ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY LOVED IT !!!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 05:48, seskindell wrote:
.. it's in the coffin over there on the other side of the room" ... activated the remote control and the lid started moving revealing their card. These people ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY LOVED IT !!!

The 2nd video provides a good close-up of the prop. The prop itself looks very old & hence most suited to create the desired effect.

I liked the !DEA of placing the prop far away thus making people freak & scream. The prop is worth considering.

How much will it cost?

Smile
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Not sure of the cost right now.

- Steve
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Nice, I have talked to seskindell about his creation over the phone. Very nice and strong effect. I would hazard a guess that you will be very busy trying to keep up to orders if and when you release it.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Irishghost. I'm working on the smoke coming out of the little coffin as Ustaad recommended. Also, will work on some light effects if I can .. maybe a strobe for lightning. The sound could be some thunder ... anything else I should include in it? Jon recommended I put a spider in it that falls out of the box.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Hey ... what about this idea: Include a reel inside that briefly moves a napkin or paper about 5 - 10 feet away while the coffin top is coming off and smoke is coming out of the coffin (I'm working on the smoke effect right now). Let me know what you think!

- Steve
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Here's the latest video that includes the smoke ...
Let me know what you think !

http://www.skindellmagic.com/smoke.wmv

Will be working on the reel moving the napkin 5 feet away (4 or 5 inches)!

Thanx,
Steve
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
779 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I like the wood select for the coffin.
Looks pretty good.
The smoke addition really enhances it a bit too.
Best of Luck with it.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5717 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
The smoke coming out of the coffin looks good. May I kindly suggest the following.

1. Since the coffin is going to be placed at a distance (as suggested earlier), it would be better if a sharp shrieking sound is emitted out of the coffin at lease 3 seconds before the coffin lid starts to slide & a puff of smoke appears. This will immediately draw the attention of the spectator towards the coffin well before the effect begins.

2. The smoke coming out of the coffin should last no longer than 2 seconds. It should look Just like a short puff.

I think this is going be one of the good props manufactured for such effects. The prop might turnout to be a collector’s item. It is nice to see that a lot of creative thinking and efforts is being put in to the project.

Good work, seskindell! I'm sure the hard work will pay off.

All the best!

Smile
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
I think, that if you could possibly have a skeleton hand lifting the card out of the casket, this would enhance the effect dramatically.

The smoke would look best, if it only came out for a few seconds, as soon as the lid is cracked open.

Phil
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1526 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Maybe you could have the skeleton jump out of the box and the card in his hand. Maybe he could wave his hand at the spectator. I am saying all of this with toungue in cheek. At this rate the item will 1. be too costly because of all the enhancments (my guess) and 2. The item will never go to market because of constant updates. It is one thing to have a few improvments but this is getting to be a little overkill. This is just my opinion which with $4.00 will get you a Starbucks.

Ron
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
779 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
As I stated before, the smoke really enhances the effect quite a bit. (Love it!!!...Great Addition!!!)
I am going to have to agree with my magical brothers here as well on the duration of that smoke effect.
I too believe it would look BEST if it only occurred for a few short seconds and was initiated only at the beginning when that coffin lid cracks and slides open.
That is a perfect "magical moment" to capitalize on followed by another when the card is revealed.
Keep going with this seskindell, you are on to something!
I'm sure many magicians would love to own such an item.
Just think, even if you only decide to make a few, they become "limited", hence even more valuable.

Keep those creative juices flowing!!!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Card in a Coffin ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL