The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Bizarre Warning from Penguin... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1402

Check out the warning posted with this item. Geez, I'm sure that warning will keep all the teenie Penguins from buying it, right? And if they do buy it, I'm sure they will never perform it, right? Sure. Nice marketing Penguin. Way to manipulate your flock.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Huh!? We are selling this DVD but at the same time want to warn you that in the view of our "Head Magician"...

-- "this DVD is NOT good"
-- "The routine is unsafe"
-- "the information presented is misleading"
-- "I DO NOT recommend this DVD"
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Did you read the comment on the bottom of he page?
Quote:
Russian Roulette DO NOT BUY
by Anonymous from RALEIGH,NC on 06/23/2006 08:06:16
this is one of the most overpriced pieces of magic I have ever purchased. The method is super simple and could be taught in 5 seconds. The effect can get good reactions when performed right. This should have been an instant download for 5.95 lasting 5-6 minutes. Don't waste your money!

That was from a customer I presume.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Yeah, that's funny.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
But will it get the chicks?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 17:23, NeoMagic wrote:
Huh!? We are selling this DVD but at the same time want to warn you that in the view of our "Head Magician"...

-- "this DVD is NOT good"
-- "The routine is unsafe"
-- "the information presented is misleading"
-- "I DO NOT recommend this DVD"

Wow. If that is how you guys, or your "Head Magician" feels, and you still choose to sell it, what would cause you to NOT sell something?
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I agree that if their "head magician" feels that way they should just take it off the site, the way Ellusionist did with that telephone card trick. But I do give Jay props for going on the site and posting his feelings, which seem to be quite sincere and which I think some people considering buying this item will consider.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Off topic, but Danny and Compton look like twins
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 20:02, mrbilldentertainer wrote:

What are you talking about? I am twice as good looking as him! Sorry Danny, but it just had to be said......

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 20:09, Compton wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 20:02, mrbilldentertainer wrote:

What are you talking about? I am twice as good looking as him! Sorry Danny, but it just had to be said......

Scott

Well that makes sense - you look about twice my age, so you've had twice as long to groom yourself into the handsome being that you are today! Smile

- Edwin Louis Cole
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, so you do not want people to buy it.
SO WHY IS IT ON YOUR SITE???
Man, he makes no sence.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 07:23, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Ok, so you do not want people to buy it.
SO WHY IS IT ON YOUR SITE???
Man, he makes no sence.

hehe that's what I thought too
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
You've got to love marketing.........
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
And what will be coming up next? I bet it will be:

The William Robinson Bullet Catch DVD - learn how to catch bullets in your teeth just like the pro's!

geesh - it's amazing that they can sleep at night
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I've refrained from bashing Penguin for a long time now. They seem to have been pretty low key lately. I guess I'm not really bashing them by bringing this to other people's attention, I just felt it was one of the strangest product warnings I have ever read. I guess when you are 13-16, you are still easily susceptible to reverse psychology.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
You guys are so cynical. LOL
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Consider their target audience. Tell the child they can't have something and it becomes the end all focal objective in their lives.

A friend of mine finally got his five year old to eat his veggies at dinner by not letting him have any! It was for "grown ups only" as he and his wife relished in the delicacy. This only lasted two evening and they agreed to let him have a little bit of the "stuff" if he didn't tell anyone.
akumasan42
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of akumasan42
I totally commend Jay for his contribution to this. It's clear that he is doing this for the right reasons, that he genuinely has a concearn and that he wouldn't want to see people to be hurt by something that isn't a sure thing.

If it was just the warning that it could lead to injury, I could see that it'd be an inticement to buy the effect, but a full paragraph saying how bad the effect is and how out and out unsafe it is I feel is a completely different situation, and I feel it is cynical that it'll just be viewed as enciting young kids to buy it...I know there are silly people out there, and maybe I'm just being nieve, but would people REALLY go for something that a professional is telling them is unsafe, when they could end up with a nail through their palm?

Off topic slightly, but are there 100% safe versions of this effect? I'm assuming Dobson's Smash and Stab is...but then I thought this one would be too.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 10:50, akumasan42 wrote:
are there 100% safe versions of this effect? I'm assuming Dobson's Smash and Stab is
Bad assumption. Smash & Stab has been responsible for several injuries to magicians and spectators.

There are at least three electronic versions of this effect that I'm aware of, two psychological approaches and at least two mechancial versions - some using the knife, some using a spike and others using broken bottles, etc. There's even one using m*****s.

Keep in mind - the origins to this trick can be traced back to two performers: Banachek and Gary Kurtz (neither of whom have given permission to ANYONE to perform, let alone sell this effect). But, there are at least a dozen variations of it on the market, two or three of which have caused some serious injuries to those people doing it, as well as spectators.

The problem seems to happen when performers get confused and try to keep in mind the one with the spike/knife, and then they are drawn to it instead of avoiding it. The failsafe is the magician's brain, and that is obviously not perfect.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
akumasan42
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of akumasan42
I just worked out the perfect solution to this effect! Stand on the cups and use it in conjunction with Staked...if you miss, then you'll be perfectly fine ^^

I guess the only way you could ever get a 100% failsafe version would be to get the nasty spikey thing out of the equation all together...I'll just do Sankey's homocide instead...I'm not bothered about punching a hole in a wrong envelope.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Bizarre Warning from Penguin... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL