The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Pantomime Overture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I have been approached by a local amateur pantomime group who are looking for an inexpensive pantomime overture. The tune should last about 90 secs and be jolly, dreamy, fun and modern. I am not musically talented in the slightest but having directed pantomime a number of times I know the kind of thing they're after. The pantomimes I normally direct have a live keyboard player and drummer, but they don't have this luxury and are looking for a recording, without the expense of paying a band to record it. When it comes to software such as Band In A Box etc, I am a true dunce, and don't even want to attempt anything like this. Is there anybody out there who could help? The funds are very tight though.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Daniel
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
I have a video/audio studio and I do custom music. My clients include Barry Mitchell, Tim Sonefelt, Rob Erdman, Ford, and Chevrolet to name a few. A custom music track will run you around $90 if I do it. Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Nathan
http://www.nathanjroberts.net
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Mark, I'm not from the land of the panto as you are, but correct me if I'm wrong when I say that a panto overture is usually composed of snippets from the music that is heard throughout the show.

The traditional panto has got music taken from all walks of life, classical, show tunes, etc......but usually taken from elsewhere (not original for the panto).

This means that all the pantos I've ever seen had their overtures written by their Musical Director just for the show, based on the tunes said Musical Director has selected for the show.

Years ago, I used to tour Paul Elliot Pantomimes, a well known British Panto producer. I've done thousands of shows in my life, but the panto's were the only shows where on any given day the cast could make me bust a gut laughing even though I'd seen the performance hundreds of times before!

There's lots of places in North America where mention of a brilliant Christmas Panto just brings blank stares.
It's a tradition that I wish would really establish itself on the North American side of the pond, I got used to it at Xmas when I was in England, it was a high point of the entire Christmas season.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Check out Arthur Stead's work. It has exactly what your looking for.
Magic it magic Vol 2 is great. I use 2 cuts in my show.

http://www.arthurstead.com/Products.htm
Daniel Faith
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Silverking

The overture is usually made up of snippets of original music written specifically for the show. However more and more panto companies are using music that's already out there and paying the appropriate fees for doing so. Which is what they're doing. There aren't a huge number of companies that still produce their own original musical scores anymore, I suppose for the cost and effort of creating your own score its easier and cheaper to just pay for the rights to use other peoples' work. There are lots of 'feel good' songs out there that people instantly recognise and join in with, which makes the hassle and cost of writing your own material worthless. I use popular songs in my pantos now, although I did team up with a musical director and wrote a complete score for Aladdin 3 years ago. He wrote the music and I strung together the lyrics. It was really cool to see your own score being performed onstage, but was months of hard work. I would approach the guy who put together the music for Aladdin to write an overture but he's no longer in the country. The amateur group I'm now trying to help have no idea how to go about this sort of thing so I said I would put out the feelers.

Mark
Mark Daniel
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

I have just got my friend to play the tune on the Yamaha. This is the tune that needs jazzing up and turning into a modern, fun overture. If anybody thinks they may be able to help please PM me and I'll send you the mp3 by email.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Daniel
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Mark,

I have had Nathan Roberts do several pieces for me. I also have his royalty free music and his custom intros. He does good work if you are looking for any other references.

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Pantomime Overture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL