The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Enough of the lurking already. . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Spasm
View Profile
New user
Hiding beneath your bed.
18 Posts

Profile of Spasm
After spending the last few weeks lurking about the boards, I figured that it was about time to legitimize myself and register.

As you may have already guessed from my username (or known if you are a mentalist) I am drawn towards the darker side of magic and mentalism. Although honestly I really don't care for the "bizarrist" label because it always makes me feel as if I should be working a circus sideshow next to the bearded lady in my flowing black robes.

Many would say that mentalism and bizarre magic can barely coexist within the magic community let alone inside one human being. Mentalists, of course are far too arrogant and elitist, while bizzarists are simply too weerd and usually have a questionable fashion sense. It has been my experience however, that underneath it all, bizarrist magic is little more than a volatile mixture of mentalism and close-up magic with far better stories.

I am always amazed at how the very same audience who would yawn at your typical card revelation mentalism routine, absoulutely freaks as soon as I pull out the Tarot cards or spirit lamp and perform the exact same card revelation. There seems that there will always be some unspeakable attraction to the dangers and unknowableness (yes, this is actually a word) of the dark side. After all, isn't magic at its most basic level the realization that there will always be things in this world which we can never fully understand. There must be a place in our art for those of us who are searching for something darker than your typical wallet peek without being forced to wear the black robes of bizarrism. Just a thought.

As a side note, I am currently enjoying Shane's excellent book "Pentaolgy" which I would highly recommend to any magician/mentalist/bizzarist out there who is searching for a little more substance or story behind their effects. Shane's unique blending of storytelling combined with relatively straight forward effects is something to which I can only hope to aspire.

Now that I have offended virtually everyone inside this illustrious Café, I will say my farewell. I apologize for the long winded introduction but perhaps this was not unexpected coming from a former English Major who typically makes his living getting paid by the word. Now looking back, I realize that I might have been better off had I stayed in my shadowy booth at the back of the Café, watching. . .

-Drew
All spelling and grammatical errors are strictly for entertainment purposes only
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
Wow, that "watching. . . " thing was sort of spooky! I like it.

Welcome
jd
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Welcome to the Café Spasm.
Taurus
View Profile
New user
Canada
72 Posts

Profile of Taurus
Welcome Spasm,

How come you have 0 posts... ok that's just creepy :o
Subscribe to the Magic Week in Review Podcast

www.itricks.com
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Welcome to the Café Drew.
I'm glad I sleep on a futon! Smile

@Taurus.
Some posts don't count towards your total.

Regards, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Enough of the lurking already. . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL