The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The worst trick of 2006 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Quote:
On 2006-09-23 11:03, jimesw wrote:
Hank Lee's service. Tricked into ordering an exclusive item that doesn't arrive.

No kidding, Hank Lee's policy appears to be to state that everything is in stock, when in fact, it isn't.

In both of my two recent orders, the items were stated to be in stock, and then they notified me that they are backordered.

My advice is to call and verify availability even if their web site claims it is in stock, BEFORE you order anything from them.

Kevin
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Ah yessssss .... I may be the current record holder for waiting for a back order with Hank Lee. Today, I am celebrating 7 months, exactly, on an item. They are masterful, Kevin.

John
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 22:36, Magicshore wrote:

Ah yessssss .... I may be the current record holder for waiting for a back order with Hank Lee. Today, I am celebrating 7 months, exactly, on an item. They are masterful, Kevin.

John

Not to make you feel any better, but you have beat my record! I do think that Hank Lee takes the record for worst service though. He sends out these glorious, personal emails ever week (if you are on his mailing list) making it sound like you'll get customized service. But you better hope you didn't misread the fine print about his discount or you didn't order something on backorder, because then you get a taste for the REAL service. Oh yea, and if you try emailing them, you get one and two word replies that are typically either incorrect or out and out lies.

My advice, DON'T order from Hank Lee.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've had nothing but great service from Hank Lee. The only problem I ever had is when a key got stuck on my computer and I charged an order 4 times to my credit card. He resolved that for me as soon as I notified him. And he upgraded the software on his ordering site so this could not happen to anyone again.

I've had my share of items on backkorder, that is because I order off the "Hot List", the new items that have just been released by the manufacturers, but may not have arrived at the store yet. So a slight delay might happen. And guess what, sometimes the manufacturers lie about a product release and ship date. But none of us here would know anything about that, right?

There was one incident where I did not get what I ordered. I recieved a credit to my credit card and a note from Hank on it. He felt the item was misadvertised and was utter crap, and he refused to accept it or sell it to his customers.

As far as service goes, if you call up and ask about an item, they will tell you if it is in stock, and sometimes if it worth purchasing or not. I've received nothing but help and good advice when I called. And the very few emails that I placed have all been answered.

With service and customer care like that, Hank Lee is my dealer of choice.

Tony Iacoviello
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I'll have to put my vote in for AG... 'nuff said.

Regards, Steve
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
NYCJoe

I agree with you 100% !!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My experiences with Hank Lee have been mixed. Several years ago, I called to see if they had a set of Gazzo cups in stock. "Oh, yes," was the answer.

"Do you see them?"

"Oh, yes."

"Then send them to me, please."

Weeks went by. No cups. So I called back. This time I spoke to Hank. "Oh, no. We have those drop shipped from School for Scoundrels." They did not have them in stock when I called.

It took quite a while before my card was credited.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Bill, Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I ordered Bob Swadlings Double Deception Coins. When I called they said they had them in stock. I was surprised because at the time nobody else had them. The fellow on the phone even said, "Yup, Im looking at the set right now, have 5 of them." I placed my order and several weeks went by, finally I found out that they were not in stock. Took over a month to credit my card back!
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
There is no excuse for that kind of business practice. So maybe the "Hank Lee...it's in stock...I'm looking at it now" trick could be the worst trick of the year?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2006-11-08 00:14, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I've had my share of items on backkorder, that is because I order off the "Hot List", the new items that have just been released by the manufacturers, but may not have arrived at the store yet. So a slight delay might happen.

Yep...I think it is that hot list, some of the items have not reached full temperature yet and are still baking.

Hank Lee has always been good to me.
MBrook3902
View Profile
Loyal user
Naples, FL & Hickory, NC
202 Posts

Profile of MBrook3902
My vote for worst trick of the year was Zach Allen's advertising of DREAM/DREAMING. Because that is all it was...a dream...and he was dreaming.

MBrooks
It takes 4 to 6 minutes for the brain to die without oxygen. I can fix anything in that amount of time.
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
491 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Worst trick of the year has to be: Phone-omenon by Doug McKenzie

So glad I didn't buy this one! My friend wasn't so lucky!
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I'll have to agree with that gobrownstd54.

There are not many tricks out there that could get you in trouble in a BIG way.

Phoneomenon WAS a stinker.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Yep...Phone-omenon was far from phenomenal.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
As of this writing I did not purchase anything new for 2006, however, thanks to another poster I did find the WORST magic website in the year 2006.
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 21:06, Magicnevets wrote:
Okay Magi,
I suggest you click on this link: -
http://www.magicomedy.ch/supermegamagicstore.htm
Be sure to download the video too, it's SO funny!
Regards,
Steven

Not only where the videos dreadful to watch, but indeed, their satirization of magic dealers in general was downright common. Sadly, it took 10 minutes out of my life that I will never get back.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Ok, after the long discussion about the red killer caps, we have a new favorite. The x-levitation! I´m not sure if the x-levitation will get the first place (the antigrav levi) has the most votes at the moment), but i´m sure that the x-levi has good chances to get the second place this year.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2006-11-19 11:49, CinChiller wrote:
Ok, after the long discussion about the red killer caps, we have a new favorite. The x-levitation! I´m not sure if the x-levitation will get the first place (the antigrav levi) has the most votes at the moment), but i´m sure that the x-levi has good chances to get the second place this year.

Apparently the prize for worst trick is "up in the air" for the moment (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun).

Regards, Steve
kosem16
View Profile
New user
Israel
4 Posts

Profile of kosem16
Shrinking pinkie
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
Quote:
On 2006-09-12 18:41, jerrydb4 wrote:
I am going to put my pre vote in for X Levitation.

It is just my opinion which I believe we are still allowed to have. Smile

I put a pre vote in on Sept 12 for X Levitation. I look like Nostradamus without the vagueness!! I am kidding of course, I think most people saw the X as a scam from the beginning.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
My vote for worst trick is for symbiose.

...It also gets my vote for best scam.

Having purchasers sign a non disclosure agreement was clever. Ironically, the effect itself forces the performer to instantly violate the NDA during the routine.

Quote:
On 2006-11-07 23:35, NYCJoePitt wrote:

My advice, DON'T order from Hank Lee.

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

My advice, DON'T order from enigmagia.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The worst trick of 2006 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL