The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Serious Exposure of Sleights on YouTube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
My point is that the people who are coming to see you are not the people who go looking at YouTube to see how it's done. People who go to see magic shows go to be amazed not to catch you out.

If a magician feel this is happening in their shows they must be either paranoid or under rehearsed and giving it away themselves.

I am a magician and I go to see magic shows and I know how it's done. OK, part of me wants to get ideas, but mostly I want to be entertained like everyone else.

You will drive yourself crazy worrying about secrecy and the YouTube punks -they are not your audience so why do you care.

Finally, let's face it, it's only the technology that is different. Look at all the hoo-hah caused when serious magic books were being sold in general book stores. And, even thirty-odd years ago I used to walk in to my local magic shop and buy whatever I had the money for - no swearing oaths of secrecy there!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26945 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 18:40, tony2514 wrote:... And, even thirty-odd years ago I used to walk in to my local magic shop and buy whatever I had the money for - no swearing oaths of secrecy there!

Exactly the problem. If a muggle can buy trick X, bring it into work the next day- do it badly then have everyone in the lunchroom read the instructions, play with the gimmicks and try out the apparatus... we have a problem.

Now how do we solve that problem?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The very moment a trick is for sale, it is technically exposed.
Cards never lie
Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
I agree with TW, most just simply don't care...I myself started learning card magic because I stumbled upon a pass tutorial on YouTube and haven't looked back since. Many of the people watching those things are going to be performing them, not being performed to - as for them being young kids, I say good luck to them as at least they are doing something with their brains beyond watching television and playing World of Warcraft Smile

One quick anecdote - as an absolute amateur I have only performed in front of small groups of friends at homes or bars. I was doing a bunch of tricks using Osterlind's BCS, as well as Strange Travellers, and Entourage. What I loved was the one girl who had gone through the internet 'finding out how it's all done'....her answer to it: "It's all about angles isn't it?" she had obviously retained a lot of information Smile Suffice to say when I used the BCS I made SURE that she could see everything I was doing from every angle...completely floored her.

Don't worry, the people who watch these things will forget, the people who don't forget will practice...

Besides - the spectator for the most part knows you are doing SOMETHING...they don't think you really have these amazing powers. They are allowing you to do what you do without breaking the illusion, and the polite ones (read: non-arrogant ones) will continue to let you do what you do even if they know the trick. Also, the vast number of tricks I've seen exposed are really basic level tricks - the kind of things you find in the beginners books.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
My assistant announced to me one day that she KNEW how to do Salt Shaker through Table because CA exposed it on one of his shows so I asked her if she knew "Quarter through the table from under a Shot Glass". When I did the trick she was so intent on the quarter that once the shot glass passed she was totally amazed! LOL, in her mind it was a totally different effect due to a minor change in props and patter.
Do I get angry about exposure on the net..... sure! Is there anything I can do about it..... Nope!
The exposure I've seen on UTube is usually so bad that if you do run into someone that has seen the trick on the net but you change it up and handle it well, they forget all about what they've seen before!
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Quote:
On 2006-09-01 06:46, magicfan456 wrote:
I recently stumbled upon a link explaining the mechanics grip.

Holy Smokes! Someone alert the exposure police!

Sorry, that just struck me as funny. The point is valid though - it is really unnerving when someone tells you at a gig that they've "seen this before on the internet". I stand by the advice of being as original and professional as possible. If you have your own stamp on an effect, you can always beat the exposure. Plus, even if someone has seen the secret, if you're entertaining in your presentation, they usually just enjoy the show.

Magic is about so much more than the secrets.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
In my experience, there is such a fundamental difference between the two dimensions of a screen or a book and the THREE dimensions of live performance that even those who 'know' the method from the comfort of their armchairs are fooled when confronted with the real goods. Magic is an experience best served LIVE.
Don't forget to breathe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Serious Exposure of Sleights on YouTube (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL