The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Virtual Soundman vs. iCue2 vs. MP3Tech/ShowTech (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Regarding the mp3Tech - the wireless display unit is only $385 if you buy it at the same time as the main unit, otherwise it is $465.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Because my budget for sound system was limited, I recently decided to purchase a Virtual Soundman 7.5, in mint condition. My package is in transit as I write this and includes: Sony Mini-CD player, LED Display, FM Transmitter, and travel case.

I made this purchase for what I thought was a reasonable amount: $500US. I believe that when this system was purchased new, it sold for approximately $1,000US.

I realize that the technology of the VSM 7.5 is now considered to be somewhat outdated, but I am curious to know if those that have owned and used this particular system still see it as being both reliable and highly functional.

Of course, if you tell me that it is now an antiquated system and for the amount I paid I should have saved up a bit more to buy an MP3 or iCue system, I won't be too thrilled.

Still, I'm curious to receive all thoughtful and experienced feedback on the practicality of this system.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Jonathan:

I don't have any personal experience with the Virtual Soundman 7.5, but I know others who have them and they seem to be reasonably satisfied.

Where you might experience a problem is with the Sony Mini-Disc player. I had a mini-disc with my Showtech and had problems with it, so I upgraded to an Ipod and everything was fine after that. I know others who have had similar experiences with mini-disc players.

I don't know if the VS has capability for an Ipod or other similar device, but if so, you might want to look into that option. The mini-disc is old technology.

Doug
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Doug,

I would be interested to know the type of problems that might be encountered with the Sony Mini-Disc player. Although the model that I will have is not the very top of the line model, I understand it is of above average quality.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1810 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Hello Jonathan,

I have been happily using a VSM 7.5 for nearly three years. I also have an iCue Duo (predecessor to the iCue2). The iCue Duo, I use for smaller shows because the it is more compact and is all in one. At smaller venues, I can have the display easily visible.

For my larger shows, I use the VSM 7.5 because the LED display is separate and I can have it set up at the front of the stage, while the VSM is behind my backdrop with my mixer. (Actually, the display is in the right-hand corner of the stage below my speaker stand.)

I love the 7.5. The only thing that makes the iCue any simpler is that it automatically pauses at the end of a track, while the VSM 7.5 has to have an inaudible cue added to the end of the track to make it pause. It's not a big deal when you get used to doing it.

I have three Sony MiniDisc recorders (inexpensive MZ-N510CK) and have had no problems whatsoever with them.

I think you'll be fine!

Michael

P.S. You did get a good deal on the package you bought. It would run you at least $800 to buy an iCue2 without the MD player!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I was shocked and amazed to see a MiniTech sell for $165, MD included, at Kidabra during the auction! I was just about to open my mouth to bid when it was sold. Ya snooze, ya lose!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This is something I've been pondering for a couple months. I've been using my original ShowTech for almost 15 years now, I tested the "Performer" system, and didn't feel the need to carry a laptop around (although, I love the song title/time display idea being so visible) to smaller shows. I've spoken with Kelly Duro about the Icue Squared, and that's still a possibility. Spoke in depth with Kerry Pollack of Wireless Wizardry just last week, and that's still a do-able thing. The only thing I don't like is the inability to change the show track order "on the fly" at the venue. You have to have a computer to accomplish that, and I'm not taking one with me to shows (see above!)...

Still thinkin'...

Steve
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 16:08, excerpts from Michael Messing's post above...

Hello Jonathan,

...I have been happily using a VSM 7.5 for nearly three years... I love the 7.5. The only thing that makes the iCue any simpler is that it automatically pauses at the end of a track, while the VSM 7.5 has to have an inaudible cue added to the end of the track to make it pause. It's not a big deal when you get used to doing it...

...I think you'll be fine!

Michael

Thanks for the positive and encouraging feedback, Michael.

Just curious... why would you want to pause the music between tracks? I suppose, so that the performer can integrate a speaking routine into his/her show, then return back to the music... is that right?

Also, with the VSM, can the performer change the sequence of the tracks on site? Or, you would need a different system for this (ie. ShowTech with a laptop)?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 16:23, Marvello wrote:
I was shocked and amazed to see a MiniTech sell for $165, MD included, at Kidabra during the auction! I was just about to open my mouth to bid when it was sold. Ya snooze, ya lose!

Oh Marvello, say it isn't so!

I'm planning to put my Mini Tech on an online auction in a few days, and was hoping to get a bit more for it than that! I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Lyndel
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 17:40, Lyndel wrote:
Oh Marvello, say it isn't so!
That was a fluke - it was late at night and Kernal Shelton was on a roll - I think it came and went before most people, like myself, were aware or ready to bid, etc... It was definitely the deal of the night!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1810 Posts

Jonathan,

The reason I want my music to auto pause is so that it will stop on it's own at the end of a routine without requiring me to use the remote control. This is especially important in my illusion show, where I am often taking a bow when the music comes to an end. If it did not auto pause, I would have to press the pause button before the next track plays. With the auto pause, it stops and cues up the next track and waits for the next play signal.

With the VSM, or any MiniDisc-based or iPod-based music system, you can change the music order any time without the aid of a computer. The MiniDisc player and the iPod both allow you to rearrange the music.

Michael

P.S. With Jason Litchford's new Airclick Performer program, you use an Apple laptop computer for the music system so you would also be able to change the order of the music on the spot.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Very informative on the VSM and the reason for auto pauses, Michael.

As always, many thanks!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1810 Posts

Your welcome. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the VSM 7.5, especially after you get it in.

Michael
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Ummmm.....don't shoot, but....

Did you not see the thread about the iJet or Airclick and iPod Nano combo?

Not as powerful as those systems...but about 1/5th - 1/10th of the price!

Cheers,
AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes, I saw those posts. In fact, I went out and bought the Airclick and I did not have much success with it. I wanted it to work, but I could not get the remote to work right for me.

Ken
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
I own both the Airclick & IJet. The IJet is MUCH superior to the Airclick. Smaller remote, longer range, more dependable.

All The Best!
John
NealF
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of NealF
Hello folks.

I've been watching these forums to see the reviews of the iCue2. I bought one a few months ago, and had to ship it back because the internal speaker didn't work and the remote only worked up to 3 feet or so.
Kelly told me that happens with about 10 percent of the units. They fixed it and it worked fine. So far, I've only used it in rehearsal.
But because I'm in the middle of a cross-country move, I haven't used it in a few weeks. When I tried it again, the remote was back to just about 5 feet. I've tried two remote batteries and am going to Radio Shack to buy a new one today.
This worries me. The last thing anyone needs is the unit to not be reliable.
It looks like most of the comments on this site are positive. But I've already spent another $35 for shipping it back the first time, and it looks like I might have to do it again. I thought Kelly might have offered to pay for the shipping since they sent me a faulty one to begin with, but even after I asked they wouldn't do it.
Has anybody had the same problems as me?

Thanks.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hmm...I have never had that problem at all, and I have used mine literally 100 times at least. I suggest contacting Kelly again and seeing what he can do. I have yet to replace the remote battery. Even after all those performances, the signal is still strong - sounds like they may need to just give you a new system. Let us know what happens.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Argh. I've been debating for weeks over which of these to invest in to replace my original (15-year-old) ShowTech unit. I have my eye on the MP3 Tech (and discussed it in depth with Kerry Pollack) and the Icue Squared. I like the idea of not having to rely on outside power (if my speaker/amp/mixer is rechargeable/battery powered) to run things. I also like being able to change the track/show order at the venue, in case something happens. You can't do that with the MP3 Tech...unless you have your computer there. I like the customer service and reliability of ANYTHING from Wireless Wizardry, though. Anybody wanna make this decision for me?

Steve
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Let's see...call it in the air! Heads or Tails....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Virtual Soundman vs. iCue2 vs. MP3Tech/ShowTech (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL