The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » 3 Magicians in College "Need Help!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dblatt25
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dblatt25
Myself and three other magician friends of mine are putting on a benefit show for our college in November. Here's the deal ... The Show is going to be in a theater for about 400 people. We need to do about 1 hour. Only one of us has done a show this big with stage illusions. And the other two of us do mostly close-up stuff with cards and coins and silks, etc... SO.. We need a format for the show. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Tricks, routines, music, ANYTHING. This is going to be a Major show and we have a very small amount of time to prepare.

Thanks

David
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Use your strengths rather than diving into something new that will make you look amateurish.

You can incorporate some close up stuff into the show by inviting an audience member up to the stage and then doing something for that person while it being projected onto a large screen television so everyone in the audience can see it well.

Some comedy and audience participation will also help dress up smaller bits and make them play bigger. Many a successful magic show has included an invisible deck routine performed properly. Vanishing Bandanna will play nicely as well if you have a good stage presence for comedy.

Use any larger illusions you have or invite another performer to do a thing or two if they have a larger illusions. However... don't fall under the thinking that larger illusions will entertain an audience just because they are big boxes. Don't incorporate any last minute illusions you have not performed many times before.

Best,

Tim
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Great ideas Tim! Use time tested routines...Classics of magic will always work!

What kind of budget are you guys working with?

Wade
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
455 Posts

Profile of MCM
I agree with the previous. And, most big shows will have an illusion and then some "small stuff". Not only can the small stuff be good magic, but it allows those not doing the magic to set up for the next "big" bit. So, the basic format is - start out with something relatively big, then go small, big, small, etc. And you can do a small-small-big-small, etc. One thing is to list out the stuff that is "tried and true" for all members and don't' force anything new. Then take the list and see what tricks might lead into each other or complement each other. That is how you can make a show.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Check out Julian Bond's Dance Troupe vanish. He is selling an ebook on his site with detailed instructions on how to build one at a very low cost. Would prove to be an effective closing illusion for your show, assuming that you are performing the show on a theatrical stage.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Wheres the video in the first post ???

Theres no link ! Anyone has a link ?

Thanks
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1596 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 14:23, Christopher Starr wrote:
Check out Julian Bond's Dance Troupe vanish. He is selling an ebook on his site with detailed instructions on how to build one at a very low cost. Would prove to be an effective closing illusion for your show, assuming that you are performing the show on a theatrical stage.

Link please. Google couldn't find it.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
514 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
http://www.julianbondmusic.com here is his website
MagicFingers
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
230 Posts

Profile of MagicFingers
Hi David - it seems as if my Troupe Vanish has been recommended. Bless you all!

Here is the direct link to the video and eBook page: http://www.julianbondmusic.com/troupevanish.com

If you do decide to stage this, feel free to email or PM me if you need any help.

Good luck!
Julian
Julian Bond
Musician / Magician
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
492 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
My best suggestion.... Find a pro in the area and see if they will do part of the show. Trust me an hour is a long time to fill if you are not used to it. Even with dancing, it's hard for most illusions to fill more then a couple of minutes. What you really need is someone who knows how to work a crowd and fill the stage with his/her personality.

You guys can definately do some of the show, but I would seriously consider finding a Pro to do the second part of the show.
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
DBlatt25...

I also performed a few shows in college on a minimal budget. Mine followed the large illusion/ small illusion formula and were actually very profitable for the school. PM me if you want to talk details. I'd be happy to help you out.

John
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
I like the idea of having the close-up workers spend time pre-show with the audience in the lobby or auditorium as wandering magicians. This gives the audience a good deal of contact with the magician and creates a buzz. I agree that 60 minutes is a long time to fill on the stage. Work the timing a bunch of times and have a back-up planned in the event that the adrenaline during the show results in a fast performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » 3 Magicians in College "Need Help!" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL