The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I used to have this problem now and then too (I'm a hunt-and-peck typist), but what really brought it home it for me was that now and then I would hit "Submit" and something would get hung up somewhere and I'd lose the entire post. So I started writing my posts (and especially my columns) in Word and then copying and pasting them into the reply box. That way I can spell-check, grammar-check, and so forth before I hit the commit button.

Even so, I still occasionally hit the "Edit" button and correct an oops.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 17:48, magicfish wrote:
You mean you people honestly can't spell? What on earth is a "spell check" ?

Yes, magicfish there are some of us who are dyslexic.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
The too-vs-to problem is often less to do with bad grammar than a simple typo; when typing at speed, it's easy to hit the "o" key in such a way that the two seperate keyhits don't register. I've done this myself on many occasions and only noticed later when reading back the post (at which point I'll correct it if the "edit" option is still on).

One word though that is commonly mispelled is "ridiculous". This is particularly fun to see in the context of heated flame posts in which the poster is getting on their intellectual high-horse berating another poster for their "rediculous" point of view. Some even hit the jackpot and criticise people for their "rediculous" spelling.

A feature I do miss on this forum that exists on others is the ability to preview your post before posting. Reading a lengthy post through in the entry box is OK but seeing the text all set out as it will appear makes it much easier to revise the overall tone of the post (and so change anything that may come across the wrong way) and to immediately correct any obvious typos and spelling errors.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Smile

Before the google spellcheck...

"Regaurding thee gooogle spillcheck, leets c iff it werks..."

After the google spellcheck...

"Regarding thee google spellcheck, leets c if it works." Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Hostile18
View Profile
Loyal user
London
231 Posts

Profile of Hostile18
Can I just use this thread to say that every time someone writes about "slight-of-hand" I physically wince.

It does make me wonder how many alleged magicians have actually never read a book about magic. Or been to school.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A favorite on the forums is "Please see my 'sight' for information."

Site as in building site...as in I am on a site about magic. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have a lot of slight of hands on my sight.

Posted: May 26, 2007 3:30am
Quote:

On 2007-03-23 23:00, jlevey wrote:

Before the google spellcheck...

"Regaurding thee gooogle spillcheck, leets c iff it werks..."

After the google spellcheck...

"Regarding thee google spellcheck, leets c if it works."

Hmmm. Google always capitalizes it's own name by default.

"Thee" is a correctly spelled word "c" won't get checked and words like "hap4py" are ignored because of the stupid "OMG's" and crap that is common with the retarded public school taught common vernacular.

So either we proof read as well as spell check, or we sound as stupid as I do while doing both.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Spell Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

- Martha Snow
Otterish
View Profile
New user
Behind you!
5 Posts

Profile of Otterish
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 15:04, DStachowiak wrote:
Odldy, a reecnt epxemiriment demeonrtsatd taht the barin is cpabale of inrettrepnig the snese of amoltst any wrod in Egnislh if the fsrit and lsat lteetrs are cecrrot

Ow! Great way to give a headache to a dyslexic.
Querant: Is this real?
Otterish: Are you?
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
Thank you for the tip and I will spell check my posts from now on.

Dean
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Another irritation misspelling is that of "congratulations". Ever some store manager cooked up the idea of congratulating graduates, I get all kinds of mail, email and IMs with people wishing to "congradulate [sic]" me
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
princehal
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
214 Posts

Profile of princehal
If you use Firefox, there is a spelling add-on that will check spelling as you type, and underline misspelled words.
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
The Electronic Blindfold - no matter what you type, the moment you post it or print it an error will creep in.
Don't forget to breathe.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-11-01 13:54, calamari wrote:
I claim that words were mispelled by the originators and I am just fixing them.
Rich

*misspelled.

The one I see most often on the internet is "definately" instead of "definitely."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Use the Firefox spell-check thing and you won't have a problem.

It doesn't recognise the word "Firefox" though, unless you add it to the dictionary!

Personally, I don't really care if people make spelling mistakes, as long as I can understand the post.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 18:18, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
http://www.eispell.com gets you a free and well behaved spell checker for your browser.

:)

Great! God forbid we should actually learn english. Is there a "magic checker" 'cause I am having trouble with that two?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is that an American spell checker or an English one?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
The biggest problem I find with spell checkers is that, as long as the word you type is an actual word, the spell checker will approve of it, even if it is the wrong word.
There are far two many ways this can lead too problems. I can think of at least to of them right now.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. _I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

But then I guess all the correct letters have to be there in the first place. ;o)

LOL, speaking of spellcheckers I think I just burned mine out with this post!

Sevten
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
If you're using IE Explorer, then there is a great spell checker available free. You just type in what you want, right click your mouse, and select Check Spelling. If you're interested go here to download it:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spelling Mistakes (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL