The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
I've found another Firefox spellchecker :]
Its called "United States English Spellchecker", and it works with Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey Smile
In fact, I'm using it write know to right this post. It works frilly well Smile

its found at: https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox......pellche/
you just click download and it doesn't even pop up a window. to enable it, right-click in a textbox and go down to "languages" and click the "English(United States)" option, it instantly starts working. :}
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
.........In particular, it would be very helpful if the names of tricks and their manufacturers/creators were spelled properly. Since I am new, I rely on the spelling to find the products online.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Im dyslexic, but it hasn't stopped me getting a PhD. Best tip I had from an English teacher, in days before spell checkers, was to re-read my work backwards. That way you look at individual words. When you read the normal way you brain misses mistakes as you know what the sentence is saying and therefore don't focus on individual works so much.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 14:19, pieaddict wrote:
Im dyslexic, but it hasn't stopped me getting a PhD. Best tip I had from an English teacher, in days before spell checkers, was to re-read my work backwards. That way you look at individual words. When you read the normal way you brain misses mistakes as you know what the sentence is saying and therefore don't focus on individual works so much.

That is a fantastic tip.
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
That is a great tip!
liormk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of liormk
I believe firefox now has a built-in spellchecker. Mine wasn't turned on automatically, but all you have to do is right-click the text box and make sure "check spelling" is checked.

firefox spell checking
Premier Magic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Premier Magic
This works well in google chrome ...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai......en?hl=en
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
I try to use a spell checker!
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, ihave wrote:
I try to use a spell checker!

You should use your psychic powers!
Then you wouldn't have any need for a spell checking script!
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2013, magicman344 wrote:
That is a great tip!

indeed
KirbyKoolAid
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of KirbyKoolAid
Has anyone suggested Grammarly? Works very well with Firefox, and does everything from things on here to Facebook to Google.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Spell checking and proofreading are too low on the list in this business. I can show you multiple errors in any issue of Genii or MAGIC from the past year.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
How about... getting a life? Forums are a place to freely exchange ideas. this is not a formal place for perfect grammar. Also, there are people from all over the world with different levels of command of the English language.

KJ
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
How about... getting a life?

KJ

I agree, also reading nigh on 10 years of posts before one makes one of their own to deride... someone in the past.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I just popped back on and figured I'd do something with my last post.

I have spelled poorly, I have insulted others for spelling poorly, I have even insulted others for insulting others for spelling poorly... over the years since Al Gore invented the Internet I have been part of it and realized something: Everyone does something wrong, spelling, sentance structure, facts, not recognizing I am the best person ever... none of it really matters. Try to make your sentance legible, you've done your job.

This is sort of an "AA" thing, except I'm no quitter.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
A little self-esteem would help. The ease with which we use digital communications seems to have created a one-take culture -- folks record something once quickly and call it done. We see it here in posts that were never re-read by the poster. If they had looked back at their post before hitting "enter," they'd have to admit that even THEY couldn't read it. And YouTube is full of it -- people who fire off a video of a sloppy performance or who create a tutorial, half of which is excuses for why it didn't come out so well. This digital stuff -- text and video -- is so fast and easy, why do folks not re-type or re-shoot rather than to present themselves as less than they are? Have some pride, everyone!
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Or we could all just be a little more tolerant of each other Smile
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
davefilms
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of davefilms
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2006, mrunge wrote:
Thanks, Mike. Great suggestion.

I'll let you in on a little program (free) that I use that will eliminate the cut and paste steps. It's an IE spell checker that is, basically, a small utility program that can check the spelling of anything being typed in Internet-based programs, such as the Magic Café.

Here is the link:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Just download the small (1.96 MB) file and follow the directions.

Once installed, after typing something, just "right click" with your cursor in the text block and select "check spelling." The program will then let you know if everything is OK and, if not, let you replace whatever is wrong with the corrections - just like any other spell checker.

I have been using this little program for years. The price is right (FREE), it is small, taking up very little space on my hard drive, and is really easy to use (again, just a right click with the mouse).

Hope this helps. Mark. Smile

Grammarly.com has a Safari plugin that checks grammar and spelling. Free!
markcall
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of markcall
Ha ha .. thank goodness for SPELL CHECK in Chrome as after I write a post it has tons of RED LINES .. I just FIX and submit!
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2015, magicshowprod wrote:
Or we could all just be a little more tolerant of each other Smile

This is a whole lot easier to do when everyone else is at least trying to put forth an effort. Otherwise, we are just promoting willful ignorance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spelling Mistakes (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL