The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » £50 fine for smoking on Stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Well, during the Fringe Festival, 2 actors were both fined £50 for smoking on stage. This was in Scotland but will also happen in England next year. So I guess it really is finally the end for cigarette manipulation.

I'm sorry Mr Calvert, but that's £50 per cigerette, which takes us up to the grand total of £5000.

Anyone want to buy some cigarette droppers?
Paul
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
NOt sure if this is correct, but I saw a play where there was smoking (here in the colonies) and the program said "The cigarettes used in the production were props and did not contain tobacco."

Perhaps, that would be a way around the law. Of course, you would have to check first and be able to prove what you are using does not contain tobacco.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
A lot of theaters have been using fake cigarettes for quite some time now, both to comply with non-smoking regulations and because a lot of actors nowadays don't smoke and would rather not. The fake cigs are readily available and some actually look quite real (they even blow smoke).

Cigarette manipulation became popular back in the late 20's - early 30's when smoking was considered a "sophisticated" thing to do and it was almost expected in some circles. So, in reality, the performers were just doing manipulation with what the audience perceived as "common everyday objects," and could relate to the... impracticality (?)... of handling and hiding lit cigarettes.

IMHO, cigarette manipulation is just a carry-over from another time period and mentality, and I think it's time to move on to something else.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Like crack pipes and heroin needles and the marijuana roach?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Dang it JOSH!!

You just made me spew my bourbon and coke all over my computer screen!

Do you KNOW how sticky Jim Beam is??????

Thanks for the laugh!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
There have always been fire regulations which restricted any kind of smoking or flame.
I don't think anything has changed in that respect, except that these days smoking is no longer regarded as exceptable, fire risk or not.

We have to find something to replace cigarettes ! But I don't know what with.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 06:09, eddieloughran wrote:
There have always been fire regulations which restricted any kind of smoking or flame.

I'm going to mention this just as a sidebar, something I saw years ago and which I thought was, well, interesting.

There was a piece in Toastmasters Magazine in which a member was talking about this bit he did to make a point in a speech. He would take out a dollar bill, light it on fire, let it burn down to almost nothing, and then drop it in an ashtray.

In the next issue there was a letter to the editor from a member who said he was a fire marshall. He said, and I'll never forget this, he was "deeply disturbed" that this other member was "advocating" setting fire to an object in a room. From the tone of his letter, I thought he was having an apoplectic fit even as he was writing it. He ended the letter by saying, and I quote, "IT'S ILLEGAL."

Of course, Toastmasters had to print it, if only to cover themselves legally. But what I thought was interesting was that, although the guy did have a valid point, he totally focused (obsessed?) on the fire instead of just explaining the problem and suggesting the original writer tear up the bill instead, or something similar. In other words, rather than taking the opportunity to "educate" the readership to a real fire safety issue -- which is what I would have thought a fire marshall would do -- he chose instead to throw a tantrum on paper.

They're out there.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 23:32, George Ledo wrote:
He ended the letter by saying, and I quote, "IT'S ILLEGAL."

Knowing what he lit and the fact that there was an ashtray nearby didn't sound so bad. But when you think about it, he did create a fire in a room with people in it! It's a bottom line for a Fire Marshall.

With the recent "Great White" band tragedy (I still can't believe flash pots were going off that close to the audience) we've seen the restrictions tightened.

I don't think Fire Marshalls are even comfortable or thrilled with a performer lighting a few candles eventhough they are small flames and extinguished rather quickly.

It's all fire to a Fire Marshall and I'm sure they're tired of risking their lives to enter buildings on fire to save lives.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-09-04 22:19, Josh Riel wrote:
Like crack pipes and heroin needles and the marijuana roach?

You're catching on! Smile LMAO!!!

John Calvert wouldn't get fined doing his cigarette act - he doesn't light them at all. It's still a great act!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Well, like I said, the guy who wrote the letter did have a valid point, but, as we all know, it's not so much what you say as how you say it. I've worked with a few fire department people over the years, and so far they've all been more than helpful when it comes to educating the public.
www.georgefledo.net

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Is flash paper considered a threat? Lighting a match??
-Stevie D
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
[quote]On 2006-09-15 02:03, dxsare wrote:
Is flash paper considered a threat? Lighting a match??
[/quote

As goofy as it sounds, there are places in the USA that REQUIRE a pior-Lic. For flash paper! Welcome the the 21st century!
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Yes, I know that my fingers messed up the abbreviation for piro (Yes I am from the generation of being responsible for my own actions and mistucks)
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
I would like to see a really good smokeless cig. on the market...someting that blows real smoke. I would like to get into cig manip. but cant because of asthma...plus smoking is nasty...well to me neways.. :o)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
PYRO is the correct spelling.
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Quote:
As goofy as it sounds, there are places in the USA that REQUIRE a pior-Lic. For flash paper! Welcome the the 21st century!

If you read the appropriate laws, I'm sure you'll find that a pyro licence is required in ALL states to use flash paper. Nitro-cellulose is an explosive. Therefore will require a licence. Luckly most people don't understand what's happening when they see flash paper being used and so don't realise this. Hence you can get away with using flash paper without a licence. Until, that is, the fire marshall sees you.

Sometimes I'm glad I work in Australia Smile
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Thanks for the help on spelling Piro, Mr. Byro! No strike that - now reverse it. Thanks for the help on spelling Pyro, Mr. Biro!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Biro is my Pen Name.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » £50 fine for smoking on Stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL