The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » A New Tactic For The Approach (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

A frequent topic of conversation is the initial approach to strangers for whom one wishes to perform Magic. Since I have neither a camera crew nor an heavy metal soundtrack to accompany my efforts, low-key methods have always been appealing to me. Recently, I've begun trying one such approach with impressive results: Honesty.

I will approach a group of lively strangers at Starbucks (or the swap meet, a restaurant, what have you) and ask them if they enjoy Magic. Surprisingly, the responses have been very enthusiastic.

Yes, yes, I know...this "honesty" stuff sets a bad precedent, and I'd prefer that this sort of truthfulness didn't rub off too heavily on other aspects of my Art (or life, for that matter...). But with Magic, it's working out quite nicely Smile

Leland
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
Well, they always say that honesty is the best policy! lol Glad it's working out well for ya! Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, Leland, you could always go "Stephen Colbert" on them and try for "Truthiness," instead. As it is now a real word - thanks to the esteemed Mr. Colbert (a true genius and Real American if ever there was one!), magi all over the world can still strive for Truthiness instrad of being truthful.

At least it works for me.

Bwahahahaha!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
EvilGenius
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EvilGenius
Being truthful upfront adds to credibility more than having a camera crew, I would think.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Lee:

Thanks for the heads-up, that's a GREAT model for a Magician to emulate! Smile Colbert's got the earnestness of Cronkite, the intensity of Murrow, and the insane deadpan of John Cleese. I think I can pull that off, too!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 14:56, Leland Stone wrote:
A frequent topic of conversation is the initial approach to strangers for whom one wishes to perform Magic. Since I have neither a camera crew nor an heavy metal soundtrack to accompany my efforts, low-key methods have always been appealing to me. Recently, I've begun trying one such approach with impressive results: Honesty.

I don't why everyone assumes that a camera crew equals an instant crowd ... I have captured twenty-nine 90 minute tapes of myself performing street magic over the summer, and nearly an equal amount of footage last summer. And a camera does not bring in crowds ... in fact, a lot of people are camera shy and will do their best to stay out of the sight of the camera.

Bottom line: if you can't draw a crowd without a camera, don't expect to be able to draw a crowd with a camera either ... there is no substitute for experience.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I agree with JoeJoe. I have had people who were very enthusiastic at first about seeing some magic and after they noticed the camera became very uneasy and didn't want to have anything to do with it.
sure it depends on the people you are trying to perform for but JoeJoe has made a very good point there. if you cannot draw a crowd on your own the camera won't do you any good.

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-09-04 20:16, JoeJoe wrote:

I don't why everyone assumes that a camera crew equals an instant crowd ... I have captured twenty-nine 90 minute tapes of myself performing street magic over the summer, and nearly an equal amount of footage last summer. And a camera does not bring in crowds ... in fact, a lot of people are camera shy and will do their best to stay out of the sight of the camera.

Bottom line: if you can't draw a crowd without a camera, don't expect to be able to draw a crowd with a camera either ... there is no substitute for experience.

-JoeJoe

I don't think crowds approach a video shoot to be on camera necessarily but to see what is going on. Here I'm talking about the kind of video shoot that a David Blane or Criss Angel would have which would include several large professional video cameras, a sound guy with a boom mike, a crew and perhaps even supplemental lighting equipment. THAT'S what draws the crowd. Very different from your friend with a mini-cam.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2006-09-04 20:16, JoeJoe wrote:

-JoeJoe

I was actually taking a gentle swipe at Blaine and Angel, whose approaches use a large amount of technology and crew at least partially as an attention-getting device to build a crowd. It is often the case that cameras, mikes, and other gear attract attention -- movie shoots are sometimes found here in Cali, and crowds typically form to watch the spectacle. It's indisputable that Magi need experience, and skill to attract and hold a crowd's attention, but having a television crew is big leg up also. My only point was that lacking same I have to rely on other means.

Thanks for your encouragement from the street,
Leland
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Thanks for the kind words, Leland. And if you CAN bring off a "Stephen Colbert as Magician" act, you may well be the next Big Thing IN magic!

Maybe I can go for Carlos Mencia... but I'll have to work on my spanish... and become latino... and...

Naw.... I'm too Scots/Danish for THAT to EVER work! Smile Smile Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
I was actually taking a gentle swipe at Blaine and Angel, whose approaches use a large amount of technology and crew at least partially as an attention-getting device to build a crowd. It is often the case that cameras, mikes, and other gear attract attention -- movie shoots are sometimes found here in Cali, and crowds typically form to watch the spectacle. It's indisputable that Magi need experience, and skill to attract and hold a crowd's attention, but having a television crew is big leg up also. My only point was that lacking same I have to rely on other means.

You don't understand ... they are not using or relying on or depending on a camera crew to draw a crowd, in all reality anybody standing there because of the cameras is in the way. You don't want people standing around trying to get on TV, you want people there watching the magic. Some goofy kid waving in the background screaming "HI MOM" is a complete distraction from whats really going on. If your impressions of their crowds were accurate, their shows would look more like the Today show with people standing around holding signs.

Watch these guys closely and you will notice their techniques ... Chris has an uncanny ability to do it ... his openning line is usually just "hi". Its so simple your not even noticing it - "hi". that's all he says, he holds his hand out and goes "hi" ... "I'm Chris". That's an openner right there. It would work for anybody with or without a camera crew, all you need is the confidence to do it.

-JoeJoe
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
A few things. First I think Leland is joking about the approach being new, how else would you approach a group of people to do magic? Sure some do the knife thing at tables but the people at the table are typically aware there is a magician working and have seen the fellow at tables earlier in the evening.

Now for the camera crew issue. You have Blaine and Angel with full crews, lighting, 'people', and the actual spectators that are not part of the crew sign releases and are told what is expected from them and what they shouldn't do, all that good stuff. Penn and Teller did a great piece on their underwater special where they just got people to 'react to magic' that never occured. People were amazed, screaming, shocked, you name it....and responding to nothing.
Steve V
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I can get a crowd of people to stand on one foot and wave their hand in the air, any performer that is in control of his audience can ... they were not responding to the camera, they were responding to Penn and Teller. But that is all irrelevant to the topic at hand ... approaching people.

All you need to do is say "hi" to someone, and in almost all cases they will respond with "hi". You can dispute that it works for Angel/Blaine, but you can't dispute that it works ... if you want to, I'll find you hours of clips of me saying "hi" to people ... even P&T have to say hi to their audience. There is no better appraoch than "hi".

At an LA movie shoot, a crowd forms not because there is a camera crew ... but because people want to see whats going on. You don't need a movie shoot to make your magic interesting. If you can get one person to watch you, someone else will come along and wonder what he is watching ... and then more people will come along. And soon, your magic show will look like a movie shoot. And it all starts with one word: "hi".

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » A New Tactic For The Approach (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL