The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bob Hanko, anyone know of him? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
I have an early American edition of "Our Magic" (Dutton & Co) previously owned by the Magician Bob Hanko (Robert R. Hanko). In searching the internet the only reference to Bob Hanko I came across is from Rice's Encyclopedia of Magic. The "Flash Cigarette to Silk" (Vol 1 p 396) and the "Sympathetic Silk Effect" (Vol 3 p1104) are both credited to Bob Hanko. I'm now curious to learn a little more about this magician and would appreciate hearing from anyone that has some addition information to share about this fellow.

Thanks
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
No listing found for a Robert Hanko in Bart Whaley's "Who's Who in Magic..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
frankmtviewman
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of frankmtviewman
I was browsing and came across your post.

I was at a local used book store Christmas eve and came across a unique collection of
books on the subject at hand. All had a bookplate and stamp of "Robert R. Hanko" and "Hanko the magician"

I acquired what I could afford and spent a while reading the rest. I'm glad to know that they belonged to someone who got the bug as I did and was able to keep the magic alive.

I found the following obituary:

Publication Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2001

Robert R. Hanko, computer engineer and early 'residentialist' leader

Robert Raymond Hanko, 78, an early computer engineer and "moderate residentialist" leader in Palo Alto during the early 1970s, died Dec. 17 following a year-long illness.
Hanko and his wife, Nonette, a founder and board member of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, celebrated their 53rd wedding anniversary Oct. 7, and last year observed their 50th year of residing in Palo Alto.

Hanko in the early 1970s served as moderator of the Palo Alto Civic League, an organization formed to represent the "moderate residentialist" viewpoint following a bitter all-council election in 1967.

Professionally, Hanko retired in 1984 as an engineer/manager and educator at IBM in San Jose, capping a career with IBM that began in 1948.

A native of New Jersey, he moved to the Peninsula with his family while still an infant, when his father was transferred west to manage the Pacific Coast branch of the Simmons Bed Co. The family resided in Burlingame, San Francisco and Millbrae during his childhood, and he graduated from Burlingame High School in 1941.

While in high school, Hanko developed what became a lifelong interest in magic and became well-known for his magic shows. After graduation, he joined Francisco's Midnight Spook Show as a magician and toured across the United States for a year.

He entered the University of California, Berkeley, but quit in his first semester to join the U.S. Army. He was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps and was trained to be a radar operator, using the new technology to watch for enemy submarines off the coast of Puget Sound. By the end of World War II he was teaching radar at Fort Monroe, Va. -- demonstrating what became a career-long interest in computer technology and teaching.

Following his discharge, Hanko resumed his education, enrolling in the San Mateo junior college and later transferred to the Art Center in Los Angeles, where he studied photographic art.

He joined IBM in 1948 as an engineer, but moved into the company's training program, ultimately becoming manager of the Systems ****ysis Program in the San Jose plant. He proposed and designed IBM's pioneering "Excellence Program," a precursor to quality-assurance programs throughout the industry.

He and Nonette were married in 1948, also. They moved to Palo Alto in 1950. He was the father of Valoran Hanko of Palo Alto, Bobette Parsons of Gig Harbor, WA, Terilyn Hanko of Hillsborough and Alice Rush of El Dorado Hills, CA. He also is survived by seven grandchildren.

A memorial service is scheduled for Friday, Dec. 28, 2 to 4 p.m. at the Unity Church, 3391 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto. His ashes will be scattered on family property in the Sierra Nevada mountains, near Twain Harte. The family prefers memorials be donations to the Peninsula Open Space Trust, 3000 Sand Hill Road, Suite 4-135, Menlo Park, CA 94025.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I never met Bob but was also (later) an assistant in Francisco's Midnight Spook Shows. As far as I know Sid Fleischman and I are the two remaining former Francisco assistants still lving. Anyone out there know of others?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Well, lets bring this up to date. I was perusing an Abbott's 1937 catalog, Number 4, and the name Bob Hanko, Magician was on the cover. I decided to google his name and came up with this thread and another thread about inventors of magic tricks and Mr. Hanko is listed as the inventor of, Flash Cigarette to Silk. Small world.
There is a trick in the #10 Tannen catalog called, Puff Hankerchief Production where a cigarette is shoved into your fist, there is a puff of smoke and a 18" silk appears. Don't know if it's the same.

http://www.magicvideolibrary.com/Magicinventors.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bob Hanko, anyone know of him? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL