The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Your thoughts on Torn by Daniel Garcia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mzr9mm
View Profile
New user
Bistrita, Romania
93 Posts

Profile of mzr9mm
Absolutly LOVE Torn !!! Always vae always will, actually performed it tonight in a bar, a waitress almost fainted and the guys I was with ran out screaming Smile I realy enjoyed the moment.

All in all TORN is a wondelfull effect, it was money well spent, if you give it the pracice it deserves it will make an incredible T&R effect.

Also I have to agree with Matt, better doing a piece by piece restoration than a flash restoration, more visual, more incredible.

-Daniel.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I just got it a couple days ago. I have been through an entire deck practicing. I do admit that I don't like the angle issues with Torn. Seems like I could only do it for 1 or 2 people while standing dead on. That just isn't how I work. And I don't like how the card is signed, although I see the reason for it. But there are times where there should be a signature for the spec to see but how everything is folded and with the gimmick it isn't there. But my main complait is about it's angles. I have yet to show it to anyone, I'll show what I have to a fellow magician and get his take on it.

On a side note I didn't like the lay out of the DVDs menus. I had to practically get my nose touching the screen to read what some of the options in the menu said. I hate that you have no control over the demo, can't pause, slow, ff ect.

I found his "M-Kay" to be a little annoying.

And I felt there was something lacking in his teaching of the effect. The POV was pretty neat though. But I think there is something missing in how he teaches the effect. And I don't know about the rest of you but I want patter, need patter. I don't like effects without patter. Puts too much heat on what I am doing, patter gives some misdirection.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Re the patter, I don't necessarily look to effects to provide me patter. I put off buying 'Entourage" because I couldn't get the lame patter on the demo out of my head (finally did buy it and am happy -- and I do it without mentioning the queen and her entourage...)

But I am with you on "Torn." I've practiced this on my g.f. a couple of times and her critique is that I look like I'm concentrating so much on the effect that I need good patter to keep it moving for her. Which is true.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I agree that you have to put a lot of work in dealing with the angles.
about the patter, I agree with bugjack, I come up with my own patter.
I have to have something that fits my style.
if I was to use the patter provided with each effect I perform it would be really weird.just a bunch of other guys' personalities thrown in into my performance.
that just wouldn't be entertaining at all.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Humester
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Humester
I've just purchased Torn and am working through the handling. Overall I am happy with my purchase. Will I use Torn as a regular part of my repertoire? That's yet to be seen BUT nearly everytime I invest in new material I gain an idea or approach I hadn't considered before. Many times I've "chucked" a trick but adopted a handling or idea. Overall, I become a better magician.
Humester
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
My 2 cents on Torn: it's not my style of effect, but I sure do enjoy watching it.
Intuition
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Intuition
Torn is my favourite "torn and restored" card effect. The only downside is that you cannot show both sides of the card.
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
Has anyone checked out Michael Close's version of T&R? I read a few people comparing it to Wagner's method but supposedly he has refined the routine quite a bit. For only $12.95 I am pretty tempted to check it out but wanted to see if anyone here has any insight into it compared to Torn by Garcia.

You can check out a demo of it at his website:
Michael Close T&R
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
A bit too angly for my taste.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've heard Stephen Tucker's new ebook on the torn and restored card plot is very good.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
I bought Torn a few months ago and thought it was in effect, real pure looking magic. However... as a working pro doing close-up at weddings, corporate events etc I'm rarely in a situation where I can use it due mainly to angle problems which are unfortunately un-resolvable. You either need to be peforming it dead on to those watching or at a bit of a distance to reduce angle problems. It's a trick much more suited to set-performance parlour work etc.

I used to do Paul Harris's ultimate rip-off which I think is excellent and virtually angle proof..but its that last darn piece!
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
In my mind, TORN is the best torn & restored I've seen and believe me, I have seen a lot of versions, owning different versions myself. Torn is by far my favorite!

Of course, you have to master it before performing it. I'm not better than anyone here. I got caught up in the trap of wanting to perform the effect after only a couple of hours in front of the mirror. So what happened, I blew it the first time I tried it for a layman.

I'm still practicing and mastering the effect as I'm writing these lines because it's such a strong effect IF it is performed the RIGHT way and I surelly don't want to blow it again the next time I'll perform the effect for the laymen.

So awesome effect, looks like real magic BUT you'll have to put in the time to practice it!

Danik
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I just purchased Fusion, any opinions on how this compares to Torn
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
I own quite a few, and I think that Torn is the best. Hey Cameron, mind posting a video???
Adam
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
I really enjoy performing Garcia's "Torn", but if you want to spice it up for the spectator’s sake, I suggest adding fire to the routine with "Torched & Restored", which you can find at Penguin magic. Check this one out, very visual & skillfully easy restoration. I love performing this for friends after a good dinner.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I agree....the torch part is neat, when you can safely use it... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
While I like Torn, it's just a slight variation of Ripped and Restored (available from Meir Yedid). Garcia does credit this as his inspiration, but I really don't think the apple fell far enough from the tree to justify a separate release. JMHO.
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
I have had success in the past with "The Ultimate Ripoff" by Harris, the last piece seems to be a much bigger issue for performers than spectators.

I picked up a copy of Guy Hollingworth's book on the weekend, which has "The Reformation". Anyone doing this one? Comments?
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
I have just spent the best part of 3 hrs researching T+R Effects and had almost decided to go with TORN the handling looks like something I could get down without too much trouble its my kind of effect without a doubt, but after watching the demo closely I had some concerns of what appeared to be a strategically placed signature and Joey seems to have confirmed my concerns which is dissapointing, I don't like the idea of asking someone to sign a card in a certain position, are my concerns unfounded? is there a way round this?
appreciate an experienced TORN members thoughts on this.

Jason
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Have you checked out Warped And Restored by yours truly
only one card no gimmicks or dupes and is totally impromptu .The card can be signed any place..but is a flash restoration
pm me for a demo with e mail address..

Torn is a piece by piece restoration and is hard to beat torn is more for parlour.
my effect is excellent for walk around and there is no angle problems it is also a three phase effect but rtrmrmber these are tow differnt effects and I stll say torn is one of the best
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Your thoughts on Torn by Daniel Garcia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL