The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Out Of This World? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 09:14, David Bond wrote:
The original OOTW was from Paul Curry. I believe that "Gen" U.F. Grant developed the first impromptu version. The Grant version is a wonderful construction and I highly recommend it.

Grant's was called "Nu-Way Out of This World" and is worth taking the time to locate.

No Stacks, no controls, no manipulation, no gimmicked cards...it must be REAL Magic. Smile

Julie
Aspology
View Profile
New user
Belgium
52 Posts

Profile of Aspology
I've once found a trick in a belgian magazine where you first do 2 more different tricks with a stacked deck. But everybody sees the deck in the beginning of this trick. Then you do a simple ace revelation, then the spectators may choose 2 cards, you'll find them and the last effect is out of this world.
Dare 2 believe in magic
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I worked out a special version of the Grant Nu-Way Out of This World effect. You'll find it on my web site under article 21 in the memorized deck section of the site. Enjoy.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
The biggest problem I have with most presentations of this effect is that there's usually no rationale given for switching the indicator cards.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I never thought impromptu method of OOTW like Grant version is worth for a professional work. I would like to hear experiences of professionals who use impromptu version of OOTW. Thanks in advance.

I only perform gaff version of Kennedy's 'Reds & Blacks' and Curry's original version with Stripper Deck.

BTW, Loomis-san's method is interesting. As I can't use Memorised Stack, I would use shuffled red/black Marked Deck.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
Changing spectator has been a good reason to change indicator cards for a long time. (or Magicain does first half rather quickly).
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I've never had a problem with changing the indicator cards. It's typical of randomizing activities like sports events where the teams or players change sides of the field at half time.

With either a memorized or marked deck, you don't have to look at the cards as you proceed. Using a memorized deck is probably no better than using a deck that's separated into reds and blacks... except that a memorized deck is a tool that I have on me almost always when I'm performing.

I've used the Grant Impromptu version for a long time. Simply because I don't have to carry a deck in red-black separation. However, if I find a deck sitting around in someone's home and can get it to a private location where I can set it up, I'll just do the red/black separation. I return the deck to it's spot and later if the topic turns to magic... well I'm all set.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Loomis-san, thank you for writitng your experience with Grant version. So it is a good impromptu method when we are not prepared for OOTW.

I think we, especially professionals must be prepared to do magic most effectively.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks Dennis . . . I will try this out.
Cards never lie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Out of This World is my favorite impromtu trick with a borrowed deck.

I use the switching colors as an opportunity to do a false cut and start over with the deck in the spectator's hands. What could be fairer?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Perhaps this is obvious but you can use the slop shuffle to do the setup for OOTW.

Gil Scott
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2664 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I actually did a version of OOTW with a blind person and it was the hit of the party. Absolutely a great trick with lots of possibilities.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8555 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Interesting that no one has mentioned my OUT OF THIS UNIVERSE here. Veerry interesting HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jason Shapiro
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jason Shapiro
Harry, you beat me to it! They shuffle the cards and they lay them down! A number prediction and an amazing finish. This is the one I use if I have a full deck. A shuffled, borrowed deck which could be set up right in front of them. "It's a gasper" for sure! THANK YOU!

Jason Shapiro
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1388 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Harry's 'Out of This Universe' from 'Close-Up Card Magic' is a fantastic effect and, incidentally, one of the very first card tricks I learned. It couldn't be simpler and it packs a wallop.

The other one I use is Paul Harris' 'Galaxy'. Phenomenal.

Both of these require a setup. So, are they impromptu? Depends on your definition. For me, yes. I can move the deck into setup position in about 20 seconds or less for either effect using an angle seperation. Nothing suspicious about it.

As for those concerned about any discrepancy in 'Galaxy', you can forget your fears. I've been doing this for years and, trust me, it kills. Those of you saying the laypeeps will go home and reconstruct it based on the packet pickup & turnover at the end either haven't ever performed this for real people or you simply haven't been doing magic for very long. The discrepancy in the pickup/display is utterly invisible to them, psychologically.
And if you think specs are going to go home later and properly reconstruct the routine (or even care to) you're only fooling yourself. Not to mention, if that's what they're thinking about when you finish performing, then it's time to adjust your performance style.

Both of these versions, in my experienced opinion, are top notch killer effects and far superior to anything involving packet switches mid-routine.. That's just clutter.

The only thing cleaner, really, would be a gaffed version like Dean Dill & Michael Weber's 'New World', which is superb, though, honestly, I'm not sure that laypeeps would really remember it any differently than something like 'Galaxy'.
It's all in the reflexes.
damagic1
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of damagic1
Galaxy by Paul Harris gets my vote.
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Here's my testimony for the effectiveness of Out of this Universe by Harry:

This is by far one of the most effective version I do, In my opinion. I recently got a job with this trick. A magician walked into the shop where I work and we started to talk shop. He opened up a deck and shuffled it and did a few effects for me. They were pretty good, but he explained to me he does mostly big illusion and has a traveling variety show which was currently on tour. I then asked to borrow his deck, did a couple of effects, and WOWed the crap out of him.. I then performed Out of this Universe for him. After this we has totally flabergasted, (mainly because it was his shuffled deck...thanks angle seperation), but because of the way the routine is structured, even if it was my deck it would throw him off. He then immediately told me he needed more close-up magicians on his show and now I am scheduled to perform at his next Denver show mid-july. I also performed this for an other magician while we were discussing different version of OOTW. Once again, because of the sequencing, it totally threw him off. Even if a magician knows about the set-up, this still fools the hell out of him. I have also performed this many times for lay-men and just like OOTW, they don't stand a chance. It's also nice to have something so simple that fools fellow magicians. SO my testimony to Out of this Universe is that I have one more weekend in July booked up...That's always a great feeling
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
745 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
As much as I like UF Grant's impromptu version...

My favorite is without a doubt - Gordon Bean's "SPLITTING THE DIFFERENCE" (written up in Genii approx. 2 years ago):

*Legit RIFFLE-SHUFFLE at the start - no holding any cards back (can be done by spectator).

*Legit one complete CUT (can be done by spectator).

NO SWITCH or "funny moves" at the end... Spectators can turn all the cards face-up themselves. When spectators decide to stop - that's it..immediately THEY turn all the cards over...and see the 100% correct "Red" & "Black" results in both piles.

Involves the "Gilbreath principle".

Can you tell I love it?
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
J.C. Wagner's OTW from 7 Secrets is great - and impromptu
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-06-08 16:56, Moxahalla wrote:
Legit one complete CUT (can be done by spectator).

If you let spectator cut the deck, how can you know if the deck is cut at proper place (Between two reds or between two blacks, etc)?

Hideo Kato
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1718 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
After following talk on ootw I've noticed that there are perhaps a decent amount of good versions.

I've always done an impromptu one never knowing there were any alternatives. It's a great effect and floors people of course, but could it be made stronger with a set up deck done as I guess as is te original?

I don't separate the colors, it's shuffled (legitimately) and shown to be in random order during both phases (mine has two, one from "my perspective" and "their perspective") as I display the cards.

The cards are "worked" during the course of the routine. What am I losing out on by trading impromptu versus set-up?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Out Of This World? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL