The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Protecting DVD's... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greets... not sure where to post this...

To protect and increase the life of my precious DVD's (I have 3 little kids!), I've discovered the following: TDK ScratchProof DVD's. They used to be called TDK Armored DVD's. You can order them from places like newegg.com for about $36/50 blanks. You can rub them on concrete without damaging them. Of course,you will need 2 DVD drives in your PC, one of which is a burner, and software to copy disk-to-disk. Just copy all your dvd's to the scratchproof disks, and hide the originals in the vault...

and HEY! VIDEO PRODUCERS TAKE NOTE!!! START SELLING YOUR VIDEOS ALREADY ON THESE DISKS! If my $50 DVD gets scratched, I probably WON'T buy a new one! So spend 69 cents instead of 25 cents on blank disks, and start advertising that your vids are now on scratchproof disks...

JN
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4257 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
That's a good idea. Newegg is a good place to buy because it has the cheapest prices and lots of honest reviews, it's where I bought most of my comptuer stuff. Go for it.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
TDK Scratch Proof DVD's?

Wow - 100x more scratch resistant then regular DVDs!! Thanks for the info.

Off to backing up my DVDs.

Thanks (once again!).

Smile

P.S. It's the best news since the announcement of Blu-ray disc!
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
249 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Just a couple concerns that I have about these as back-up media.

1) Scratch-proof does not equal kid-proof
2) I read somewhere that CD-R and DVD-R as recordable media do not have the longevity that we assume they have. Something about how there is a difference between being burned and being pressed. Sorry I can't be more specific. I just did a search on the longevity of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs and skimmed through a few on-line discussions on the topic.

As media that is pressed, I'm assuming this would be a good idea. I don't know how many times I've bought a DVD and have it pop off the hub in the case and get all scratched up in transit.
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
I convert all my DVDs into computer files format called MP4, and that way I can watch them without even having to get out of my chair and they don't take up too much room. I have 80 magic DVDs and in their converted form they take up around 18Gb of disk space which isn't a lot in today's terms.

As for DVDs, not only are they not kid proof, they will deteriorate over time unless you get the top notch ones and store them in the right conditions. However, data loss would be minimal for most discs even over a twenty year period and shouldn't affect your viewing pleasure. However, if you were storing computer data on disks then I would be more worried as this needing to be more accurate than a picture/video, will be more susceptible from even the slightest degredation.

Now if you think all will get better with the new DVD technology, such as Blu-Ray, then there may be more bad news for you. One of the techies at Toshiba announced yesterday that because the disks get hot when played the disks bend and end up scratching the lens on your Blu Ray player. So your disks will last but you may have to keep buying DVD players in the future.

But to a more serious point around this, and one that the film/music industry need to understand...

When Joe Public buys a DVD or CD they expect that they own the right to watch or listen to the information on that media when they want. So why is that if the media is faulty or breaks (even if it is our own fault) do we have to pay for another complete product (including license costs etc) and not just the cost of the replacement media itself? This would help get around so many issues today regarding DVDs and CDs.

So if your DVD is faulty or scratched, rather than pay $39.99 for a new one, you should just be able to get a rpelacement DVD for $1.99... as you already own the rights to watch it.

I'll get off my soap box now...
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-06 07:11, FlippingWonderful wrote:
why is that if the media is faulty or breaks (even if it is our own fault) do we have to pay for another complete product (including license costs etc) and not just the cost of the replacement media itself? This would help get around so many issues today regarding DVDs and CDs.

So if your DVD is faulty or scratched, rather than pay $39.99 for a new one, you should just be able to get a rpelacement DVD for $1.99... as you already own the rights to watch it.

POINT well convey & well brought-out. IMHO this needs serious consideration.

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On 2006-09-06 07:11, FlippingWonderful wrote:
I convert all my DVDs into computer files format called MP4, and that way I can watch them without even having to get out of my chair and they don't take up too much room. I have 80 magic DVDs and in their converted form they take up around 18Gb of disk space which isn't a lot in today's terms.

FlippingWonderful,

Sounds great, what does one need to be able to do this and how difficult is it?

Thanks,

Robert Sixx
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

I use a program called DVD to MP4 Converter by Xilisoft. It takes about 20 minutes for it to do a DVD and saves the result as a small file on your hard disk. Job done.

A search on Google or similar should bring it up.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-07 02:28, FlippingWonderful wrote:
I use a program called DVD to MP4 Converter by Xilisoft. It takes about 20 minutes for it to do a DVD and saves the result as a small file on your hard disk.

Only 20 mins to convert a DVD to MP4? Incredible!

Thank you for the info. I will look into this.

Smile
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Please consider most magic DVDs are quite short (less than 120 minutes, normally about 90 minutes), and I have a tip top computer... it will take longer on old machines, and I also put the DVD files on the PC in the first place to ensure they are not corrupt and this will make the conversion process quicker.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-07 06:20, FlippingWonderful wrote:
. . . and I also put the DVD files on the PC in the first place to ensure they are not corrupt and this will make the conversion process quicker.

Yes, that is the way it should be done. This may take a little extra effort, but it is worthwhile.

Thanks!

Smile
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Thx for the info
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Thanks for the info, I'll be looking right into it!

Thanks again,

Robert Sixx
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
There must be some loss of detail, no?

--Josh
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

If you were doing this to Lord of the Rings with its epic backdrops in widescreen, then you may notice some loss, but detail and colour balance to that degree isn't overly important in your average Magic DVD, plus your PC can upscale and progressive scan far better than any DVD player. Therefore it is very good at compensating for resolution loss, and similar found in compression.

The solution may not be for everyone's liking, but a majority of people who end up doing this will be happy with the results.
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
ALso, I would suggest for those of us who back up our stuff via computer that you invest in a portable hard drive or other means of backing up the data... As one who has had a hard drive failure and lost everything, the cost of a portable is worth it! I love the idea of scratch proof DVDs... I have ruined my Daryl DVDs having them in a case that scratched them... major bummer.
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

I store all my magic notes on my PC too, plus any ebooks etc so they're easy to search using MSN or Google Toolbar. Because of this the PC is an essential tool for me to learn and study magic and backing up to external hard disk is absolutely essential as Michaangelo says.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Going to Future shop today to check them out. Checked on line and saw a case of two but the cost was $7 for two. Works out to 10x the cost of regular dvds. Also might just buy two to see if there is any loss of picture or audio quality.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2666 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I have tons of notes and ebooks on my computer..just too much to print out. About once a month I back up all needed notes and files to a dvd.. As for backing up dvd's how do you go about it with the protection?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Protecting DVD's... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL