The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Anyone seen "Urban," the card-throwing DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
If so, I'd love to hear any/all reviews, critiques, assessments, thoughts, or ruminations on it.

--Josh
Justin R
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Justin R
I haven't heard of it. Could you please provide a link?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Sure, sorry...

The DVD is by Richard Bellars, who is a member here and mentioned this release...but I haven't seen anyone talking about it.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......p;page=1

The description:
Richard is fast becoming one of the most requested magicians at the top celebrity parties. His no nonsense, high impact approach to Magic leaves any spectator speechless.
On this DVD you will get the low-down on the astonishing feat of card throwing as Richard takes you step by step through every minor detail including: stance, aim grip, and everything you will need to know to throw cards further, faster and harder than you could ever imagine.
No stone is left unturned as you watch Richard take a complete novice and teach him to cause cards to cut through the air like a razor blade. You will see how you can add this unique skill to your magic as well as impressive demonstrations such a slicing through newspaper.
In addition to this, Richard hits the streets to perform and explain some of his astounding street magic. These are routines that are straight from his professional working repertoire and you too will be performing them everywhere.
Effects Include:
Selective Amnesia
Make someone completely forget something that they have been painstakingly trying to remember and with just a snap of your fingers you can make them believe that the thought never even existed.
Small Change A rapid fire impromptu coin routine.
Very Ambitious
A perfectly structured Ambitious Card routine that has been honed to perfection through countless performances.
Observation Test
Never know how to open when you hit a group of people? Look no further. The Observation Test is a quick, eye-popping, two-phase routine that climaxes with a deck vanish that will hit 'em so hard they will be begging for the next trick.
Also includes the first trick Richard ever performed on the streets.
-----------------------------------------------------------

--Josh
Justin R
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Looks pretty cool. I wonder if his throwing technique is anything like Rick Smith Jr's ? www.ricksmithjr.com. I don't know if you've ever seen Mr. Smith's card throwing, but it's really cool.
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
I originally wrote this for another forum, but have updated it slightly;

Name: Urban by Richard Bellar

Price: 19.99

Publisher: Alakazam

Date: August 2006

Length: About 90 minutes

Difficulty: Between 1 and 3

Out of 10: 9

Contents

Card Scaling
Learn to scale a card a long way with accuracy

Selective Amnesia [i]
Make someone completely forget something that they have been painstakingly trying to remember but with just a snap of your fingers you can make them believe that the thought never even existed.

[i]Small Change

A rapid fire impromptu coin routine.

Very Ambitious
A perfectly structured Ambitious card routine that has been honed to perfection through countless performances. Do not overlook this - it is not your standard Ambitious Card routine. In Very Ambitious, cards jump to the top, transpose and even restored in your spectator's very own hands after being ripped up. Guaranteed to replace your standard Ambitious Card routine.

Observation Test
Never know how to open when you hit a group of people? Look no further…The Observation Test is a quick, eye-popping, two-phased routine that climaxes with a deck vanish that will hit 'em so hard that they will be begging for the next trick.

Also includes the first trick Richard ever performed on the streets.

Comments

This is Richard's first DVD amd was quite hyped up quite a bit by Alakazam, and I was just hoping it would meet at least half the expectation set... was I to be dissapointed? Well....

First things first, the DVD is really in two parts... part one is about Scaling. The first important point is that "card scaling is not card throwing" according to Richard but it looks like throwing. The difference is that scaling will make you quite accurate, and getting quite a distance on the cards when you, er, throw them.

If scaling is your thing, then this is good stuff, if it isn't then it is semi-interesting... it is something worth learning certainly if you're doing street gigs with some good tips on potential tricks using this move.

The second part of the DVD shows Richard's take on tricks, with advice on approaching people and some good lines. Particularly good is his card to mouth (observation test), and his torn and restored (acr).

He also shows some coin work, and a piece called selective amnesia (which uses a wallet with an OTL feature such as Alakazam's own Stealth Assasin). This again receives some good reactions.

There is also a bonus bit on the DVD showing a couple of moves with the Trilogy Streamline (Alakazam) and a Card Production, the latter being a nice move.

I have to be honest this isn't for the faint of heart, his moves are bold but work, so you must be confident to perform these, but if you do, then be prepared to soak up the applause from your audience.

The only dissapointing part to this DVD is the production, with some of it being a little amateurish, and the explainations not being watchable all at the same time.

Still this doesn't distract from the knowledge gained, and you'll get £20 worth just from the card to mouth (if you don't do this already) which I used the following day at a gig with great results, and the selective amnesia routine was also a beauty for me with the spectator so convinced that they hadn't forgotten anything it made me look semi-godlike, or as semi-godlike as I could be...

A very good DVD with some good moves, techniques and ideas for patter. Recommended for anybody who wants to be a little different to the norm, or who wants to learn some "slick" moves.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Great, Flipping...just what I was looking for. Thank you!

--Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Anyone seen "Urban," the card-throwing DVD? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL