The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting together a "Magic Night" (Comedy Club type) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks guys.

I'm only on for a minute here but I'd like to get some opinions on this flyer design. I'm not quite sure about the words in the middle of the page. I'm hoping to use that spot to say, "This is a reason to come". Let me know if you have any suggestions or advice. It might help if you zoom out so you can see the entire page at once. That'll tell you what they'd see when it's on the walls around town.

I had images of all the performers but it looked to cluttered. So I only used a few. The Program will have pictures of everyone though of course.

I made it into a PDF.

http://www.magicjax.com/colorflyer.pdf

Thanks.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Hi Ron

Good Images.

Just a couple of things struck me - generally it looks good - but you want to know what is wrong - not what is right.

The address and phone number distracted me - not a natural fit - I think that would go better down the bottom.

I feel a little bit as though I didn't get a real sense of what the nite is about, but Kyle would be better to comment on that - he knows the US market and we don't get many (any) nites of magic in my neck of the woods.

This will sound crass but, handsome as you and Gwyd are, I think the pic of Sylver should be more prominent. Terrible I know, but women are better selling images and you have a picture of a very attractive woman with nice cleavage performing a spectacular stunt. Her hair looks great and is the only color on the page.

Perhaps shrink some of the text down so you can enlarge her. I would definitely leave the pic of you where it is because that pic says 'magic' to me immediately.

I really think it's going to be a great nite - you're really pulling it together.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Ron,

After the price, I'd suggest replacing your appology with a simple statement about how old they have to be to attend (21 and older, or whatever your states liquer laws require).

Make the text about Vegas a smaller and less prominant.

Under "Featuring" you should put "Kalamazoo's Top Magicians" then leave out the sentence in your body text.

These two modifications would give you enough extra room to enlarge the pictures as Plasticdestiny suggest.

All in all it looks like your doing a great job. It's pretty fun, huh?
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'm paying attenton and I just made some changes. What do you think of this one?

http://www.magicjax.com/magicnightc.pdf

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ron,

I am liking the improved version and I agree with Kipps suggestion of changing the language used at the bottom. You never need or want an aplogee at the end of a flyer or anywhere on it. It almost dters people away from it. I think simply saying 18 and older works the best for you. It is simply stated and gets the point across.

the only suggestion at this point is really allowing the person who gets this to take direct action to get tickets and get them now. Will they and can they order tickets in advance? if so I would mention that on there to drive folks to purchasing tickets ahead of time. Adavance sales gives you a good idea of where you are with the show and how you stand and every theater show I do, I make sure I am really pushing advance sales and giving people multiple easy ways to seek information or to obtain tickets.

With this in mind you could say something like:

Tickets are only $10. To obtain tickets in advance and ensure your seating, please contact (such and such) today.

For more information or to answer any questions please contact us directly at (number and or web page)

Just a suggestion. In this fashion you are really giving them a call to action and pushing the advance tickets a bit more.

Hope this helps. If I can be of any help at all, please let me know.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Ron,

I like the changes.
Along Kyle's statement you might want to consider:
Advance Ticket $10.00, Tickets at the door $12.00. Or some other type of early bird discount. Definately add "For tickets call 269-345-0511".

I had a question about the 2 hour wait between doors opening and show starting. Most venues open their doors 1 hour before show time. If the 2 hours is designed to give the close up magicians more time to do their thing, then you might want to promote that as part of the show, otherwise people will just show up about 8:30. You could say something like:
Close up magic begins as soon as the doors open at 7:00. Stage acts begin at 9:00.

Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I like the new version too.

And agree with the points Kyle and Kipp have made.

Things are looking good.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Great stuff guys. I think we all agree this is much better but you may want to just add a bit of wording at the bottom to really direct people to take action and to promote the various ways they can call to get tickets etc. Give them the options and give them incentive to call in advance for tickets.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Looks like I'm a bit late chipping in my 2pence worth!

A better idea for your limo favour would be to have it as a prize. Tell people that if they book in advance (before such and such a date) they will be put into a free prize draw. Prize being to be picked up from their home and driven to the venue and home again. Great advertisement and people will book in advance.

Also with regards to papering your first few shows, remember to invite the concierge's of all your local hotels, because tourists will ask them where they can go to see shows. Also your local magic shop (magicians love magic!). Even invite journalists, any one who will enjoy your show who works in a place where people look to find entertainment.

I've always thought the key to variety nights was variety, don't book all magic acts!

Paul
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks again everyone. I'm taking it all in. If this night is successful you're all a part of that. On the other hand if it bombs then it's all your fault.. Smile (kidding).

I have something else I need help with. I mean major help. And that's music. My DJ said he'd help out and I'm sure he'll do everything he can. But I'm asking all of you for any suggestions on this.

I want to have some background music to play at the beginning and end of the show. Nothing with words. I'm thinking of something to hear as at the beginning while no one is on stage yet but the show is about to begin. Then you'd hear a voice say something like, "The Lamplighter Inn would like to thank you for joining us for MAGIC NIGHT. And now here's you host _______!"

Wouldn't it be good to have some dramatic music in the background during this? AS you know I'm deaf now but I remember back when I could hear there usually is some music during this. Any suggestions? I can ask my DJ if he has it or I can find it.

At the end of the show as well. A few posts up I mentioned that Johnny will sing. I think this will be a great ending. It's a slow song but at the end of the song all performers will be on stage and give their final bow. So I'm thinking the slow song ends and an upbeat finish starts as we say our "Thanks you and good night".

I'm just looking for suggestions or advice on this. I'll obviously have to have the DJ help a lot.

Ron Jaxon

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Why not let the DJ put it together? Express your thoughts to him/her and let him put it together. My sound person really likes that I give him control over this part of the show, he doesn't get to choose any of the music for the show itself (well, actually he does play a part in music selection when I am developing something new....) and it keeps him interested in the whole thing knowing I really do trust him... I let him choose the pre and post show music and then I basically do a final approval. He likes music more than me and puts a lot of time into the whole thing.

I usually choose the last song of the pre show music, and the lights start to dim during this song, and currently I have chosen the first song of the post show music. There are a few songs that I may express an interest in having included, and he will put them in.

Besides, I (and you!) have too much other stuff to deal with, like hiring acts, advertising, selling, advertising, selling, advertising, selli....you get the point!

Sorry if I really didn't answer your question by giving you any actual songs, but hope it helps a little anyway....

good luck again

scott
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
In our theater show, we compiled a song list burned to Cd and also my ipod that had enough music to cover the time people were coming in and being seated. In our case doors to seating opened 1 hour prior to the show. I then chose music to last for that duration of time. The music was all non lyrical and we intended it to start off as nice jazz style music and smooth and then start to build up in intensity as the show draws closer.

Because I could tell the tracking times of the music as I compiled it, I also placed in announcements at periodic times. these were things like, "Ladies and gentlemen the show will begin in just 15 mins, please locate your seats at this time for the show is about to begin." then more music would play. Then another announcement 5 minutes before show time for final taking of your seats and also a small announcement about cell phones, cameras, fog etc.

Then we went right into the show build up sequence. This was a song that was very poweful and builds in excitement but lasts about maybe 2 minutes. During this time the lights and spot light is moving across the front curtain.

After this we have a short and powerful intro to the show and then the show msuic started with our first illusion music.

Because this was all on one cd, it made it very easy for us and our sound man to be able to handle. when people started seating, we let the preshow cd just play and run. We knew it was an hour in length and that allowed us time to concentrate on last minute things.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Ron,

What do you like to listen to? Just kidding. Smile

You might consider sound track music from movies. "Lord Of The Rings" comes to mind. It has some magical and yet emotional elements that could set the mood nicely.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
LOL Kipp. That reminds me of one night I was at a bar and they where collecting money to put in the juke box. The guy asked me, "What kind of music do you like?" I immediately said "POLKA". He gave me a funny look for a moment then he goes, "OMG I can't believe I asked you that!" fallowed by, "I'm sorry, Oh man I feel terrible". I just laughed because that's not offending at all. It means it's easy for people to forget I'm deaf. I must be doing okay in dealing with it. Smile

I talked to the DJ and he said he's got just the thing. I'll have it play when the other performers are around to ask their opinion.

Thanks everyone.

Ron Jaxon

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ron,

I can totally relate as you know I am also partially deaf myself and wear hearing aids. I find that most people feel more odd about it then I do myself. I try to let them know that I am totally cool with it and they should be as well. this usually comes out in jokes I say and the way I act when asked about it etc.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks to all of your help things are really coming together. I'm selling tickets and have a complete line up with a good variety of styles. No to acts will be alike. As you'll see by this list the line up has made a lot of changes. Mostly because of things that no was able to prevent.

The Line up:
Mike McNee (Cafe name "The Magic Ref") is the MC.
John Sturk (Won Abbott's stage and Close up this year)
Scott Raymond (Not-so-serious Mind Reading)
Knotty Bits (Gwydion & Sylver)
Ron Jaxon (Me Smile ) Comedy magic

Now I'm thinking about the order of the show. Obviously this is something I have to discuss with all the performers and I am doing that. But I just thought I'd bring it up here because of how helpful you've all been.

I think I'll be the last performer. Not because I feel I'm better then everyone else or anything. But mainly because probably half the people there will know me because it's in my home town and quite a few of them will be coming just because I told them about it. So I felt that would be smart to put me last. Those who came mainly to see me will see the entire show before I get up there.

All the acts are good but some types of acts make better openers in my opinion. For instance a mentalism act (While very entertaining and funny) doesn't have as much visual appeal. So I think the opening act should grab their attention. For that reason I'm thinking either John Sturk or Knotty bits (Again I am talking to them about this but just sharing my thoughts here to see if anyone has any input I haven't thought about yet). Knotty bits will have the visual appeal of the fire and all that (Not to mention an attractive woman). John will be doing a lot of the things you'd expect to see in a magic act such as linking rings and rope magic and he's very good at getting a crowd going. He had the entire bar at Abbott's on their feet with just cups and balls this year.

It really depends on how they feel. I, for example, don't like to be an opening act. I think it has a lot to do with my deafness. I feel better when I can observe a crowd and get a feel for the atmosphere.

Any thoughts?

Ron Jaxon

Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Ron,

Open strong! Close strong!
What is Kings Fool?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Hi Ron,

I agree with a visual act as an opener, but find fire a bit overwhelming as a starter. I usually use fire towards the end. That said, I think your gut instinct and talking to the performers will serve you better here.

You know the performers and the room. You have a good idea of the people who are coming. This makes you the best qualified to make the call.

I'm so glad all your hard work is paying off and tickets are selling.

While I rarely use my psychic abilities I will second what Kyle is about to say -'Keep those tickets selling.'

And what is it about this thread and hearing - I've just had flu so my tinnitus is in full swing - a thousand bells ringing in my right ear.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2006-10-21 19:42, plasticdestiny wrote:

And what is it about this thread and hearing - I've just had flu so my tinnitus is in full swing - a thousand bells ringing in my right ear.

I've mentioned hearing a few times in this discussion because I'm deaf and Kyle is almost deaf (I believe he'd be termed profoundly Hard of hearing now am I right Kyle?).

I'll just mentioned one more thing I did. On the part of the tickets that you can tear off I put, "To be notified of future show" fallowed by a place to put their name, address and Email. So if they fill it out I'll be able to mail them a post card or something to let them know about future shows.

Just to let you know the kind of support I'm fortune enough to have around here. I just bumped into a family friend at a gas station and he told me my sister called him telling him about the show. This friend isn't someone my family talks to very often anymore (No reason just different crowd). That tells me my sister is calling everyone she knows. Smile (Nothing like family)

Ron Jaxon

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ron,

Yes, you would be right in that assumption. Without my hearing aids in both ears my hearing probably drops a good 60% or more. As Ron has stated before, hearing is never really measured in percentages but I would have to say that is about my range if I had to guess. My problem is that without my hearing aids my higher frequency range drops and is non exsistent. I simply can not hear the sounds.

This is why when I do not have my heairng aids in or if they malfunction, then womens' voices become very hard for me to understand. I can hear sound but the sound is not clear to me. It is not focused sound.

Plastic Destiny:

You know me all to well. I would indeed say keep those tickets selling. cintinue to market even all the way up to the last week of the show. Keep on getting the word out cause any great show is nothing if the seats are not filled up.

Ron:
Use your family, friends, enemies and anyone and everyone you can. When I am marketing our theater show EVERYONE gets tapped into. hehehe I make sure that everyone person that can possibly help me is helping me in some way to get the word out.

I wish you all the success in the world my friend.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting together a "Magic Night" (Comedy Club type) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL