The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I just got through watching all three Tommy Wonder Vision's of Wonder... all I can say is UNBELIEVABLE!!! That cups and balls routine had me stumped! THe first time I saw it I didn't even know what was goin on. Excellent series. I think anyone who has seen them really changed the way they think about their magic... I look at things entirely different now. Just WOnderful

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
If you loved the DVD's you should get his books as well. In the Books of Wonder, he provides invaluable insights on the theory of magic, as well as going into tremendous detail on a large variety of effects.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The DVD's are a great way to see performed several of the key effects in the books. However they are simply animated illustrations for the Books of Wonder. Buy the books, read the books asorb the knowledge contained in between the covers of the books.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
You know I didn't even realize he has the books... I know the next thing I'm gonna buy ;-) It's such a shame he isn't with us anymore... He quickly has become my favorite. Besides his books and DVD does he have any other meterial out? How about any performance DVDs or anything like that?? Thanks

Steve
-Stevie D
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those three DVD's you have are his performance DVD's as far as I know. He had a few tricks out. There will be a Chink-a-Chink set that he designed on the market very soon.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
That is true, all three DVD's have incredible performances of the tricks he explains on the DVD's. I was just wondering if there were any stage performances and things like this.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1615 Posts

Profile of David Todd
In addition to the performances on Visions of Wonder DVD's there are two video clips posted on YouTube .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqLvPaQOsQ

This first one is a recording of his performance on The World Magic Awards (I think in 1998 ?). The editing on this clip is not great , with rather intrusive cutaways to audience reactions , which disrupts the flow of the routine , IMO , but it's the only record I know of which shows Tommy Wonder's stage act .

The other YouTube clip shows Tommy Wonder when he was still appearing as Jos Bemelman , performing his earlier manipulative act on a Dutch television show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQynpAzyB8

(this clip is also included on the extras section of Visions of Wonder)
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Thank you, David, for these links.

I had no idea of these. There was an earlier tape out long ago, some of which was only performance. I think this may be mentioned in the book.

If you only read the books, you might think that the cups and balls might not work as well as it does. It is a whole different way to present, and to approach the space.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
I also just watched the Visions of Wonder for the first time. Phew, Tommy Wonder is amazing! What Richard Ross accomplished on stage, Tommy Wonder did for close-up magic. I love the diversity of the effects he performed, as well as his natural elegance and reservation. I can not recall any DVD or tape offering such a variety of material of the highest quality. Wow!
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 01:21, dxsare wrote:
I just got through watching all three Tommy Wonder Vision's of Wonder... all I can say is UNBELIEVABLE!!! ...

Great that you enjoyed his work there.

Many of us are still feeling the loss from his passing earlier this year.

I got so see him to the cups not five feet away in 1978 and am sorry folks will not be able to have that experience any more.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
When he lectured in Chicago, I was sitting quite far back. Once it had cleared out I asked if he could repeat just the loading move while I sat close up. The moves are designed for the edges of your field of view and as such are seen best from close up. He took the time and went through the entire routine for me and one or two other people, and focused on our questions just as he had done for a mob of people earlier. Held nothing back, kept no secrets. From his books you will see that anything he came up with is volunteered at once. What a great guy. Much missed.

The hardest lesson of his for me has been to start with the desired effect and solve that problem. Forget about effects and methods you know. Make a method for something that has only been imagined, it might take a few years. The best example of this was on that tape (thanks) where he is finding one vanished peice of fruit inside another. Is that in Tarbell?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Great observation Plungerman.
The closest I have found in psychology for this "edges of your field of view" is "peripheral drift" IE action happens in a way NOT to upset the flow of Peripheral Drift. No waves?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Jonathan! Where did that term peripheral drift come from?? Have been looking for such discussions. The notion of running the routine in a Space and getting the audience to ignore what's just outside it is vital to close up and stage magic. Tommy WOnder's routines always regard objects in and out of the space, and if in the space they can be "out of play" like the cup on its side. Intense care for how each object is regarded by the observer.

Where did you meet Tommy Wonder?
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
678 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Bill, I wasn't aware Tommy Wonder performed a version of Chink-a-chink. Could you give us more about it?
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Nor was I...

Yes, what great DVD's, I love watching the performances over and over! His cups and balls is WONDERFUL! It uses just 2 cups (for those who do not know)...wow, I love it! I just need to get a bag with a pom-pom made Smile

Great books as well, not done reading them yet though!

Tommy Wonder is greatly missed...a real inspiration!

Tanner
Rick11
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Profile of Rick11
I just watched Tommy Wonder perform the cups and balls and wild card on Youtube. Absolutely amazing performance!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-09-30 16:56, Jameson wrote:
Bill, I wasn't aware Tommy Wonder performed a version of Chink-a-chink. Could you give us more about it?

Not yet. I don't know if Tommy ever did a video of it. But he was working on a special set when he passed away.

It may be a while before it is released.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
678 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Bill, I just have to say:

LOVE THE NEW HAT!
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks. Good thing I have a small head.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I didn't even know Bill was Catholic! Take care your Holiness......

See here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_tiara
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tommy Wonder (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL