The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you letters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hey fellow magicians,

Here is something I have been pondering for a while. We all know that it is a good business practice to send a “Thank you” letter to a client after a show. And we all know that technology has made some things a lot easier. My question is this. Is it tacky or unprofessional to EMAIL a “Thank you” letter as opposed to taking the time and sending it via snail mail? I think I know what the majority is going to say, I just wanted to get different opinions about this.

Thanks in advanced.

JIM
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
As of now, I use the snail mail for a thank you letter. It just seems more personable when you send it like that instead of e-mail, but I don't see anything wrond with using e-mail. Technology is changing and so you should keep up with it.
-Tyler
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Jim,

A Thank You note is used to extend "personal" thanks. Yes, technology allows us to send an email, but if you are trying to establish and develop rapport with a client, then the snail mail, hard copy is the only way to go.

I think you knew the answer to this before you asked the question.

Enjoy the search,

Paul Green
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Thanks Tyler, thanks paul.

Paul, yes, that is pretty much what I already knew. I just wanted to get some opinions on the subject. I am having a hard time keeping up on my "thank you" letter's due to my busy schedule. I understand that you should try to get it out the day afrer the gig but how long is too long to wait? 1 week? 2 weeks? Come Monday, I'll have all sorts of time (my 7 day a week gig goes down to 3). Smile

JIM
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi Suzie,

I just wanted to drop you a quick e-mail and tell you what a wonderful time I had performing for you and your guests! It was truly a fantastic evening and trust that everything went as well as you hoped.

Please let me know when you recieve my official Thank You Letter- I've also included a self addressed, stamped envelope as any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Again, it was a great time and I'm happy for your success.

Take Care,

Jamie D. Grant
Master Magician
http://www.jamiedgrant.com

If you get something like this e-mail out the next day, maybe it'll buy you some time with regards to your letter (1 week later, as you want your performance to be fresh in her mind)...
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A couple of threads to help you:

Cafe thread titled... After the show, a thank you card?

Cafe thread titled... Thank you notes

My personal thoughts in summary.

Don't send it by e-mail. It is more personable and memorable in the regular mail. Would they be more likely to keep and show others an e-mail, or a handwritten thank you card?

Use a handwritten thank you card. Don't do any request for referrals, reference letters, or evaluation forms in with it. You don't even have to include business cards. It is supposed to focus on them, not you.

If you're having trouble keeping up, develop a SYSTEM that when you BOOK a show, you make a file folder or envelope for that customer, and put all your paperwork in it to be trickled out later -- prepare the contract, FAQs page, posters mailing, receipt, customer gift, thank you card, reference letter request letter, etc. all in advance at once. Then just send each item at the appropriate time.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I have a friend in the real estate business who schedules time in his calendar to prepare and send out thank you notes once a week since he found that he wasn't taking the time to send them out. Some receipients may be clients that he's completed transactions for and some are prospects or referral sources. They are short and sweet and he hand addresses the envelopes. I think it's a touch of class since so few people send hand written thank you notes anymore. People I know who have received them always comment to me about the note they received and what a nice touch it was.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Submitted FWIW:

My bank recently sent me a "thank you" note via snail mail. This bank spends a lot of money advertising on radio, TV, and in print, and their claims are actually backed up with quite good customer service. But it's the card I remember.

There is something, dare I say, "Magical" about the written word that glowing CRTs and LCDs cannot emulate. Add my vote to those advocating a brief yet personal written note of gratitude.

Leland
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Donald,
Great idea, I didn't even think of that. Smile

JIM
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Glad you liked it. It's not new, and not my original idea, but I was happy to share.

- Donald
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
A book that superbly covers the use of thank you notes is Endless Referrals by Bob Burg. This book is so good that I can't imagine a professional who wouldn't want to have it.

--Chris
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I very strongly second the Endless Referrals book by Bob Burg! EVERYONE who earns a living as a self-booking performer should read this book and use it as a reference.

While I'm watching my favorite TV shows (As a retired detective, I'm a CSI and Monk Addict) I hand write a bunch of thank you notes ahead of time on my personal cards (Read the Book!) and place them into their envelopes. These are then placed into a ziplock baggie with a roll of stamps and the pen I used. This kit is stored in my show van's glove compartment. When I finish a gig, I sit in the front seat of my van, add a personal line to the end of the note, sign it, hand address it and place it on the seat next to me...before going to my next gig.

On the way home at the end of the day I swing past the post office and pop the notes into the mail. The fact that the client receives a personal, handwritten note within a day or two after the event earns major points for me. It's so easy, it's mind boggling!

As I mentioned in my PM to you, Jim...another point to keep in mind is to keep the word "I" out of this note. It should, in my opinion, focus on the host's success and glory:

"Your program was a wonderful opportunity for us to work together. Your kindness and helpfulness were greatly appreciated and will be remembered. Without question, your careful planning helped each child enjoy this party to the fullest. Thank you for graciously inviting me to be a part of it."

My opinion...different strokes!
Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I forgot to give due and deserved credit (Thank you, Donald) to Barry Mitchell for the "Avoid the word 'I'" concept for thank you notes and the the first two lines of the thank you shown above. If you don't already have them, you should seriously consider buying Barry's "ABC's of Children's Magic" and "The Ten Commandments of Selling Your Program." Both CD's are packed with great ideas and thoughts for the pro.

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-09-09 01:40, Donald Dunphy wrote:

If you're having trouble keeping up, develop a SYSTEM that when you BOOK a show, you make a file folder or envelope for that customer, and put all your paperwork in it to be trickled out later -- prepare the contract, FAQs page, posters mailing, receipt, customer gift, thank you card, reference letter request letter, etc. all in advance at once. Then just send each item at the appropriate time.

- Donald

Well, gee, Skip, if we are giving credit, then I'll have to as well.

I think I might have read about this specific idea I shared at one time in one of Eric Paul's e-newsletters or in his "How to be your area's Top Children's Magician" course.

But I also had learned the idea earlier in general terms (and figured out how to apply it to my own business), when I took my Dale Carnegie training, and they talked about batching tasks together for more productivity. I think that "How to stop worrying and start living" (one of Dale's books) might touch on the topic of getting tasks done somewhere within it.

- Donald
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
Arghh! I need a personal assistant! - I've done dozens of shows since June, but haven't sent any "thank you's" yet. I'm disorganized, abhor all that paperwork, and can't find the time.

Such is the life of a part-time pro...
Some good reading here, thanks!

Ray
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Ray, I'm with you, which is why I prefer to get it out of the way as quick as I can. Doing this while "wasting time" watching my TV shows keeps me productive. Filling out the thank you right after leaving the event keeps it fresh and makes me look SO organized...which I'm not! Great illusion, eh? The more you do it the easier it gets until it becomes almost automatic.

:o) Skip

SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hi Skip,
I just started reading “Endless Referrals”. Are you saying that after the show you send an immediate hand written post card followed by another hand written letter? Will this be in Endless Referrals as well? Smile

JIM
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Hey, Jim,

("Hey" - That's Carolinian for "Hi") Nope. I send the handwritten thank you card to the parent/sponsor immediately after the event...same day in fact. I follow up a few days later with a gift packet for the birthday child that includes a a handwritten thank you for the child, a personalized parchment Magician's Apprentice Certificate, laminated ID card and card announcing the gift delivery of my monthly e-Newsletter. The personalized ID card includes the address and phone number for the local magic shop on the back and promises VIP treatment as an apprentice upon presenting the card to the shop owner.

Skip Smile

SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Skip, Donald,

I'm sorry,, I still have questions. Smile I bought the book,, honestly. I am still in the first chapter.
About these...cards:

How big are they?
Do they have your logo on them?
What might you say if you had a REALLY great adult strolling gig?
What might you say if you didn't feel the gig went well due to the audience or even your performance (we all have bad shows)?

And,
Does my new book cover all of this and I should be in my easy chair reading it instead of being a geek and sitting here?? Smile

I only ask because I respect your opinions.

JIM
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Jim, we only answer because we respect your questions! Smile

Don't be afraid to ask a question. I'm certainly no expert, but I know what works for me. If that helps you, then it is time well spent.

My cards look a lot like the cards shown in the book. When you see the illustration, you're gonna go "Ah ha!!" They are 3.5 x 8.5 in. in size printed in color on white card stock. The cards have my performer's name, contact info and headshot. It's designed to fit into a #10 envelope. Send me a snail mail address and I'll send you one.

As to the sentiment. I don't see any reason to vary from the basic "Your program was a wonderful opportunity for us to work together. Your kindness and helpfulness were greatly appreciated and will be remembered. Without question, your careful planning helped each (child/guest) enjoy this (party/event/function/dinner/banquet) to the fullest. Thank you for graciously inviting me to be a part of it." That pretty much covers any type of event I can think of...including adult parties. This way I can write the cards ahead of time while watching the telly or sitting in the airport.

As to what to write if YOU believe that a show blew chunks...My advice: Exactly what I wrote in the paragraph above. NEVER, EVER volunteer to take the blame for a bad show for two reasons: First, we are our own worst critics. I've had shows that I felt absolutely SUCKED...and I received endless praise from the client. Second, Even if the client felt the show could have gone better, they may be blaming their planning, the audience, the environment or any number of things OTHER than you. Never take the blame for a bad show unless the CLIENT specifically hands it to you...ONLY THEN bring out the damage control skills.

Another great tip in that book that so many performers overlook is the Breakfast Club. Every city has small groups of professionals who get together once a week for an early breakfast to socialize and network.

CON: You usually have to be there at 7:00 or earlier...not a problem for me, but it seems to annoy others. You usually have to be referred by a current member. Ask your restaurant managers (especially for the higher end restaurants & caterers). If that fails, check with your local AmerPrise (Formally American Express Investment) reps), realtors or insurance agents. They're usually very active in 2 or 3 such groups.

PRO: The groups limit membership to one person from each specialty - lawyer, contractor, doctor, dentist, teacher, daycare owner, restaurant manager, caterer, corporate CEO, club manager, etc. The networking opportunities are endless. The groups give you a direct by-name introduction into civic groups, community events, corporate and commercial gigs, and more. BEst of all, you can belong to more than one group. The more groups you join, the more networking you achieve. Raleigh and Durham have literally hundreds of these groups.

Read that chapter carefully! Smile

Skip

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you letters (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL