The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which type of wand to use for Flipstick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
I'm interested in doing a wand manipulation routine, however, I'm having difficulty in wand selection. Which type of wand is more suitable for a fliptick manipulation routine? Would you guys suggest a plastic/a wooden wand? Which brand of wand would you recommend me getting?
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I'm using the one with a gold tip on, it's the color changing wand usually sold in magic shops.

Thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
I use one that I made out of a wooden dowel from the craft store. I found it to be the perfect weight and it was very inexpensive to make. Some of the expensive wands, although beautiful, were too heavy for me to flip properly. I was also able to cut it to the exact length that it needed to be for me. The length that I prefer starts at the base (not the tip) of my middle finger and ends at the bend of my arm.

Lynetta
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
476 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hi there, Lynetta is right on the money here. I know of 2 pros who used flip sticks in their acts and both were cut down dowels. The 1/2 inch to 5/8ths is a great width. If a standard dowel is to light you can get hardwood dowels on line that are heavier...a bit of paint and your ready to go. Happy flipping..that kinda sounds bad..LOL Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I often use a pen, a pencil, or any old wand I might be using doing a cup routine. If it is wrong size I don't do the moves.

FYI... first time I ever saw this done was in Amsterdam by FLIP himself and was fooled so bad I had no clue. Nor did my friend Jay Marshall, sitting next to me. We were both convinced it was something complex and mechanical.

I think Kevin James does it with knives.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Thanks for the replies guys. What about the wands on the market, what brand would you guys recommend me getting? WOuld you guys recommend me a plastic wand instead of a wooden one, since it's lighter?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2006-09-12 15:15, Pete Biro wrote:
I often use a pen, a pencil, or any old wand I might be using doing a cup routine. If it is wrong size I don't do the moves.

FYI... first time I ever saw this done was in Amsterdam by FLIP himself and was fooled so bad I had no clue. Nor did my friend Jay Marshall, sitting next to me. We were both convinced it was something complex and mechanical.

I think Kevin James does it with knives.


It sounds as though there may be a larger story to this meeting. Have you ever written about it, Pete? Or is the demonstration itself the full story?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Cellini uses this move with his wand all the time.
And produces the wand from a coin purse.

We made many wands for him and they are here...

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aItem.cfm?itemid=21

His wands were made from rosewood and are of the 12" variety.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Thanks for the link Smile it sure helps.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Definitely make your own, tailored to fit your arms and hands. I've often seen younger magicians attempt the move with store bought wands, with head shaking results.
POOF!
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I used a flip stick routine for years in my manipulation act and I can tell you another big thing you want to consider besides the weight is the length on the stick. That is very important , especially when you get into more complicated moves. You should make your own. It will take you ten minutes. And will work much better for you in the end.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Alexander Cagliostro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Cagliostro
I tend to use a biro (disposable plastic ballpoint pent) for this move. The wand which I own is quite heavy with metal tips. I like this wand for my cups and balls routine. It's good for the wand spin and feels nice and hefty. It's rubbish for the flipstick move though. I would agree with the other people who recommend a light wooden wand. I use flipstick as part of a one coin and pen routine for impromptu stuff. If I'm wearing a jacket then I will have a pen (and a notebook) and some money.

Alexander
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Quote:
On 2006-09-14 11:22, London wrote:
I used a flip stick routine for years in my manipulation act and I can tell you another big thing you want to consider besides the weight is the length on the stick. That is very important , especially when you get into more complicated moves. You should make your own. It will take you ten minutes. And will work much better for you in the end.


I'll make one then Smile thanks for your advice
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Quote:
On 2006-09-12 13:19, Lynetta wrote:
I use one that I made out of a wooden dowel from the craft store. I found it to be the perfect weight and it was very inexpensive to make. Some of the expensive wands, although beautiful, were too heavy for me to flip properly. I was also able to cut it to the exact length that it needed to be for me. The length that I prefer starts at the base (not the tip) of my middle finger and ends at the bend of my arm.

Lynetta


Ok so I'm planing to make one myself but where can I find those materials? As for the wooden dowels, are they available in art and craft store? What about the paint,which type of paint would you recommend me getting?

Thanks in advance Smile
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
You can usually find them at Michael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, even most hardware stores sell wooden dowels.

Cut the wand to the proper size for you and sand it.

As for paint, I've used different types, but Krylon spray paint should work fine. I taped the ends with masking tape and painted the middle section a dark color. Once that dried completely, I removed the original tape then I taped the center section and painted the ends a light color or white. After that dried, I removed the tape; used wet/dry sandpaper or steel wool and smoothed the finish; and then I sprayed on a clear finish.

If you don't want to spray paint the wand, you can stain it or buy small bottles of paint and rub the paint on with an old cloth. If you just stain the center section and not the ends, that will give you a nice color contrast. However, I would still spray a clear finish on it.

Take your time and do it right. If it's for your show, you want it to look nice, so don't try to rush through it.

I hope this has helped.

Lynetta
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Quote:
On 2006-09-18 12:11, Lynetta wrote:
You can usually find them at Michael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, even most hardware stores sell wooden dowels.

Cut the wand to the proper size for you and sand it.

As for paint, I've used different types, but Krylon spray paint should work fine. I taped the ends with masking tape and painted the middle section a dark color. Once that dried completely, I removed the original tape then I taped the center section and painted the ends a light color or white. After that dried, I removed the tape; used wet/dry sandpaper or steel wool and smoothed the finish; and then I sprayed on a clear finish.

If you don't want to spray paint the wand, you can stain it or buy small bottles of paint and rub the paint on with an old cloth. If you just stain the center section and not the ends, that will give you a nice color contrast. However, I would still spray a clear finish on it.

Take your time and do it right. If it's for your show, you want it to look nice, so don't try to rush through it.

I hope this has helped.

Lynetta


Thanks a lot Lynetta, I'll take your advice and now I'm going out to get the spray paint and wooden dowels. Thanks again Smile
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Another good thing to finish the dowl with is a good contact paper. That's what I have on mine. It is a very shiny glittery silver with glittery red tips. Paint is fine too. But contact paper works very well. I used that on mine because it made it show up very well on stage with a spot light on it. Really it is only limited to your imagination.

If you feel up to it, you could take the time to drill tiny little holes and place little "jewels" in them or what ever. Either way just have fun with it and good luck. And as you already know practice, practice, practice. Timing and angles are very important with the flip stick.

All the best,
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
i_neveregret
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of i_neveregret
Quote:
On 2006-09-19 10:05, London wrote:
Another good thing to finish the dowl with is a good contact paper. THat's what I have on mine. It is a very shiny glittery silver with glittery red tips. Paint is fine too. But contact paper works very well. I used that on mine because it made it show up very well on stage with a spot light on it. Really it is only limited to your imagination. If you felt up to it you could take the time to drill tiny little holes and place little "jewels" in them or what ever. Either way just have fun with it and good luck. And as you already know practice practice practice. Timing and angles are very important with the flip stick.

All the best,
London


Great idea Smile thanks London.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I use a drum stick with the tip cut off. I guess that would make it a broken drum stick! (Yes my serendipitous moments are slow in forming, but at least I am not a MIME!)
Now lets sit back and see if I opened Pandora's box!
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Does anyone else have the problem of noise when the flip move is done? I've been working on it, and the majority of the time I get a *whack* when the move is executed. If I do it any slower the move is seen, with the right speed and up/down movement I get the noise. Any suggestions?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which type of wand to use for Flipstick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL