The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ridiculous Ravioli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I am interested in an unbiased review for Ridiculous Ravioli.

The "Cloth of Invisibilty" seemed to disappoint more than one person, so I was wondering if anyone who has received this product would care to comment?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Well,

The COI certainly didn't disappoint me. The routine for Ridiculous Ravioli is also in the lecture notes and it is a brilliant piece of work that was obviously written by a very talented pro who has been at it for a long, long, time.

I mean if you are looking for a sexy, flying, plywood, widget, don't bother. But if you are a full time pro that is looking for a smashing comedy routine that will add five minutes of great fun, darn good gags, and some pretty good magic to boot, buy it. It also packs small. I have not performed it in a show, I am basing my recommendation on what I read in the lecture notes but it is all there. This is a trick that will entertain anyone if you are a good performer.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1854 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I could not agree more with Dan's comments.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I would like to give my review of this wonderful effect. If you have ever performed the original you are aware of the effect it has on kids of all ages. Jolly's version takes it to a whole new level. It creates so much more laughter and has a much more magical elemant to it. its an emotional rollercoaster for the children and one I'd definately reccommend any performer to purchace.

thanks jolly roger
Steve D
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks for the info. I am sorry if I came off as negative in my first post - that is not how I intended it. It just seemed to me that most of what we have heard/read here regarding the routine was from Jolly Roger, and I was looking for independent reviews. Thanks again.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Here is the video of me performing Ridiculous Ravioli at a recent library show. Check out the kid's reaction:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4251863685969173565
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
The online demo is superb, it shows the exact reactions I am recieving in my shows. I'm so happy I seem to be one of very few people in the uk performing it.

All the best
Steve D
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Such a great routine and video! I have bought 4 DVD's on performing for kids show's and your video clip outdoes them all. It is nice to see a video that really shows the kid's reactions, and such great reactions they were. It really shows through that you genuinely enjoy performing for children and getting wonderful reactions from them. What age range do you generally perform this effect for? I got your notes and I look forward to trying the COI. Keep up the great work!
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Thanks John
In answer to your question, it may surprise you to know that I perform this routine for all ages....literally! Three is usually the youngest, although I frequently have 2 year olds in my audiences at daycare shows, and they scream and laugh along with the others. I do it right up to and including teenagers, and I always include it in my adult shows. I may put a link shortly to me doing it for adults, and you will be amazed at the reaction!
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:

On 2006-10-06 07:28, SeaDawg wrote:
Roger ...

They say picture is worth a thousnad words, therefore that must rate as priceless...but for me there was something very telling about the video.

In fact it is a great study in the psychology of kids magic... Why may you ask?
Watch the video very carefully. The kids participation and laughter speaks volumes. But watch the adult in behind the kids who is mildly amused at first and then becomes somewhat disinterested. Meanwhile the kids are getting deeper into the show. An unbelievable expose on what kids find magic...

Just a small point and I am aware that this may be a bit off topic - but isn't it the adults in the audience who pay for the show? While I am sure they do appreciate that the kids are into it, isn't it better if they are entertained as well? This is in no way intended as a criticism of Jolly Roger's routine, which I thought was excellent. I just find the idea of catering only to the children in the audience rather strange. I hear all the time from clients that the magician they had last year was 'great for the kids, but we couldn't bear to sit through it again'. My aim is to engage everyone, particularly the people who will be footing the bill!!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Yes, the adults are the ones with the cheque book. No big surprise... but if I am hired to entertain the children, then entertain them I will. As a bonus I make sure I get some stuff in there that the kids will like, but the adults are sure to be impressed with also, so that they know I do more than just kids shows.

As I mentioned in another thread, the line "Kids, we are going to do some grown up magic too.. bt don't tell them cuz they may want to sneak a peek".

It seems to work well for my character.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I would be very keen to see this routine performed for adults. Interestingly enough, most of the routines from my kids show find their way into my adult act. In my opinion, a really good routine plays well accross the board.

Do you have a link to video of the cloth of invisibility? That sounds really fun.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2644 Posts

Profile of John Long
A little off topic, but JR's mail box is not taking more PMs!

In the lecture notes JR gives his PB and Chicken soup routine, and how to make the props. My concern/question, how tricky is it to get the right stuff to show (or not show as appropriate)? Seems like this would be a problem early in the routine when there are many hidden objects, and some shells/tubes involve metal cans.

Would the Ridiculous Ravioli props be easier to handle than those made from the items suggested in the lecture notes?

Also, does JR offer discounts to Café members?

Thanks
John
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Quote:
On 2006-10-30 18:58, jolly roger wrote:
We must be a little careful on this forum about giving away secrets, as some people have not bough the notes. Roger

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4251863685969173565

You mean the incredible shrinking cans doen't give it away?
I'll stick to PB&J over chicken soup, kids actually like PB&J!

Here's the honest review:
1. Do kids know what the heck tortellini is? Magic should be done with objects common to the audience, hence the Magic Coloring Book, the appearing crayon, not marmelade!

2. Your ad says; "The mouse is heading for the jar of peanut butter. The magician, curious about this, opens the jar of peanut butter..." I missed this in the video? The mouse comes out of a marmelade jar, gross, and you put him in your pocket. That part seems strange and un-connected to the routine. Can you elaborate more on that? Rule #24 in Basic Magic says that the routine should stay connected. You can easily lose an audience with dead end "trails".

3. Snakes from PB jar: Rule #7 in The Basic Kid's Magic Show Rules Book, says don't send something into a kid audience unless you want mayhem and/or the object to be ripped to shreds. The funniest part of the video was YOU scampering after your props to keep the kids from destroying them! Hee hee!

The trick is not horrible, I'm just not convinced that it's any better than PB&J. And certainly not cheaper.
Gooday mate.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
"The Basic Kid's Magic Show Rules Book, says don't send something into a kid audience unless you want mayhem."

Rabbit, my dear friend.......I am not familiar with this particular rules book. I think you have missed the point completely! The reason the snakes are sent into the audience is because I want mahem! Kids love mahem, as you will see from the reaction on the video. I would be interested in what others feel about things jumping out into the audience.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
When I use a snake can I always angle it back towards me so the snakes shoot out over my head landing behind me. Running into the crowd to retrieve them never looks good. Worse yet is to have a tug-o-war ensue with a kid who won't easily give it back.
-Woodfield
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I must respectfully disagree with Woodfield and Rabbit........Kids really do love this kind of pandemonium. It is like the clown in the circus, who splasses water or flour over the kids in the front row. The kids go crazy, and they are always the most popular seats. Other things fly out into the audiece in my show such as Rocky Racoon. Ofcourse, there are no set rules to anything, so it is up to the individual performer. Rabbit obviously loves rules..........I believe that rules are often best if they are broken! Especially when working with kids!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24066 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-11-06 18:55, Woodfield wrote:
Worse yet is to have a tug-o-war ensue with a kid who won't easily give it back.
-Woodfield

That is possible. I would play it by ear. If the kids are not rowdy I would have the snakes go into the audience. If the kids are not displined, I will have the snakes pop up in my face as if I did not expect it. I'm sure it will make the kids laugh.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
I actually have the raccoon fly out of my hands onto the floor and the kids scatter. However, I have it shoot out near the front row, and I'm always quicker than the kids in retrieving it. So, my show has that "unpredictable" element.
When I do this a couple of times, the kids react great, and the adults see a performer in total control.
-Woodfield
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Like I said before, there are no set rules, and whatever works for you all is just fine. However, even though I allow the snakes to jump into the audience, I am still in complete control as I think you will see in the video. I retrieve them very quickly, although the kids may think for a second I have lost control which makes it even funnier! It is still a fabulous routine!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ridiculous Ravioli (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL