The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Renaissance Faire's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yep! BTW, the only way I could justify some of the things I did was with one phrase in my introduction. "The man who lives backwards in time," which T.H. White so kindly wrote for me -- without knowing me, of course.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Just because it's not fancy, doesn't mean its not a sceptre. In fact, they came in all shapes and sizes, all kinds of materials, by all different levels of rulers.

Over 10 years and a dozen Renaissance Faires and I've used a silver metal appearing cane and it's never been questioned, even in jest, by anyone. And you know as well as I do that Ren Faire audiences aren't always peaches and cream. More so Renaissance Faire enthusiasts.

In fact, some could say that because it looks silver is why it could be seen as a sceptre.

The zig zag would have to be unpainted and made from pretty woods. It could then be described as a rarely seen torture device. It would cost a fortune to have made and even more to be ALL weather usable. I don't know if it would be feasible for a touring Ren Faire show. But I don't do grand illusions, so I'm not totally sure.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
theadequate
View Profile
New user
Over there
12 Posts

Profile of theadequate
... thinking on the Zig Zag - you could in fact present it as a scientific experiment based on some odd drawings you found in Italy outside this painter's residence... all crumpled up with bad words in Italian on them... well you *think* it was Italian because it looked like they were written backwards.

... which would lead to having the Vitruvian Man stencilled on the illusion, come to think of it.

Tobias!
who doesn't have the budget for this kind of spectacle
http://adequateblog.today.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2750 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That was really clever! So was the previous suggestion of a torture device.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
theadequate
View Profile
New user
Over there
12 Posts

Profile of theadequate
Danke! While a RenFaire audience usually has a place to sit (haybales, benches, or the grass in front of the performing spot), if you can't summarize what you're about to do in two sentences you run the very real risk of the tide going out in your audience - so I try to come up with an 'elevator speech' (10-30 second summary) of a bit if the materials used aren't readily recognizable by the crowd.

Tobias!
"I will now perform this feat for your amusement, and my general discomfort!"
http://adequateblog.today.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Not for stage, but daytona magic has a usefull gimmick for walkaround tricks at renfaires. It's the pen-thru-bill, only it uses a small dagger instead. ( both plastic or metal depending on your budget) The guy at DM ( a regular at many faires in his day) said he desingded it specificaly because the stealth pen was such a killer trick but there was NO way to fit any sort of pen into the period.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Renaissance Faire's (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL