The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper or half shell (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyrus18
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of skyrus18
There are stuff you can do with both, but which one is better?
thanks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Different, not better.

One can leave you with an ordinary coin for inspection or "accidently dropping" so they pick it up.

The other permits some VERY visual coin dissapearnces in routine.

Or better yet, use an e] and the flipper to enjoy the benefits of both in your routines.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magiclee71
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magiclee71
That's a tough question to answer. You can do some real magic by using both at the same time. Troy Hooser's "Destruction" DVD has some great tricks using both at the same time. Dan Watkins "Coin Man Walking" addresses the flipper and shell as well. Maybe some other people on the forum can address the coins individually for you.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1916 Posts

Profile of tbaer
That is a hard question. I use both about the same.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I like flipper more but I think ] is more useful!
In love with magic!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16986 Posts

Profile of joseph
I am also trying to decide which to get....You can pay $10 or $100 for these things depending on what you are willing to spend for quality...Lots of interesting routines available... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
It all depends on the routine, each can be fantastic for their purpose in their respective routines. Personally when it comes to these items I feel you should spend the extra bucks, because the cheap alternatives are "Cheap" and may not be as convincing or even operate very well. I agree with magiclee71, using them together can really produce some killer magic! With other gaffs you may be able to look at the price end, but for these I wouldn't.
Where I go, so do my coins.....
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
I'd invest in the shell, to start with. There are so many really great routines that can be performed with the shell. I'd invest in different denominations as well, Eisenhowers, half dollars, English Pennies, Twoonies. Really keeps the audience guessing.
Jim
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Most of us have gone to get the trick coin once we are in love with the effect. Compare with the experience of seeing a great effect and finding it uses a gimick you already have, oh joy.

Once you have worn through a cheap coin you will find it worth your while to get the pricier ones. Before then the differences will be hard for you to see, if not afford. The improvement for the price reflects the design considerations of the many users who requested/suggested (hounded mercelessly) the machinist gods (praise be to thee).

It is quite fun to learn of the design thinking on an expensive coin while your learning to use it for the first time, lovely suprises. But overall, find a trick you love or a song, learn to play it with what you got, then think of new props when they come along.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Personally, I'd buy a cheap one of each cost less than $35, then you can get a feel for whether you will use them or not. If you like them you can upgrade to lassen or schoolcraft etc....

If I had to purchase them in order of potential usage I would get a shell first then the flipper.
Daniel H
View Profile
New user
Carrollton, Georgia, USA
19 Posts

Profile of Daniel H
My personal favorite is the e]. LOTS of dupolication/vanishing capabilities
"That's a BAD 3 of Spades!"
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I carry a ] with me in my coin purse. I have a Flipper, but haven't sat down and learned everything I can do with it just yet. The ] has some definate advantages, in that you can show the coins, remove it, and not have any coins vanish when you hand them out.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
MintonMagic
View Profile
Regular user
South Lyon, Michigan
131 Posts

Profile of MintonMagic
Personally both of them together could be very lethal. You could do some very powerful VISUAL magic with them. I am working on a coin routine now that utilizies them. Just think of the possibliities!
In Magic,

Roger M.

www.mintonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Flipper or half shell (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL