The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Hard-Boiled Mysteries V. Cervon File V. Ultra Cervon (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Hello. Frankly, I haven't tried anything from this guy yet but his reputation makes me jealous. Which of the above should I start with? Cards are my main interest but I won't avoid other close-up items. I only heard that Hard-Boiled Mysteries by Minch is a killer book. (Besides, I like everything by Minch so do you think I should "go on a blind date" with it?) Thanks up front.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have all three volumes. I prefer Ultra Cervon as it I found more effects to my liking. I found Cervon files interesting, but nothing for me. I haven't implemented anything from Hard Boiled Mysteries, simply because I've enjoyed Ultra Cervon so much.
Coram Deo
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
"Hard-Boiled" should be your starting point if your major interest is cards. The other two are also excellent. I own and like all three.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
I only own "Ultra-Cervon" and quite like it.

Sometimes the writing gets a bit pompous, but the material is first rate.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
I own Ultra Cervon and Hard boiled mysteries. I prefer Ultra Cervon because the material is more 'accessible' for me. And the 'Free Turn Pass' is explained... well worth the money!
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Bruce Cervon's handling for Lin Searle's Ace Assembly (using different color back Aces) is a very good version.

I have never seen Bruce work, but 2 magicians whose opinions I respect have spoken the highest praise about him.
ME
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have gone back an looked over Hard Boiled and have this further comment. Many of the effects aren't logical. For example, one 4 Ace routine takes the twelve indifferent cards and then deals one at a time to the first pile. Then take a group of three and place it in pile no. 2, then take one card and place it in pile three. Take three more turn them face up and deal them to pile four, then turn them face down. Take the last two cards and place them with the single in pile three. Most of the effects follow similar lines of illogic to my way of thinking. Ultra Cervon is great. Hard boiled is interesting...just nothing practical for my presentational style.

Steven
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Hard-Boiled Mysteries V. Cervon File V. Ultra Cervon (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL