The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best 'coins across' using an.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 16:12, Larry Davidson wrote:
"...a bit part...."

I meant a "big" part. Funny how one letter changes the whole meaning.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4753 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have Lot stuff both stand-up,tabled, and Lap! Some Going Back 30-35 years! Smile( Stop my When You See One You Like) Smile!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
As all the others said: check out david Roths shell coins across. Play with it and make it your own. My version of shell coins across has its base in Roths.

I modified it so that its progressive (a tip from dan lefay)and not just repetition: Every coin travelling is more magical and impossible then its preceder: The first coin just goes, the second one you hear arriving, the third one goes to the spectators open palm, the fourth one goes to the spectators closed fist.

Also: check out translocation by John kennedy, it's a coins across on the mat, and very, very magical. Dan watkins 'four coins, your hands' doesn't make use of a shell, but it's fantastic!

Simon
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Thanks for all these great posts. Lots of extremely useful stuff and all complete with sources - brilliant!

Larry, can you perhaps explain what exactly ROPS does? I'm unfamiliar with it. It is a means to vanish the last coin I assume but what does the spectator see?

Thanks,

Dave.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Dave,

ROPS is a retention vanish, so you can use it anywhere that you think that type of vanish would work well.

Unlike most retention vanishes, ROPS is a "take" versus a "put" vanish, meaning that the coin starts out in the hand from which you secretly steal it and ends up hidden in the stealing hand unbeknownst to the audience. With a "put" retention vanish, the hand that's holding the coin appears to "put" the coin in the other hand, but the original hand secretly retains it.

ROPS done properly truly looks like trick photography, and it's not technically difficult to execute, it just takes precise timing. When I first saw the move on one of Mike Rubenstein's videos back in the 80's, my eyes immediately lit up and I said to myself that I was going to learn the move if it killed me. Fortunately, I'm still alive, and as I said, it's all about timing vs. finger flinging.

The funny thing is that I learned the move incorrectly. At a convention last year I showed it to Mike and he explained how my timing was off by 1/2 beat. We walked over to David Roth, I showed him both versions, asked him which he liked better, and he said that they both looked great and that he couldn't decide. Given that opinion and given that my approach had worked well for me in real world performances for years, I've continued to execute the move the way I had been doing it. For those who have my DVDs, the move is supposed to be done via a tap and then steal, whereas I do it via a tap, another tap, and then the steal. Regardless, hats off to Mike Rubenstein for creating an absolutely incredible move.

Larry
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Thanks Larry, sounds very interesting. I'll have to check into that.

Dave.
Nigel
View Profile
New user
Doncaster, UK
1 Post

Profile of Nigel
My favourite coins across has to be the one called "Sounds Familiar" on Doug Brewer's DVD called "Unexpected visitor". This is basically a standard coins across with a very subtle difference in that it uses a chinese coin as well. The routine involves starting with a chinese coin in the spectators hand. This of course enables the "first" coin that travels to be actually heard landing in the spectators hand by all the spectators not just felt by the individual spectator. Also this routine includes the reappearance of the "just put away" chinese coin which gives an additional magical effect within the routine. Due to the structure of the routine this reappearing chinese coin very cleaverly takes 100% of the heat off the dirty hand at the end. Definately worth a look. I have numerous coin magic DVD's and this is one of my favourites. There are several very nice effects on it like "Backhanded" and "EZ Triple Wildcoin". There seems to be a bit of a Gary Kurtz feel to some of the material on this DVD. I strongley advise any coin nerds like me to purchase a copy of this DVD. So many coin DVD's require being seated at a table with a lot of lapping going on (i.e. Roth) This DVD does not, so the effects can be performed standing at a table and several effects can even be performed in a restaurant table hopping environment although you still need a surface to work on. I perform close up magic in restaurants, bars, at formal events and wedding receptions and always work with a small table. Most of my magical associates seem to frown upon this, but it works great for me, so I am sticking with it. I perform a lot of Matrix/Shadow coins/Chink-a-chink type effects, which would not work too well without a table.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
As far as the ROPS is concerned I am not sure I would call it a "take" vanish. It seems to have neither a "Putting" nor a "taking" action involved in what you are doing with the coin.(at least from the spectators view)

Not sure if this fabulous coins across has been listed, but check out Chad Long's routine complete with follow-up in his notes.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I did not know the Un-Visitor was a DVD. I enjoyed the book, but don't recall the routine you mention.

I was going to add Gary Kurtz since his stuff is fantastic. The routine of his I was working on (Ha ha ha!) was production and vanish of three coins. The reason it's worth a mention is that he uses a ] and has a way of knocking against it without making a tell tale sound. I won't tip it here.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I use David Roth version, with expanded she**
This is great.

Cheers,
CC
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Geoff Latta's a trick with 3 coins
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Cody Fisher's "Turtle Coins" is a brilliant coins across using a she**. The magic happens in the spectators hands ( the strongest magic there is ).

It's on his "Cody Fisher On Magic DVD". The routine makes sense ( which can be rare in magic ).

http://www.professionalmiracles.com/products.htm

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I am suprised know one mentioned Paul Gertners ring thing, I have been using it for years. I have seen Garcias Safe routine and it is indeed very nice, It looks a lot like Gertners. Gertners makes a lot of sense and is very practicle and the people just freak out!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Yes. I do personal safe at least once per day. and if done well, the ending just kills them. they really believe that the ring vanishes from thier hand and and turned into the coin. and I don;t think anyone mentioned Coinone that is soon to be released, anyone who has seen the routine knows that its gonna be a great
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Ok, I must be on drugs it was mentioned several times, sorry about that =)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
While I would not be so vain as to call it "the best", the routine in the 1986 Apocalypse 'Extra Coins Across' works nicely with a [. That would give you a 2/2 -> 1/3 moment very much like what appeared in print in MME and due out soon on video. Geoff Latta's work on HPC from a ] also permits some stunning routines which are only hinted at in CoinMagic. The basic principle permits a VCA done in much the same format as Al Schneider's "Osmosis" routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
283 Posts

Profile of Griff
I think the Roth routine is the best. It is totally angle-proof, very easy and allows you to focus on your presentation. The shell does the work for you. Most of the suggestions here are great, but for the Laymen, I would go with this one. Been doing it forever and it kills em. Again...it is simple, very visual and most importantly, allows you to focus on your presentation. Good Luck!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
I haven't recieved the DVD yet, but I have to give Homer Liwag's DVD a mention for sure. I've seen very little of his stuff, but judging by the coin work in Out of Control, it should be fantastic.
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
I also prefer David Roth's routine for coins across. The moves are clean and easy to do, even for those that are not coin experts.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3631 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Both Roth's coins across, Latta's trick with 3 coins, and explanation of the R.O.P.S. move can be found on the NYCMS COINS ACROSS 2 DVD set. There are several routines with a [ on these DVD's, from Gallo, Latta, and Harbottle.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best 'coins across' using an.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL