We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Comercial magic tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I have quite a dvd collection, and I have practiced many of the effects of the ddvd's

however I have a curse of the magician's eye, when I see an effect that amazes me not being able to tell how it's done it really appeals to me and it also appeals to some magician friends of mine. However more or not it doesn't impress laymen.

yet when I've bought something that seems rather obvious to me yet it manages to fry laymen.

hence the question. what makes a commercial magic trick.

I think most people don't wanna invest a lot of thought when watching a trick so it has to be simple.

visual: what is visual to me it means magic they SEE happening. like a card change, or fire always works.

for example I find people react way better to a triumph effect when they see me change the face-up card, to a face-down card and the deck is right order again. Than when I just snap my fingers and show it in the right order again.

I also have a lot of stuff from jay sankey, and altough I have to admit you can figure most of his stuff out by watching the demos, his stuff are some of the strongest things I do to laypeople.

my strongest effects of jay sankey:
In a flash: I always find it funny when they ask: "but now you destroyed your deck? and I say "yes just remember I did it for you. with a big smile."

leaving home: when they see the key melt off the string they're a bit suprised but when they visibly see it melt back on I always pause and they really don't know what to think.

one of the things I don't really understand is the poor reactions I get from earplugs(spongeballs) and I've received praise from other magicians saying I do it very well, yet this effect doesn't really play well on adults in my area which seems rather strange to me cuz it happens in their hands, it's visual and it has transpositions but oh well I guess it'll be my routine.

So what do you think makes a commercial magic trick and give some examples of commercial effects you do.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a few thoughts here, but these are my opinions and many experts will disagree with me.

Cards tricks are boring, and the harder the card trick the more boring it is to audiences. That being said I get a lot of mileage out of the ID, and the ultimate card rise.

All ages love CMH if performed properly.

Magicians don't see the eye candy effect, but ALL audiences go crazy for fiber optrics.

Scarf tricks like mismade flag works so well it's like not even working at all.

You can't go wrong with C&R if done right.

Don't do a kiddie trick for adults.

Don't do an adult trick for kids.

I could go on all day, and upset those who like the stuff I don't, but you must perform magic in order to refine your presentation. The audience response will show you your best tricks.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
"Cards tricks are boring, and the harder the card trick the more boring it is to audiences. That being said I get a lot of mileage from ID, and the ultimate card rise"

Actually I think that it is the performer that makes the trick--- not the trick that makes the performance.

so card tricks are only boring if the performer is boring- If the Performer is an entertainer such as Bill Malone (or me) then card tricks are fun and exciting and enjoyable.

I could go into the effects I do as a pro and you may be able to see the props I use from my videos- cards, sponge balls but it is the energy, interaction and the persoanlised attention you give to the audience that really makes it all work.

I am not the only guy to do a Card trick such as Ambition or a sponge ball routine but it is the actual presentation and my own being that is what separates my show from the other guys out their.

so don't think about the effects too much---think more about you
dominik
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
143 Posts

Profile of dominik
Quote:
On 2006-09-18 12:34, icentertainment wrote:
it is the energy, interaction and the persoanlised attention you give to the audience that really makes it all work.

Agreed.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
True but...

some effects play better than others. There's always effects they're gonna remember more than others whether you like it or not.

with me in a flash is the trick I get asked about a lot because it seems so impossible, while my version of triumph gets asked about too cuz it seem impossible. But doing a 3 card monte is entertaining to them it doesn't get remembered so well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Comercial magic tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL