The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Hey everyone, I have tony clarks unmasks dvd and seen the basic way to train the doves and I also have encyclopedia of dove magic. I want to start the training process which is supposed to take 6 weeks but I have trouble even starting. The doves are still very scared of me. I can't even get them to stay close to me let alone have it perch on my finger. How can I spend time with them and train them if they won't even allow me to begin?

thanks for your help
durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Durgy, how long have you had them and how often do you try to handle them? If you have them in a cage, just put your hand in it with your finger extended. Don't try to grab them or handle them. Just let them get used to your hand. Each time you put your hand in the cage, move it closer to them. It may take some time but eventually they'll consider you a friend and you can begin the training. Getting them to sit on your finger in the cage is actually part of training. It's all a matter of confidence. Talk to them as much as you can. Seriously, they need to get used to the sound of your voice.

When you get to the point of having them sit on your finger, slowly put your other hand in the cage and approach them from behind. You need to grasp them gently by placing you pinky and ring finger around the body holding the wing down. Spread you first and second finger in the V form and they go around the back of the neck to the breast bone. Your thumb goes over the other wing. Hold them gently in this fashion and take them out of the Café. Just hold them like that and gently put them in the palm of your other hand with your fingers on one side and the thumb on the other. Stroke them from the top of their head to the tip of the tail. They may fly away at first but after a few tries, they'll get used to it.

Don't rush the training. Make sure they are sitting calmly on your finger first. It's all a matter of patience on your part and confidence on theirs. Once they start training, it won't take long for them to learn exactly what you want.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Dave is right, also once you grab one of your doves, go to a corner - a good place will be the bathroom- and face the corner, let the dove stand on your finger as you face the corner- the dove must face the corner also- they might try to fly but realize they have nowhere to go- and little by little will get more used to you- a good thing to do once there and your dove on the finger is to move your hand and arm up and down the dove will star to flap its wing a little but cannot fly away -should not take long before they are more confortable- but you must do the first steps. I've had my doves for about 3 years and some will still try to fly away when I go to reach for them in their aviary.
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks guys. I will try to take your advice and let my hand sit in the cage with finger extended for a lil bit every day. hopefully they will eventually get used to it.

durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL