The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo video needed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I am starting a business that will create websites, photos, videos, etc for entertainers, particularly magicians. I have done so much of this work for myself and as favors to magician friends. I have also done this volunteer work for theatres. I have accumulated a LOT of experience and skill and figure there is no reason I shouldn't be paid to do this.

I need to have examples of my work that I can show prospective clients. I have most of the examples together, but I want to add another video to my portfolio. I am willing to do this for FREE (I won't shoot it for free, only edit already existing material) provided you are willing to allow me to use it to show prospective clients. If you are interested, please email me: briansmagic@valleyint.com
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Can you e-mail me some samples of your work? Just send them to tjxtrememagic@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Tyler
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Hey Tyler,
I sent out the email to you just now.
Let me know what you think

Brian
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Brian,

Exciting news, starting a business! I wish you the best with your future. I can attest from experience that it's a very rewarding path (in many ways). Several years ago I started Reels in Motion, a video production company that specializes in media creation for enterainers. Since that time, I've produced countless promotional videos for magicians, jugglers and other entertainers.

Here's a little bit of advice from someone who's out there doing it... Find out what you can offer that no one else can. What is it that they can get from you that is different from everyone else? This is you Unique Selling Position (USP). This is the one area that you excel in that no else can touch you.

Once you find that, (assuming the talent is there - and I'm assuming you've got it), the rest works itself out.

For example, for the past 10 years, magic was my only source of income. Then that was my USP. I knew angles, magic effects, how to frame and when to move the camera where due to my familiarity with magic. As time went on, I specialized even more.

Now, I specialize in the high end visual effects (using software like Shake and 3D animation programs) to create national level commercial work. It's been very rewarding and it's the specialization that allowed me to do just that.

Good luck with it and let me know if you've got any questions! WELCOME ABOARD!!

Scott
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the advice, I look forward to speaking with you more about this soon!
I am surprised no one has really jumped at this opportunity...
Maybe they would rather pay for it?...I don't know!
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

I know this guy who does free magic shows. Want to have him perform for your birthday party? Didn't think so...

It's the same thing, if it's free it must not be worth it.

Just keep working on your editing and continue to make it better. Then you will get the clients.

-Tyler
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Tyler,
I'm not offering to do free work on a continual basis. I am offering to make one person a free project who will, in turn, allow me to use it to show interested clients. A lot of the people I have worked with in the past aren't to cool w/ having me use their projects to show others as a promotional material for myself. That's the scoop. I think you misunderstood what I am after. If you are assuming that the quality of my work is at a "free" level, then why did you show interest and ask for more information?
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Brian, perhaps people are unclear as to what you could do for them. Maybe if you could describe a bit in more detail in might be more clear.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but because you "figure there is no reason I shouldn't be paid to do this' isn't a valid reason for me as a potential consumer of your service.

Perhaps if you could describe for those on the Café a bit more about what they would recieve and why they should have you produce their video. Done correctly, you'll have more work than you can handle.

For example, when discussing a promotional video with clients, I ask for their other promotional material and spend time discussing their act, what their persona is on stage, and to whom their video will be sent. These all play a vital role in not just making a great video, but making a great video FOR THEM.

I try and make clear in our initial discussions about how it's their image that they are selling to clients and I will do everything I can to stay consistant with their current marketing strategy. For example, keeping consistant with any color themes in their print media. This way, the promotional video we produce is a part of a larger marketing machine for them.

Right now, I think the only benefit you are offering is a free video. While a good benefit, that isn't what many are looking for. I know you mentioned emailing you for details, but maybe some are hesitant to take someone up on an offer without seeing some work.

Unfortunately, this is a catch 22. Maybe show some of your own work (ie. for your own video). That's what I did for my first video years ago.

You are off to an exciting start with your new venture and I can't wait to see how far you go with it. Just like any new venture, it just sounds like you need a little bit of tweaking so potential clients know what you're offering!

Again, I wish you the best with your work and can't wait to see your business thrive!

Good luck and God bless!
Scott
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

I think Scott put it better than I did. I wasn't saying your editing was bad. I was just trying to make a point. Most people look down on things that are free because they think that people won't pay for it so you have to go all the way to just giving it to them.

Like Scott said, show some of your material and what you can do. Don't just tell potential clients, but show them using demo videos. Tell them why they should have you make their video then to have someone else do it. It's just like marketing with magic, show them your worth it.

-Tyler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo video needed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL