We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Canadian Illusionist! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey All!

Have a look at this demo:

http://www.theimpossibilist.com

Who ever said we Canadians can't do magic? Sure we live in igloos, but we sure know how to entertain. Just a teaser to give a taste of this new up coming talent that's sure to explode. Hope you enjoy!

Matt
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Very stylish video work. Although, I though Canada already had Reveen the Impossiblist? Smile

Oh well...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Does Reveen know about this guy?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2006-09-20 21:35, Pete Biro wrote:
Does Reveen know about this guy?

Pete:

Maybe a better question is, "Does this guy know about Reveen?" Hard to imagine he doesn't with the Canadian connection. I wonder what's up?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey guys, I work for Michael doing a lot of the visual graphic work for the TV special coming up as well as the site and doing some work for him as a idea man behind the scenes magic wise. The use of the "impossibilist" was at the suggestion of the marketing people for the TV stuff as a branding thing. With respect to Reveen, Michael is well aware of him as were all the rest of us working for Michael (all of us are working pros so we're doing our best not to step on any toes) and doing as much as we can to avoid using camera tricks (which isn't hard by the way). I can't speak for Michael, but I can say that he is a great guy and is doing all he can to do this the right way and legitimate too. He's not trying to replace Peter or "one-up" him in any way. Although the term "impossibilist" has been used by Peter, now I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I think it came down to the marketing people saying that even though Houdini said he was the handcuff king, there are several other people who claim to be the new handcuff king or whatever. And even though Franz used "magic that rocks" as his tag, Chezaday did too and now so does Curtis Adams. Again, not trying to get in the middle of anything but just trying to explain the thinking behind it as far as what I was told, because I too brought up the concern of peter using the impossibilist tag too.

Michael is on here once in awhile and so is Andrew Gerard -he's also in our little club of worker bees, and could maybe explain it some more...or maybe not...
DANSPERRY.COM
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Mike is a very driven and very nice guy.

Go get em Mike.

Chris.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
And lets not forget the "amazing" johnathan, and the "amazing" kreskin...

;-)

ICY
xxx
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Howdy folks...

Monkichi started this thread by saying... Somebody said Canadians can't do magic? Who said that? What were they smoking at the time?

How about ...

Dai Vernon
Ross Bertram
Leon Mandrake
Doug Henning
James Cielen
Jason Byrne
Greg Frewin
Carl Cloutier
David Acer
Jay Sankey
Richard Sanders
Murray Hatfield
Juliana Chen

just off the top of my head ...

I'm sure given more than the minute I spent I could list a heck of a lot more ...

I haven't heard of Mike before, but if he's a Canuck he's got to be good ...

Shawn
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
And don't forget Gary Ouellet, Alain Choquette...
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Or Shawn Farquhar!

Guys -- As a friend of Mike's I can tell you two things...

1: His intentions were and still are GOLDEN, no harm was meant by use of the tag line in question...

2: Mike is a guy who deeply respects those of us who perform this craft. He is friends a tonne of guys in the upper ranks of our industry. He has a great team working with him, and he is a very genuine guy.

Any issues that arise from the use of the name will be dealt with before they even become issues. Mike doesn't want to step on any toes!

Hard working, CLASS ACT -- Mike is the new face of Canadian Magic, we couldn't have a better representative!

I C Y
xxx
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm not sure if this chap is the "new face of Canadian magic" or not, but the tag line "The Impossiblist" is very much Reveen's, not his.

Peter is still very active in the magic scene, not only managing Lance Burton but presenting workshops for magicians in Las Vegas as well.

Reveens tag line is NOT in any way, shape, or form ripe for plundering.

Using Reveen's tag line very much appears to be "taking" a bit to liberally from a Master before he's even off the scene.

Key to this discussion is that it's lacking in taste, whatever else it might be.
Bill Smith
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Bill Smith
I must say I have meet Michael and he seems like a very nice guy, however,
I just got off the phone with Peter Reveen and he is not happy!

Reveen has used "The Impossiblist" for over 30 years in Australia and Canada.
With Reveen being a "household name" in Canada, he can't understand why somebody
would take his tag line. He is also planning at least one more tour of Canada,
so there is is a conflict here!

Even if Michael was pressured by his marketing people to take Reveen established tag line, he should do the right thing and give Reveen the respect he deserves.

Bill Smith
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I hope Raveen contacts Mike. I'm sure that with both of these two being good guys they can work it out like gentlemen.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
One does not want to make Peter MAD.....

Peter is way too cool a guy with a lifetime of knowledge in magic and show business. I have to agree that when I hear "Impossiblist" I think Reveen...everything else pales in comparrison.....

Shawn
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hi Everyone.

I'd like to start off by first publicly apologizing to Peter Reveen. I truly respect him and what he has done in his career.

Also everything with the Impossibilist will be taken down by the end of the night!!!

I would however like to let everyone know how this all came about.

This past year I started working with a team of magicians, marketing people, and a production team. Our goal was to produce a television pilot and a touring show here in Canada.

At the very beginning we had a large meeting and wanted to come up with some "branding" for marketing purposes, and something to name the show. After throwing many different ideas around that just didn't work, somebody came up with "The Impossibilist". The first thing I said was..."That's what Peter Reveen went by". Even though I questioned using this name. A number of people on the team reassured me that it would not be a problem. Trademark searches were done and it was not owned in Canada and it was owned by another magician (not Reveen) in the United States since 1985 but expired in 2005.

So listening to the people on my team. We decided to call the show "The Impossibilist". This was done with no malicious intent, to overshadow, or to defame Reveen in anyway.

My name is "Michael" the name was solely a title for the show.

The name best describes what the show is all about. I have had to overcome many things in my life to get to where I am now. Battling a Severe Speech Impediment, my own health problems, and the major health problems of my son (3 open heart surgeries). I decided to use magic to show people that anything is possible, and no obstacle is too big to overcome. My whole life I've had to overcome impossible situations.

It's also a chance for people to see a normal blue collar guy, married for almost 17 years, and the father of 3 chase his dreams. In hopes that it will motivate them into pursuing their own dreams and pushing their own limits to attain their goals.

So as you can see I'm trying to do this with my heart in the right place. It truly means a lot to me to try and help others. My family and I have been at the receiving end of people's efforts, and now it's my opportunity to give it back.

I have nothing but good intentions with this project. I would hope that it would create some new friends not enemies.

I put my trust in other people and should have used my better judgement. I'm a performer not a businessman, or marketing person.

There are many people on this forum who have met me and my family and know that we mean no harm to anyone.

I feel very upset about this situation and I can not apologize to Peter Reveen enough.

Michael
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Like I said ... A CLASS ACT...

:)
xxx
Bill Smith
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Bill Smith
Michael,

I will let Reveen know what your plans are and thanks for doing this!

Bill
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Very classy Michael, VERY classy indeed!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
POSER!!!!!

...jokey jokey, I took care of some things for you Michael and I'll need a little more money than what we talked about. It seems I'll need to actually re-upolster the trunk of my car now since a few of those garbage bags must have had tears in them when I went for a drive in the desert here in Vegas with one of the marketing guys. Sorry for the trouble, he won't bother us anymore...
DANSPERRY.COM
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Michael,

I have to agree with the overwhelming consensus here that you truly are a class guy. I am a marketing guy and followed you initial decision logic and your selection criteria. Despite passing the legal hurdles you've clearly demonstrated your character in respecting the billing of a colleague. In marketing we call it, "Living the brand," and from you described, you clearly are what you aspire to be. The theme of your show is outstanding and I have no doubt of its success so long as you stay committed to your standards. You are the kind of guy I really want to see succeed.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Canadian Illusionist! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL