The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Don't call us, we'll call you (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I specialize in bizarre/shock shows. As you can imagine, it's not easy to get that kind of work in Salt Lake City UT. Thank god for the night job!
In fact I’ve never met any professional magician here who doesn't do kid shows.

But when I do get something going, I hear this lot... "Oh, we'd love to have you perform! We'll call you." Then nothing. When I call them it seems to fall through for a one reason or another.
I am still an amateur, not for lack of trying, but is this sort of thing common?
Is there something that I’m doing wrong to make people change their minds, or do I just need to be more aggressive?
Or should I just caulk it all up to my hard-to-market product?

Any (constructive) advice is appreciated.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hmmmm constructive---I'm not really known for this- but I'll give it a go.

right when they say- we'd love to have you perform- Ask a question to qualify them even more such as

when is the event?
what type of event do you have in mind?

now the web site you have linked to your profile- I hope you don't send anyone to this to sell your magic.

I liked it until the flash intro stopped.

I find that even tho people have seen me perform- they still want an info pack including a DVD and testimonials and business card.- they also want to check out my web site.

I believe in order to sell effectively you must have something to send to the client.- CD-roms and now DVD's are cheap and easy to make- worst case senario (bad spelling) have a couple of Mpeg 1 videos on a cd with some friwends talking about how good you are and how your entertainment made the event a success- whether it be a Adult birthday party, or whatever

There are also several other reasons why they do what they do and I don't know you but these things a generalised

Bad phone manner
They don't know what else to say- they have been shocked
No web site
No follow up at the right time- (don't wait 2 weeks- call up the next day)
then if they say oh the event is in 3 months time and they don't want to book now- call again in a month and halfs time or send a post card or a letter or an email.

Maby it is your price- I don't know- I would suggest being an amateur - that you buy a dummies guide to selling for small businesses- or something like that- just to give you a taste of what the game is all about- I find these are good books to start with as they go through all the lingo- that other books assume you know- like reading a book on card magic where it says- "do a pass and then a double lift and 3 perfect faros" without actually explaining how to do it.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Scaress, I wonder if you're really focused on your target market. Having lived in Salt Lake City years ago, I know that there is a thriving "underground" community there that would relish the bizarre theatre...especially around Hallowe'en. Shock theatre is not exactly your living room and corporate board room kinda performance, after all. Your best ally in this arena is going to be word-of-mouth marketing.

I'm not a bizarrist, but (off the top of my head) it would seem to me that college campuses, Goth shops & hangouts, pubs & bars and headshops (do they still have headshops?) would be your ideal stomping grounds. Of course, you already know this, I'm sure. Try to sell your act to these locations to build a reputation and get that word-of-mouth rolling.

If it were me...and I hope this isn't too far off base...I'd also develop a somewhat more community-friendly show that bears some historical relevance and a toned-down shock factor. Keep the bizarre but make it something that will attract curious people and that they'll talk about. This will widen your market considerably. For example, I once created a ghost walk with various remote effects for Gettysburg, PA. Some minor shock effects were included. The idea was to enhance an after-dark walking tour of Gettysburg's haunted sites. I'm in the middle of a similar project for the Raleigh area. Just a thought. As I recall, Salt Lake City was rich in ghost stories and sites.

Finally, Ice has some great points. Look at your telephone script. How are you presenting your show to the caller. Are you explaining how you're piercing this, cutting that and inviting demons to romp through the lair (as you can see, I know NOTHING about Bizarrist Magic Smile)...or are you focusing on the exhilaration of a show filled with a deep, dark mysterious flavor that leaves your audiences wanting more? Are you apologetic for the type of performance you present? Too forceful and proud? As Ice also said, your website really doesn't seem to say ANYTHING about what you do really. Frankly, if I were to visit your site in search of a performer, I would be instantly turned off. Your website should be an up-to-date advertisement for your talents and availability.

I'm just rattling off here. Hope something I said clicks for you.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you try passive advertisement you won't have to deal with rejection, the customers will come to you. In spite of many who post at "tricky business" if you're good you don't have to twist any body's arm to hire you, but Skip is right you must have a web site that does sells you.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Ice offers excellent advice. The only thing that I might add is not to appear desperate. Act, as if, you have a booking nearly every day and that they will be lucky to have you perform at their event. They should book very early if they hope to get you.

Years ago, Eugene Burger taught me a lesson that I have always used. I never give my business card to someone in a face to face situation unless they ask for it. In a close –up performance, I always tell “the story” about my performance last week at a private party in (whatever is the most upscale section of your town). Almost always, I will get the question…”do you do private parties?” They will, in turn, ask for my card. When I was working restaurants, this got me so much work that I had to stop working restaurants.
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
wow, thanks for keeping it constructive, I know I'm an easy target.

I'm very glad I asked, this is some of the best advice I've gotten. I'm going to follow all of it.

as it turns out, the haunted house job that I thought had fallen through just got a hold of me this morning, seems its on again.

now I'm going to work on my website then approach that goth club that told me to go to heck (that how they talk here). and the headshops. yeah we have head shops, but they only sell pipes that blow soap bubbles.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
When they say they would like to hire you offer your business card and ask for theirs at the same time. If they don't have one ask for contact information.

If they hesitate at that they are just talking to sound important.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Good luck, Scaress...or should I say "Bite a Leg!"?

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A head shop in Utah. What is this world coming to.
Al
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 14:28, Al Angello wrote:
A head shop in Utah. What is this world coming to.

There are SOOOO many jokes connected to that line...but I just can't bring myself to go there! Largely because I was raised in the LDS...and largely because I just have good taste!!

:) Skip

Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
All right, am I the only to notice that Al is doing a great job of channeling Buddy Hackett in his avatar?! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Leland Stone
If you think you can get to me with humor YOU ARE RIGHT.
GOOD ONE
Al Angello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Don't call us, we'll call you (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL