The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Finale for Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thanks a lot for all the input guys!
I never thought of the egg and bagg transposing, but it is a clever idea...
The Carney routine I love; I saw him do that in the Parlour and I was flored by it! Frank, is there a video that teaches the method, or just the performance?

I have heard good things about the Mullica and Ganson routine, so I will have to look into those.

thanks again,
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sadly, Carney's routine is NOT published and is not authorized for performance even if you do own his performance only video. Believe me, I asked.

It's on his 'up close and far away' video.

what I found was that... unable to perform that routine, I grabbed my notebook and started writing down every crazy idea that came into my haed. soon enough I had something I liked with a couple nifty ideas I've never seen before in my life. so I'm on my own with this and I'm liking the mental exercise. I've become far more creative having been forced to go my own way.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
How you end the egg bag depends on how you decide to present it. How you present it depends on why you present it, etc. etc.

It seems to me that there are three popular approaches. The first is the Ken Brooke approach. It's a challenge effect. No matter how closely they watch, no matter how much they handle the props, the egg still appears in the bag. The essence of the experience is a simple unfathomable small mystery, and lots of interaction. In this case, the final ultra clean production of the egg is all the ending you need.

The second group is ala the Ross Bertram routine, where the bag is more or less the same thing as a chop cup. The egg appears and disappears to get their attention, and then there's a final load. This approach doesn't feature much interaction, it's all about the production.

The third style is everything else, like the Ganson routine that treats the egg bag pretty much like a silent stage silk routine. It's one of a kind, and it writes its own ending.

So, if you're doing an interactive routine, I'd say stop worrying about what you're going to DO at the end, and figure out what you're going to SAY at the end.

On the other hand, if you're doing the egg bag because you want a quick visual surprise, then I'd go with the big load at the end. This is the approach I took, because I wanted the egg bag to work as an opener. If you want to see my final load, it's on the LVMI discs. Jim Steinmeyer also produces a large object at the end of a largely non-interactive routine. His handling was in his column, so it's probably in the collection. He produced a giant egg. It makes sense. I'm happy to say my load makes sense as well, it's a cast iron skillet that fits in the bag.

There are some people who do a fine interactive routine, and then end with a final load. Denny's a good example. I think in those cases, the load plays as punctuation,i.e. it lets the audience know the trick's over. It's icing on the cake. Denny's routine would be almost as good, and certainly as memorable, without the shot glass.

Do what you like, of course, but that's how I see it.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thank you very much Mr. Kam!
Having never performed this effect for an audience, I still don't know how it plays and how great the finale of them producing the egg actually is. Multiple people now have said that it is very strong, so it must be.
I like the interactive approach that Ken Brooke's has. It is just to my liking.

I guess what I was thinking about was that punctuation to the effect that Denny's routine has. I feel that if I did the Ken Brooks's routine, they would think the last part was incredible, but I don't know if they would think that that was the end of the effect. Obviously, I could be wrong.

Frank, I think I too will toss some ideas around for a while.

Any thoughts on using an extra egg and making the egg jump into the bag that the spectator is holding? I think that might open a bunch of other doors...
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Bill:

The ending to the Ganson routine you are referring too “Egg Bag, Bag Egg” is not the finish you stated. The Ganson routine is a transposition of a bag and an egg, finishing with a stenciled image of an egg on the bag. The image is removed crumbled, place on a fan and the “crumbled” image becomes and egg (ala Max Sterling – egg on fan) and the egg is cracked open to prove that it is a real egg.

It’s an interesting routine. However, in my research on the subject, I have not found anything in print or have seen or have heard of anyone else performing the finish you stated.

Eric DeCamps
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are right. I should have looked it up to refresh my memory. I found it somewhat confusing when I originally read it. It requires an awful lot of preparation.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I find that it's hard to top having the spectator pull out an egg from the bag, or in my case a golf ball from the bag, after they've made sure that it's empty.

I think it depends on performing style.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Of this I know...
Street wise...interactive wise. when the egg ends up in the bag (Mardo) after spec held it and found it empty is the ending... but then on the offbeat I take the bag as the response is shown by the audience... and shove this stupid 6" chicken in...pass it to some female who I hope will give a great reaction (one time a lady peed I was told) for the joke....(are you all sensing a unique performing style here?) I barely load the bag with a straight face.. I do it not for the load but for the joke. it takes the pressure off the big egg reveal.
and then I show every body how the chicken dances...on my table or someone's head.. .the ruber legs are hysterical in this ...you need to do this if you are chicken...laden. The load diffuses the big surprise and I build soon after for my closer... Curtis is so right its the interaction that works with this and really ends best that way.. I dilute a bit in my craziness to great response not hoping much that the bird will be that surprsing but simply humorous.

Marty
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Dan Tong's ending with a glass of liquid is a killer.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I do the interactive style, I've pretended to "sneak" the egg into my pocket in sucker trick fashion, so my little move at the end is to show my pocket empty just after the spectator retrieves and displays the egg. I wonder if I could turn it into a "Signed, cracked and restored egg routine?" (Just kidding).

But I could keep having the spectator reach into the bag for more eggs, if I'm not afraid to weaken the original effect. Maybe this would work for you, too.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Black Fox has a nice ending where you produce a Shot Glass of Whiskey from your Egg bag as a finish. I belive it's called 'Eggcessory'.
Yours,
Matt Wood
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Danny Korem has a great egg bag routine in his book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I use one of these. very nice gimmick. easy to use.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......CHNAPPSS

what is danny's book called?
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Frank:
Danny's book is called "Korem Without Limits."
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Danny Tong also does this. He explains his holder on his DVD, but I don't know if it's the same as others mentioned here.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

No, danny's method is different and I'm not sure it would suit me.
for a standup show it would suit me but not for walking around.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 14:58, Frank Starsini wrote:
I use one of these. very nice gimmick. easy to use.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......CHNAPPSS

Sorry Frank, but I can't resist:

"Retail $10
Our Price $16.20"

and you're still running low on stock!

I'm impressed......and a little jealous actually.

sam
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

If you squint, you'll see that it is retail $18.

you had me going there for a second...
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
I think some clarification is required.

There is no Egg Bag routine in "Korem Without Limits".
"One arrow. One life."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure which routine he mentions this in, but it is definitely in the book. I just can't find my copy right now. He addresses a bit in the routine where he puts a blown egg in the spectator's pocket and smashes it. There is a lot of comedy byplay associated with it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Finale for Egg Bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL