The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Do you do this with your vent figure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you do this with your vent figure? Unprepared, UNSCRIPTED just have an improvised conversation with him...you saying things, and him making wisecracks back at you... then you coming back at him, like a ping pong match...just bantering on for several minutes. (The way it would happen if he were a real person.)

I confess, I do it a lot..and it can be a real challenge...but the results (and rewards) can sometimes be priceless!

What do you think? Do you see the possible benefits?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I do this all the time and I hear new and unexpected jokes from my puppets Gonzo, Troy, Chowder and Lou. I wish I was as creative and witty as my puppets Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! This happens to me also. Verbal "sparring", as I like to call it has it's benefits, it appears!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I practice this way sometimes. I'm not brave enough to try it in front of a live audience.

Regan
Mister Mystery
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I understand what you are saying...but think about this..if you DID do it in front of a live audience, and it went over good, you would give a unique appearance of everything being totally spontaneous and improvised...because it IS!! (Could give the act a "fresh" feel. (Of course, most folks in the audience would still assume, after all was said and done, that you had practiced the routine ahead of time, because most good acts are pre-rehearsed.
Of course, delightfully, they would be WRONG!
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
In my opinion this is the best way to make a script, an impromptu question and answer, sometimes I also use the ambience and the audience who is watching me as an additional joke or my puppet talk to them when I'm sleeping..

thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I admit it...I do this constantly. I gave my dogs characters and they argue with each other, with my wife, with the cat, you name it.
Steve V
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Hi Daffydoug, this "verbal sparring" you're talking about is really interesting in practice sessions or in front of friends--but IMHO very risky in front of paying audience. Impromtu verbal sparring, of course, may or may not get laughs. We are relying on luck (that we can think of funny jokes on the fly). Remember that the audience don't care whether our dialogues with our puppet are scripted or unscripted--they just want comedy. As long as they laugh, they don't care how we do it.

Perhaps to improve the chance that our impromptu "verbal sparring" with our puppet becomes a hit--WE SHOULD KNOW OUR PARTNER'S CHARACTER AS WELL AS WE CAN, so that we can "control" the dialgues we do. Remember that we talk for the two characters on stage.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't think we are relying on luck so much as our own WIT!!

Don't get me wrong. Re-read my posts. I'm not suggesting that we actually get in front of an audience and do this...unless we are feeling really brave some day..even then, perhaps we should reserve it for non paying, informal audiences, eh?

But one thing in it's favor..it would surely keep you "on your toes"!
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
My routines are laid out very bare bones which allows lots of room for improvisation but never totally without script.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Scripting plus improvisation, makes a great program for this vent and his nearly normal audiences.

While sharing during a workshop on comedy, Nigel put his foot literally in his mouth. The ad-lib (or foot) became a part of the program.

Having the puppet notice something such as a noise interuption, rather than ignore it can be a fun moment in lots of shows.

Apparent adlibs that are actually scripted of course need to be shared as if they were created for the first time. Examples include:
1. When an audience member sneezes
2. Prop accidently falls behind you
3. Overhead announcement in a school
4. Outside siren noise

During the comedy workshops we sometimes play the alphabet improv game.

Every sentence must start with the next letter of the alphabet. The subject and location are given to us by the audience.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14059 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Can you give us an example?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
An example of when a prop falls..

Nigel slowly turns his head toward the noise.
Nigel slowly looks at me, back at the noise then at me...

Then slowly opens his mouth and says, "Do that again".

After an over head announcement in class..

Nigel quips..."Can I get fries with that!"

Hope that helps...

Can anyone share examples that were adlibs...that can be used when a situation "arrives"?

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
343 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
I used to do this all the time when I started out... probably not near often enough now. LOL! Actually I starte venting when I was 8 and my mom would let me leave my figures out on the couch. I'd always practice while watching tv and making comments about the shows, etc.

BTW, adlibbing can result from good preparation. Imagine things that could happen during a show... waitress dropping a tray, someone's cell phone ringing, a door slamming, a little kid having to go to the bathroom during your show, etc. and then come up with a line or lines that you could say d uring that time. Then learn them and practice them and you'll look like a genius when the time comes that you can use them. Practice your adlibs!

Gary
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2006-09-22 21:00, daffydoug wrote:
Do you do this with your vent figure? Unprepared, UNSCRIPTED just have an improvised conversation with him...you saying things, and him making wisecracks back at you... then you coming back at him, like a ping pong match...just bantering on for several minutes. (The way it would happen if he were a real person.)

I confess, I do it a lot..and it can be a real challenge...but the results (and rewards) can sometimes be priceless!
What do you think? Do you see the possible benefits?

Absolutely, this is one of my favorite ways to practice, just taking a figure and bantering back and forth. Sometimes if I'm watching TV, I'll have a figure out and we make comments through the show.

Here's an exercise that Paul Stadelman suggests in his book;
"Try this for quick shifting from the natural voice to the ventriloquial voice.
With a newspaper in your hand, and the dummy on your lap, the dummy asks you to read him the
news. You tell him he should be able to read for himself, he says he can't pronounce some of the words,
so you say you will read one paragraph, and he will read the next, if he gets stuck on a difficult word,
you will help him.
Read the first paragraph in your voice, the dummy is looking at you, now he looks at the paper, and he
"reads" the next paragraph to you,
Do this reading faster and faster, without sacrificing clear enunciation, eventually you will get to the
point where you read each alternate line in a different voice."
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Do you do this with your vent figure? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL