The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Some Questions About Sankey Material... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Normally I don't like to buy DVD's unless I just CAN'T get something in a book, but some recent events have piqued my interest in Sankey magic, mainly with cards, but I'm not too picky. However, I've noticed a couple of trends in his demo's:

He uses a lot of effects that destroy cards (signing, drawing on, etc.); he uses some gaffs (flash paper, DB's, etc.); and most of his work requires tables.

Do any of you have any DVD recommendations that don't use TOO much of any of those things, with the material still being pretty good? I understand I'm being picky.

If not, I'll just stick to practicing my palming. Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6965 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Honestly, no. Most of his material does require destroying cards.

There are a few items scattered here and there on various dvds that fit your criteria but no project that I can think of which completely fits your bill.

Sankey's trademark is off beat, visual magic which usually involves drawing something on a card. His stuff is whimsical and the handlings are very simple.

He is heavily influenced by Paul Harris. I'd stick to Paul's stuff as he seems to have a lot more card magic which doesn't involve destroying cards or using gaffs.

But maybe I'm wrong about that.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Luke,

I had the same 'complaint' with the Sankey material. Are you dead set on sticking with Sankey stuff? If not, here's what I recommend:

Aldo Colombini's True Magic (2 volumes)
Aldo Colombini's Impromptu Card Magic (3 volumes)

There is lots of great material here, and he keeps the gaffs/card destructions to a minimum. However, a table is required for almost all of the effects. What's great about these is that the effects all pack a big punch, but don't require a lot of skill. I'm sure you'll benefit from these. Good luck!

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
Thanks guys.

No, I'm not dead set on anything. It appears that indeed, he is not for me! Back to Expert Card Technique. ;-)

One last question: what about his coin material, like RCM and Anytime, Anywhere? Tables required?

Thanks again.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6965 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Some require a table but not all. Revolutionary Coin Magic has great stuff on it. Anytime, Anywhere also has a couple of nice coin routines. But if you're looking to try his coin stuff, RCM is the way to go.
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
All right, thanks. I don't think I'll go to RCM quite yet; I've been studying some Roth for a year.
tigerman21345
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of tigerman21345
Front Row has some good materials inside, delfinitly worth the money and in my opinion the best video from Sankey.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Some Questions About Sankey Material... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL