The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin bucket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It makes you wonder what consumers think of Preparations A-G!

If it doesn't pass the market test, it's like winking at a pretty girl in the dark. Nobody knows it ever happened but you.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I guess "cute and sweet" is good for you... but to me they aren't cute and sweet, but highly entertaining and sure foolers.

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:49pm
I just thought of a cheap and easy way to have someone catch an imaginary coin, toss it toward a bucket (either held from the bottom by you or on a table by itself) and have a coin seemingly arrive with a loud KLINK. Then, after X number have done so you pick up the bucket and pour out a lot of coins. Almost no cost and little work.

However, I think it diminishes the real essense of the trick where you, the magician can pluck coins out of the air.

Altho you could combine these two ways.

See my post in Secret Sessions.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the ideas and "thinking outside the bucket" (loved that line). I'm putting together a new children's show and I want to use this as my closer. I want to tell the children (at the end of the show) that "After I do a lot a magic like I've done today, sometimes there's a little magic left over, just floating around." I will then say something like "Let's see if there's any magic left over today." I'll reach up and produce a coin and say, "yep, just like I thought. Let's see if you can do it. I want you - pointing to a specific child - to reach up and see if you can grab a coin from thin air and throw it to me... I'll catch it in this bucket. Great! Now you try it. Wonderful! Now you. etc."

Well, you get the idea. After the coins are all caught, I will dump them out and pass them around for souvenirs (they will actually be tokens with some magic symbols -- top hat, bunny, etc.). What do you guys think?

Thanks again.

Regards, Steve
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 23:25, yachanin wrote:

Well, you get the idea. After the coins are all caught, I will dump them out and pass them around for souvenirs (they will actually be tokens with some magic symbols -- top hat, bunny, etc.). What do you guys think?

Thanks again.

Regards, Steve

That's a great idea! Go for it!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Reminds me of a show Charlie Miller was doing when he closed with the Miser's Dream. He gave one of the kids a coin, and then each kid shouted "I want one" and poor Charlie wound up giving all his coins away that day (real money)!
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 12:44, John Bowlin wrote:
I have yet to see a misers gaff bucket that doesn't scream gaff.

I wish I had listened to you. I got the gaff bucket from Hank Lee. It looks ridiculous. Luckily, they're a great shop with a very fair return/exchange policy.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Sorry to add a little late. But I really gotta come down on the no gaff bucket on this one. It's such a simple trick with SO much inherent misdirection there is really no need for any kind of gaff. I've been doing misers dream at the end of the night for years while picking up tip's. I'm definitely not working "cute" as these are the all Drinking age students I perform for and cute doesn't really sell with them. It's all in how you sell the coins going to the bucket. If you do the whole mystified expression thing that McBride does (No slight against him, He's amazing just working a different crowd with a way bigger persona.) It may not come off the way your wanting it to. Just sell it in your own style and you'll make it fit no problem
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
JeffMac,

Thanks for the tips. How many coins actually end up in the bucket. The reason I was looking for gaffs originally, is tht I wanted to pour a ****load of coins from the bucket in the end, and all the thumbpalming in the world isn't going to fill that bucket.

Is it?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Just a thought... Why not start with the bucket full of coins to begin with (and don't show it empty, obviously), then at the beginning openly take a bunch of coins out of your pocket and drop them in (to cover the sound discrepancy when you start dropping coins into an already full bucket). You could say that these coins are some coins you produced earlier, or something. You steal your coin or coins from that initial open load, go into the routine, and at the end you can pour out way more coins than you ever produced, since the bucket was full from the beginning.

Some "suggestive" patter could help give people the impression that the bucket was empty to begin with. Apparently that actually works.

-Travis
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Without knowing your style, wardrobe, tables, audience distances, etc. it is difficult to solve this problem.

If you check the second edition of Bobo's Modern Coin magic you will find Charliei Miller's NO LOAD way. This is good for about a dozen coins... to add more you need to have a coin load, from say a dropper, holder, maybe under you jacket (one on each side?) where you can make steals and just produce them in large amounts dribbling them into the bucket, say from under a kid's nose. You could just pick them up as you move something out of the way on a table... there are lots of ways.
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
I just switch hands and have a new load ready it's pretty easy in the way I perform it as I am doing more of a picking up real coins and trowing them invisibly into a bucket (I know not really a true Misers dream but more or less the same effect.
Still If I was going to do a coins from anywhere kind of production You can still go to pocket to pick up small loads, D***s palm a few, show apparently empty as you switch hands and your good to go.
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Pete,

I have a couple of coin droppers on the way from Tannen's. But then I heard bad things about them from Mike Gallo and others. Have you used anything like these. It looks like the droppers will deliver one at a time to me (and if I use palming coins, I think it will hold quite a lot). And then there is an item called a Gondola that will dump 12 into my hand at once. I thought of that for the end. Are you familiar with either item?

This will be on a stage, so it's possible that pockets and environmental loads may work as well or better than these devices, but I thought I'd give them a try. I can't picture getting away with reaching into my pocket in a stage situation. Close-up, maybe.

I will be wearing an untucked button-down shirt and a shirt-jacket over it. Not quite as long as a suit jacket, but formal looking and thick enough to pin things inside of it if necessary.

Quote:
On 2006-10-06 23:38, Pete Biro wrote:
Without knowing your style, wardrobe, tables, audience distances, etc. it is difficult to solve this problem.

If you check the second edition of Bobo's Modern Coin magic you will find Charliei Miller's NO LOAD way. This is good for about a dozen coins... to add more you need to have a coin load, from say a dropper, holder, maybe under you jacket (one on each side?) where you can make steals and just produce them in large amounts dribbling them into the bucket, say from under a kid's nose. You could just pick them up as you move something out of the way on a table... there are lots of ways.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin bucket (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL