The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Is the Era of Big Magic Books Over? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
In my opinion, no electronic file could ever compare to a good book.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1845 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The recently published and amazing Rubinstein Coin Magic, by Michael Rubinstein, is proof that the era of big magic books is definitely not over.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thank goodness for that.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I’d say we’ve actually been in a big magic book renaissance with the number of fantastic large books released recently. The Steve Forte books, The Magic Rainbow, Rubinstein’s book, the Jonny Thompson books, etc.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5968 Posts

Profile of motown
Not to mention:

"Eugene Burger:From Beyond"

"Interpreting Magic" by David Regal

"Pure Imagination" by Scott Robinson
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Or Jaw Droppers, JawDroppers Two, And Finally!
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
You’re right Mayniac,
There is way less books than 30 years ago, but the quality is very high.
I’m a fan of magic books, by far the best way to learn nearly anything for me. A young friend of mine, who is studying sport performance physiology at university saw the director a few weeks ago, my friend has a book in his hand and the director told him he has not seen a student with a book since 10 years. How sad it is…
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
How sad it is…

Why is it sad?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I agree...very sad.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Again - why?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1606 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
You’re right Mayniac,
There is way less books than 30 years ago, but the quality is very high.
I’m a fan of magic books, by far the best way to learn nearly anything for me. A young friend of mine, who is studying sport performance physiology at university saw the director a few weeks ago, my friend has a book in his hand and the director told him he has not seen a student with a book since 10 years. How sad it is…

Wow, that is sad indeed. I am not sure if college student still have actual textbooks nowadays, but seems schools and universities in my city still heavily rely on actual books, electronic books / apps only serve as an extra something on education.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
It’s sad because it means that most students don’t read anymore.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Technically it just means that individual professor hadn't seen people reading. Regardless, though, so what?

Not everyone likes to read. Nothing wrong with, or sad about that - it's just preference.

I love reading. My dad doesn't care for it. Regardless of that, he's still one of the best mechanical thinkers I've ever met in my life. He's also a capable carpenter, gardener, landscaper, etc. Any physical labor skill - he's probably pretty decent at it. So while I may have a broad knowledge on many subjects, he's the one I'd go to if I wanted to learn to live off the grid.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure the actual ratio of people who enjoy reading hasn't really changed much in my life time. Twenty years ago I read that the average American college didn't read more than maybe 4 books a year outside of school or job requirements.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Studying is student’s job…It means they have to attend lessons, take notes, make synthesis, cross informations, complete those notes with further readings…As not everything is online, very far from it, I don’t see how you can achieve that without books.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I mean, assuming the professor wasn't exaggerating or simply lacked observation skills - so what? Either they will pass or fail. Doesn't affect you.

I'll drop the subject as it really is a diversion from the topic of the thread and I'll probably just annoy people if I keep at it.

Back on topic -

Given that the original post was in 2006 and we're still seeing some quality, sizeable volumes be printed and re-printed I daresay the era is not over at all. What I do think/hope is happening is that because the demand for larger hard copy volumes isn't as crazy as it once was, now you're seeing quality products come to market instead of just whatever folks can slap together to make some money.

On top of the long-standing publishers you also see some really nice solo-produced works coming out too. Like Looch's Black Project - very nice two-volume boxed set. It's lovely looking as well as quality material inside.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
I agree with WitchDocChris.. that the era of books are not over. The material that the current/newer generation have produced have been impressive. I am grateful for those that continue to publish and do it for the love of magic. I am waiting for Mr. Kaufman to finish up on the latest Larry Jennings book.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The era of big books will not die even if I personally have to drag it forward.

Genii's 600 plus page on Charlie Miller's "Magicana" will come out in September.

My almost 600 page book, Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy will come out at the end of November.

During the pandemic I have written 400 pages for the follow-up, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough."

And more in the pipeline, including a big book on the magic of Jean-Pierre Vallarino.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1527 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The era of big books will not die even if I personally have to drag it forward.

Genii's 600 plus page on Charlie Miller's "Magicana" will come out in September.

My almost 600 page book, Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy will come out at the end of November.

During the pandemic I have written 400 pages for the follow-up, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough."

And more in the pipeline, including a big book on the magic of Jean-Pierre Vallarino.

How's the new Greater Magic coming along, Richard? They don't come any bigger.

Barry
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Great news Richard ! Especially concerning Vallarino Book. He is a master magician, very creative, and his handling of cards is like a ballet. He is way underrated. This book will erase this injustice.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Man, could you imagine reading Revolutionary Card Technique as an e-book? Yikes. That book is well over 500 pages of difficult material.

And the idea of looking at a computer screen. No way. For me, as it seems for some of you, just having a book in hand is WAY better, than an e-book.

Not only that, what if crap hits the fan and the power grid goes down? Your e-book can no longer be accessed. But you know what can be accessed, a book!!

So...

/
Just my two cents on the matter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Is the Era of Big Magic Books Over? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL