The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ Is the Era of Big Magic Books Over? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
No. This year is celebrated for the 2 most important magic books ever published. 1) Steve Forte's 2 volume set "Gambling Sleight of Hand" and 2)
Morgan & West's book "Parlour Tricks" What are you reading/assimilating?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Forteís books are an important mark in magic publishing history indeed. I really donít think we can say the same for Morgan & West volume.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
75 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The era of big books will not die even if I personally have to drag it forward.

Genii's 600 plus page on Charlie Miller's "Magicana" will come out in September.

My almost 600 page book, Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy will come out at the end of November.

During the pandemic I have written 400 pages for the follow-up, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough."

And more in the pipeline, including a big book on the magic of Jean-Pierre Vallarino.


This is awesome news! I'm sure everyone would love to see reprints of various books that are hard to get or expensive in the second hand market these days.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2020, bassinator wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, Richard Kaufman wrote:
The era of big books will not die even if I personally have to drag it forward.

Genii's 600 plus page on Charlie Miller's "Magicana" will come out in September.

My almost 600 page book, Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy will come out at the end of November.

During the pandemic I have written 400 pages for the follow-up, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Tough."

And more in the pipeline, including a big book on the magic of Jean-Pierre Vallarino.


This is awesome news! I'm sure everyone would love to see reprints of various books that are hard to get or expensive in the second hand market these days.

Not me.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
271 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Not me.

Nobody cares.
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thatís a shame, brother. I care about you and I value your opinions.
I hope you and yours are staying healthy.
I can hardly wait for the new Jennings book. Thank goodness for authors like Richard Kaufman for providing our fraternity with wonderful new books.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Iíve also heard a rumour about a new Cervon book?
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
75 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Magicfish is certainly entitled to his own opinions and I believe I've seen his reasoning on other topic posts before so I understand his point of view.

For those people just getting into magic, young and old, there were great books that are considered "classics" or "essential" which are no longer in print. It's hard to find them and when you do they are overpriced. I want to see the reprints so they can inspire new generations of magicians. Regardless if they do or not, there is a ton of material out there these days that people can get. And I hope we continue to print Big Magic books with new and refined ideas along with reprints.

Until then, magicfish can keep fooling us all with old tricks we haven't seen yet Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks for the civility bass. It is appreciated. I have no issue with your post except for your assertion that the harder to find items are overpriced. But I respect your opinion.
I too hope for new, quality hardbound books.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
75 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I took no offense to your response to mine, magicfish. The whole point of this forum is to discuss opinions and help each other grow.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
I am really looking forward to both the Charlie Miller and Jennings books. Thank you Richard Kaufman.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
Forteís books are an important mark in magic publishing history indeed. I really donít think we can say the same for Morgan & West volume.

Have you read Parlour Tricks?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Reese,
To be honest, no, Iíve not bought this book yet. From what I read and hear, itís a great book, but not up to the point to be the best book in magic history. Our judgement always depends on what we know. It should rely on what we know we donít know too.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2564 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I have read Parlour Tricks. While I do think it is a good book, I am not sure it will have the legacy that Forte's book likely will. Particularly considering Forte is already a major figure in the gambling sleight world.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
Reese,
To be honest, no, Iíve not bought this book yet. From what I read and hear, itís a great book, but not up to the point to be the best book in magic history. Our judgement always depends on what we know. It should rely on what we know we donít know too.
I never said it was the " best book in magic history " I have no idea of what that would be. Exploring Morgan & West provokes and inspires my thinking about the performance of magic. And that is very rare.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2020, WitchDocChris wrote:
I have read Parlour Tricks. While I do think it is a good book, I am not sure it will have the legacy that Forte's book likely will. Particularly considering Forte is already a major figure in the gambling sleight world.
I think you're right. I also think more magicians would gain great benefit from the Morgan & West book. The Forte set & Parlour Tricks are like comparing an orange to a round rock. They might have the same shape ( they're magic books) but they are both horses of a different color.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
O.K. I thought about the "greatest magic book ever". For me, it's the Stars of Magic. The first pro book I could learn from. ( the Complete works of Derek Dingle completely befuddled me ). The next book I got was an old copy of "Greater Magic" I've been performing birthday parties as a kid in high school but those books took me to a higher level. Now I'm an old man. I know an incredible amount of secrets and a few about actual performance. What I've learned is from doing school assembles, private parties, informal performances at my neighborhood pub( and performing on stage as a musician
more times my brain can count) So... I know less than you experts. But I know a great magic book when I assimilate it.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Reese, have you read the Sharp books ?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
And performing Magic by Middleton ?

Audience management by Lyunberg ?
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, Rachmaninov wrote:
Reese, have you read the Sharp books ?

No, I've always wanted to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes Ľ Ľ Is the Era of Big Magic Books Over? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL