We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Phone book Marketing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi all,
I would like to add company Christmas parties to my list of shows. If you know of a link that already answers this question feel free to post it. Now, on to the question, when using the phone book and going down the list (banks, insurance companies, etc.), after the make the call-what/who do I ask for. For example, the lady at the bank who answers the phone-would you explain that you perform for companies etc. or do you just ask to speak with the person in charge of entertainment?

In other words, what would you say during the initial call to the company?

Thanks in advance for the help!
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
I usually ask for the person responsible for "Activities" or "Special Events".
When I reach that person I....
1) Introduce myself (Aragorn, one of the best family entertainer's in the area)
This could be a discussion in itself. We have in my market a Very Good
entertainer that has a reputation with the Public as a very hard sell
ie - Take me, I'm the best!! several time in their phone sales pitch.
They ARE VERY Good but I wouldn't call him the best. Now however,
who I consider the best in my market for kids entertainment would
probably suprise my peers locally but this individual keeps a low profile.
Very busy and sucessful but a low profile. I got to see kids just roar with
laughter for 40 minutes hardly able to take a breath. It was amazing!!
In my speel I always state that "Atlanta is blessed with some of the BEST
Family Entertainment in the nation and they will get a Great Event with
whoever they choose." That is a true statement and the reason I had to
get a lot better when I went fulltime was my peers (how would you like to go
up against Ken Scott, Tommy Johns, Howie Marmer, Kathy Hoffman, The Wizard
of Odd, King Chapman, Victoria Skye, Fred Kirkland, etc. These people are
fantastic.) So the discussion could be, "How do you portray your peers?"
2) Inquire if they have or support any Holiday Events (the support ?? is very
important. They may take part in something else, ie - town festival or
charity event that they can give you to.
3) Ask permission to send or email my information to them (and that information
depends on what type of event they responded with) & drop just a couple of
names, ie - "We've done Entertainment for the Braves, GE Capitol", if you've
actually done that stuff.
4) If that permission is given I state, "In a week/severalweeks/month, I'll give
you a curtesy call to answer any questions you might have." "Of course, you
can throw a brick at me anytime. You ARE the Customer!" (makes them feel
special....lol)
5) Then "Follow up & Inform Up" (I think I just invented a new phrase) - this
is even if you don't get the gig. They do other stuff. Send a flyer in
March about your great Company Picnic offering.
6) Curtesy call once a year to verify contact and what they still do & support. This can also finally wear them down after several years.
7) Suggest that they put the flyer up on the bullitan board so others can know
about the other type events you do, ie - church, scouts, B'Day's, etc.
8) Check them off and make the next call.

You DID ask....lol,
Aragorn
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Great Info! Thanks again!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have a different approach when I am cold calling. Part of the reason I do it different can be from the markets I mainly do. However, I find that my simple approach as worked wonders for me and I get a wonderful success rate on obtaining just the information I am after.

However, when I cold call I am not really cold calling at all. I am doing a form of "information gathering. When I call I am also not selling anything to anyone in the process of my call. My information gathering system is one in which I am "qualifying" my leads only.

By this, I mean that I start off with a master lead list of suspects. This is through research, yellow pages, online etc. This master list is full of names and contacts and numbers. However, this list will not serve me well on my ROI (Return on Investment) if I do not go and qualify these leads.

Qualifying the lead for me means making a call to the contact I have on my rough list and asking them politely if I may send them information for consideration and to whom should I send that information to? It is really as easy as that.

The idea there is that I am asking permission first to send information and I am asking for correct contact information. This is a way I can make sure who the decision maker is and if I have the right information. By going through this process, I qualify all my leads and can make sure that;

1) They are expecting my mail
2) They have approved me sending it to them
3) It is going to the right person who will make the decision on hiring me

In this way of information calling, I am now going to have a much better possible ROI because I used information calling to qualify these leads.

When I call, I usually use a script something like this:

" Hi (person's name). My name is Kyle Peron and my wife and I are local entertainers specializing in family-friendly magic shows for events much like yours. We saw that you are holding the (such and such) festival on (date) this year and we wanted to know if we might be able to send over our promo packet of information for possible consideration. Would that be ok? Thank you so much? To whom should I address the information to? Thank you. And do I have the corrrect address? I have (then I state the information I have for them to correct it if it is wrong)."

That is my basic information calling script. It is short, sweet and to the point. I do not take up a lot of their time, I am friendly towards the person on the phone and I am asking permission first. I am not really hard selling to them and I have found I get a much better response by doing it this way.

In a lot of cases, the person I am calling is a "Gate Keeper" any ways and I need to get past them in order to get the information on the decision maker. If I am polite and friendly to them, I run a much better chance of getting the information I request. I also can then use their name when I do make contact with the decision maker later on.

I hope this helps a little bit. It is a different form of tele-marketing and it works for me. I use this partial system every time I am working my new festivals for the season or getting into new markets and it works great.

I also find that asking the person's name or listening to it, can be very useful. I like to get to know the person I am talking with and calling them by their name and saying thank you, is a polite way to come across in a friendly manner and to get them to want to help me.

I also never leave a message on an answering machine. My method of qualifying a lead, really works much better when I can talk directly to someone on the phone. Part of me being an "active" style marketer means I tune in to the person's needs and by listening to them, that is the first way I can lock into these needs and use them to my advantage by offering them solutions that address these needs.

This is something you can do or you can hire someone to do for you. In either way, the process is the same and it would give you a much better ROI.

If anyone has any questions about the information above, just let me know. I would be happy to go into more detail with you. Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
That was great information, that I think I hsould add into my marketing skills.

thanks,

john o'bryant
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You are most welcome my friend. I hope it encourages you and helps you out as well. If I can be of further help to you, please just let me know.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

HypnotizeAmerica
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of HypnotizeAmerica
You know I'd be willing to bet that if you did nothing more than find and read the post that Kyle has made here on the Café you'd be able to get a great start in business and be ahead of the other performers in your area. I'd also bet that Kyle has given away information that has cost him time, talent, and years of fine tuning for the price of free.

Just wanted to say thanks Kyle for always having a great outlook on our wonderful business.

Tim
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Tim,

Thank you my friend. I do appreciate it. I do try my best to simply give back to magic what magic has given to me. It is a way in which I can help others to achieve the same level of success that I have achieved for myself. I know others can do what I myself have done and I see so much potential in people. I want to see our magic reach a new level as an artform and to do so means sharing information and the willingness to help others who want to help themselves. Thanks again for the nice words.

I think this is a great thread topic and I am so glad others have chimed in here with their own ideas. Although I go about calling from a different perspective,m you must 1) be willing to try calling and 2) adapt and learn by doing and 3) make adjustments and come up with the system that works best for you and the way you work. Not every system works exactly the same for every performer. We are all different and so we must learn to adapt.

However, nothing gets accomplished without that wonderful word I like to use called "action". You simply must be willing to take action upon yourself to seek your own success. Calling is not always a fun thing to do. However you can have much success with it the more you try it and the more you learn from each time doing it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Thanks again for the advice. Calling can be discouraging sometimes, but I have found it to be the very rewarding when you keep at it. And as everyone has said already, taking action is the only way to grow a business - but it sure doesn't hurt getting some good advice before walking out the door! I am looking forward to lots of phone conversations this week - I'll let everyone know how this new market goes as I experience it...stay tuned.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Chad,

You are most welcome. The hardest thing for anyone to do is simply the act of doing itself. Taking action is what is the hardest thing for people to really grab ahold of. Many want success and many have good intentions but a lot lack the willpower to take drect action to make it happen.

When you call, just always keep in mind the person on the other end is only human. Find out their name. Be kind and show respect to them. I find if I have a pleasant phone voice and if I really listen to the folks, I can often get more information that I am seeking.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

DavidG
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of DavidG
So, SOOOOO called 'cold' calls should not be SOO00 'cold"
Santa greets YOUR friends at www.gift.us
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have not chimed in as kyle did a very nice job with his info however kyle just mentioned some thing that I was going to comment on and that is the person on the other end of the phone is HUMAN get their name

right! this may seem obvious but many people who do "cold" calls or "info" gathering seem to forget this. my first question to every person I call (if I don't know them) is what is their name and then use their name often during the coversation this makes it much more personal!

making it personal and more friendly will get you further then just trying to "sell" your act.

keep in mind that when you call some one they have a million things going on as well and may not have the time right then but get that name and maybe an email address and forward the info and your website to the person.

finally if you email them DO NOT SEND THEM A HUGE LETTER telling them everything under the sun you do! keep is short and to the point. better yet direct them to your web site and/or create an advertisement that is full color and attache it to the email for them to view. make sure its also not a huge file. usually 72dpi is good view for web base also change it to RGB verses CMYK this will help make the file smaller and will NOT change the integraty of the image. as a matter of fact it will be faster to open and easier to view, believe it or not some people don't have high speed internet-- I KNOW!

so get to work make the calls and ask their name and get them the info!

good luck and have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I am a big fan of emailing the client my information, however this year I might try mailing them some as well...nothing extensive, but I think them getting a package in the mail might go a long way - it also might never get opened if they are busy - hence why I always used email and have had good results, especially when you follow up.

What kind of things would you recommend I send if I decided to do the mail outs as well as email.... When I email, I include my show packages and prices, but only after I have established contact with the correct person. I also send a performance resume. I wanted to mail out a full colour flyer, nothing over the top, but something nicer than what I include in emails. When I send the emails, I include a few pictures nicely designed into the PDF document, but most of its text (show description, prices etc). The reason I don't go all out through email is so they can print it without using half there ink!

Any thoughts??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Phone book Marketing (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL