The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color changing silk patter ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
I have been a fan of the color changing silk for many years. I actually do a version that does not use a D** T*** and is not the self contained version. Anyway, the only versions that I have ever seen performed are basically sucker type effects.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for some good patter ideas that is not a sucker type effect.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of the most ignored good props is the crystal silk cylinder.

However, I do color changes for all kinds of reasons to include:

Corporate customers' Logos

Blendos (Printing on silk)

Seasonal themes

Introducing my wife (Heart Silk - I Love Lucy and that is her name!)

Repair holes discovered in silks

Solids to zebras

Squares to streamers (a 12" square is the same size as a 4"x36" streamer)

Happy Birthday

Ball Game Score

Etc.

Don't forget the opportunities with Soft Soap.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Mr Sanders, thank you for your reply but I was thinking more along lines of the color changing silks via D** Tube ala Red and White by Roger Klause. Take a red silk put it into your fist and extract a silk of a different color. show hand empty and then change the new silk back into the red one. looking for some patter ideas.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I have a few ideas for you. There is a very nice routine on the video, "Magic for Humans" by Frank Balzerak. His storyline center around the idea that he has a little pocket sewn into his hand - a hand pocket. It's really a nice way of presenting the coloring changing silk. He does use a DT, but you can adapt it to your method.

Also, there is Billy McComb Half Dyed Hank where the hank ends up dyed half red and half white. You can get Billy's routine if you order it from Abbott's.

Lastly, Duane Laflin has quite a few routines with different storylines/premises that you might enjoy. He has a double DVD with many several color changing silk ideas on it. You can get it from http://www.lockfamilymagic.com

I hope these ideas help you. Good luck.

Ron
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
I like the trick too, but I am not so crazy about some presentations I have seen for it.

I think it is basically a "sucker-type" trick and a good presentation should not ignore that. But the sucker aspect should not be the focus either - it should produce humor as a magical sight gag that goes with (or even, goes against) the supposed explanation for what is happening. It comes down to the personality of the performer - can the magi present a story that is entertaining, even if absurd, but one that is logically punctuated by the events of a well-performed trick.

There is just no good reason to crumple a handkerchief into a fist - so the story should not be sensible IMO - it should be silly in a fun way. Paint a scene from an imaginary movie - science fiction, or perhaps a Western - and run with it.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Here is what I do.
I say:
most people...if they want to change their clothes, they just reach into the closet...take out something different...and try it on. But that's not what magicians do. For instance...I wasn't sure if this red hanky would be right for my suit tonight( I pull the red silk from my outside breast pocket)...Well, what do you guys think of the red hanky...well I wasn't too sure...so I pushed the red hanky into my fist...about half way, that's very important...I snapped my fingers and the red hanky began to turn yellow...the more I pushed it it...the more it turned yellow...until I pushed the red hanky all the way in...and wound up with a yellow hanky.( at this point, my hand that was holding the red hanky is still closed, I pause for a moment and then open the empty hand during a gesture, to reduce the sucker part of the trick)Then continue:

I tried the yellow hanky and it just seemed a little to flashy...so I pushed it into my fist (continue with the same patter as above)...and I wound up with the red hanky once again...which seemed to work better with my outfit tonight...so that's why I decided to wear it (tucking it back into my breast pocket).

I do this close up...and in my strolling shows when the audience sometimes grows during the performance.

Rich B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color changing silk patter ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL