The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mechanical Feet..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Looking for information on building a set of mechanical feet and other body parts. Smooth a quite operation are a must.

There use to be a website with set by step instructions but I no longer have the URL.

Are there any books/video out there?

Pm or email me with any information you have.

orion2185@direcway.com

Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I can supply you with the devices to move them but,you must supply the feet/shoes....

You would want this because they must custom match your assistant eh?

Interested?
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Of course I am! If the price is right.

Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I have two version remote controlled or random mechanical movements..

Both are very reliable and durable.

Tight Budget?

Please tell me what your presentation idea is for the feet...? i.e. Illusion concept....
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Well I was looking for a set that could be interchangeable with different illusions that needed it. Change to match the assistant for each illusion. Could this be done? Or are you better off having a different set?

I am thinking about using them for sawing in half illusion.

As the fake feet are not cutting it any more. Too many people are leery about them. As I go back and watch myself perform it I keep saying I need feet that move. I think the illusion would get a better reaction with them.

I mean do you really want to hear some kid say, mommy why don't her feet move? Or Mommy Mommy those feet are fake. Or, something to that effect.

Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Okay it seems that you might be on a budget..so I can share with you a quick and easy idea....YOu might think this is crazy but, this was my first venture into comleting the effect...and it worked.....

I have now gone to a remote version....some would say, "Why run if you aren't being chased!" however, nowadays folks are "on" to the moving feet mechanism...a remote allows for random movements.

Go to a toy store of any kind..now stop looking around at the different toys and new ideas...stick with the foot fetish for a moment...now again..look for a toy that has a moving head or hand ...etc....there are plenty of them...

When you do find one...look for the mechanism itself....is it easily accessible without having to rip out alot of components...plastic parts?

If you take some time to really look, you will find some that are only zippered in place...

Remove the mechanism and mount it onto box/frame that must also fit into the load space...This must be secured very well into place...

If the "neck" of the unit is too short to fill up the entire shoe then, you must extend this with a dowel....this must be a wooden dowel to keep it light....but, it must also be mounted on a slide or hinge so that it can be revealed and concealed when the appropriate time comes.....

There are a host of ideas you can come up with ...even just spending some time at hobby lobby will reveal some ideas....for this......

Good luck.. and please tell us how you fared, in your search, for those ellusive feet! Smile
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
What would your versions cost? I just thought if your going to spend the money might has well make a versatile prop.

Just like buying a new magic trick. don't buy one b/c the effect was cool. If you did that you will end up with a warehouse stacked full of crap you never use.

I like to get the most out of my hard earned money.

I will start the hunt.

Reyrey you said go to a hobby lobby and look for stuff. I have a question for you.

I made a remote controlled car years ago and still have it's components collecting dust in storage. the car used a Futaba remote control and servos. Is there a way to make one out of this stuff? Just a thought.

thanks for your help,
Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Yes I have various rc 10 kit parts around my little shop to brainstorm ideas with as well.

You can use the servos to accomplish this effect and use the remote for the activation....the only drawback to this is recquiring someone not linked to the stage performance, backstage manipulating the servos...

This is very very similiar to some marketed versions......interference is another drawback...you must check each venue prior to using this in a show. Addressable devices are preferred..i.e. dip switches.

It has been fun revisiting this journey....keep em coming.

p.s. Go to hobby lobby and see what I am talking about.....in the science project section.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
What do you mean by dip switch? First thing tomorrow I am hitting the hobby shops! But, I still do think I will know how to hook it all together and into the prop. How would you power the feet? Should I just use the rechargeable car battery I have?

What is better to use? A remote controlled or a set pattern of movements?

Any ideas on how to make a latex foot? Or where to buy liquid latex? Or, do you think it would be best the buy pre made prosthetics?

Still like to know what you want for your stuff.

Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Here goes....

Go to http://www.axtell.com for Steve's custom made latex parts.....there are others as well.

I acquired a set of feet from a model dummy in a Goodwill Store and then match painted the colour and also trimmed them down a bit...

Remote controlled or set pattern ..depends on your opinion once you see it on camera....

Yes you would still need the rechargeable 9.6volt battery from your rc kit servos to power them....however you should have sufficient space in the load chamber I believe...not knowing your chamber dimensions.

Smile
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Could you make your own latex body parts? I know there is a write up in the Illusion System books on life casting.

My question how much has life casting change since the book was published?

I think it will be best to have a pro. make the body parts. After all they need to look some what believable.

Thanks for all the info. It has help me DRASTICALLY. I would probably already have given up hope if it was not for you.

I think I will also pay a visit to the mall. And see if I can't get a set of mannequin legs/feet.

Mike
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I am extremely honoured to have helped you along with your feet to carry you the rest of the way>...pun intended

It is only through sharing knowledge that we can ever hope to learn something about ourselves and the worlde around us......

Do not horde knowledge....share the magic!
Pay it forward and help someone in the future....such as someone did for myself a few years ago......

Please continue to pm me should you need further assistance...or maybe just a little push.

I would not consider making my own feet with latex...let us leave that to the "pros who know"

I would go with Steve Axtell..he is very very reasonable.....on the latex issues...

Should you decide to go the way of the hollowed out mannequin legs then pm me for more hints....

I am quite sure that a few others will chime in on this topic once the holiday season wraps up.

I suspect that this thread might even be moved into the Secret Sessions Area so see you around the Café' somewhere

Happy Landings! Smile
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Thanks again for all of your help. You saved me allot of time. Time that can be spent rehearsing and in the workshop.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mechanical Feet..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL