We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adults can't hear it, but 'we' can! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
Hmmm, so wat does that mean for me? I can barely hear it
Mostly Harmless ^_^
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 17:08, elmago wrote:
...To all the musicians out there: Does it sound like a "C" to you also?

Nope, sounds like an F sharp to me.

BTW unless we're all listening on the same speakers, at the same volume and with the same ambient noise then wouldn't any perceived volumes be purely subjective?

Regards, Mike
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Ross, I think I'm the only one that caught (or cared to catch) the "11" reference.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 12:21, Mark Raven wrote:
Just played for my class of second graders. It actually made one little guy tear up. I, however, didn't hear a thing. I'm hooking it up to my speakers now, just to see how many classrooms will be effected. Geez, somedays it's good to be a teacher.

Raven

Your evil!
What are you doing on the Café while at work? Smile
So, 4 classrooms down could hear it? that's amazing.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I can't hear it!

I feel like you guys are all playing some prank on me!
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Well, anyone over forty who does, try it on a few different speakers with different computers if you can. If you can't hear it and have a dog, bring them into the room and see how they react, my dog just stares at the screen.
Tarbell!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I had to crank my speakers up to full volume to hear this. There seems to be two components of this tone. One is a 19KHz tone which resides at or above normal hearing threshold. This is about the same frequency put out by old televisions. I could barely hear this at full volume and it was more of a pressure than a sound. I also heard a low pitch rumbling that I think is used to modulate the high pitch to make it even more annoying. That one is easily heard by just about everyone and may not even belong there. It might just be an artifact left over from the conversion to an audio file.

Remember too, we're listening to a compressed copy of the original. It's likely the original uncompressed tone looks totally different when looked at through something like an audio spectrum analyzer. It's easy to speculate that the original use of this tone was to pump it through high efficiency speakers and a bandpass filter that were designed for this specific tone.

Think of it as the difference between listening to the 1812 Overture with a live orchestra and cannon fire, and hearing it on AM radio through a car speaker. What we're hearing on this sample may not even be close to the real thing.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
I hear it well, I had put the wrong setting on my headphones, yeah, I can it. woooo that's a relief, I thought I might be going deaf or sumin
Mostly Harmless ^_^
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I cannot hear it. A few months ago, I played it full blast at my office. The young'ns all heard it, us old farts heard nothing. I wonder if it would be good to stop kids in the street for busking...

Tony
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Well If I've learnt nothing else on the Café, I now have the magic to chase the skateboarders who hang round outside our shop.
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
Quote:
On 2006-10-04 17:37, Freak Prodigy wrote:
Ross, I think I'm the only one that caught (or cared to catch) the "11" reference.

Brett.

Spinal Tap rule :wink:
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I'm 50, and I can just barely hear something when wearing headphones if I crank the volume way up. But, I might be hearing noise made by my sound card. I didn't want to cause much ear damage, so I only listened to it briefly.

Babies can hear up to about 22,000 Hz., because their head and the bones in their ears are smaller than ours. Young adults can hear from about 18,000 to 20,000 Hz. People with bigger heads and larger ear bones won't generally hear as high frequencies as those with smaller heads. But, there are other factors.

In our society, many old people can’t hear high frequencies above much lower frequency values. We have lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, motorcycles, and various other noisy items. Scientists used to believe that only sounds about 110 dBm and louder caused damage to high frequency hearing, but studies have shown that exposure to much lower levels for prolonged periods causes damage too.

People who live in jungles away from our modern noisy world hear high frequencies well into old age.

If you want to preserve your hearing then wear earplugs when you mow the lawn, go see fireworks, or even if you go to a really loud concert!

They now say that if you can still hear the music from headphones when you take them off your head and hold them then it’s causing cumulative ear damage when you’re wearing them.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
My head hurts!
smudgedj
View Profile
New user
Cochabamba, Bolivia
82 Posts

Profile of smudgedj
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I'm 43 and could not hear it. My dogs and cats could all hear it.

Ron
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
It seems like the highest F-sharp on a piano. If you point one of those Brookstone electric dog whistles at me and turn it on, it's like hammers at my eardrum. My brother loves to whistle comparaby-pitched notes which have varied humorous effects.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
379 Posts

Profile of Bill
Nope. Did enjoy the quiet though. Wife came in and yelled at me to turn the ***ed speakers off, now THAT I heard!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is crazy! I didn't hear a thing, but I have thre teen agers in the house nd they all came running into my magic room where I have this computer, and they said "What the %$% is that?" They said they could hear it all the way at the other end of the house!

I can't hear a flippin' thing!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adults can't hear it, but 'we' can! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL