The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » If you needed more reasons not to do the old spike under the cups.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-10-04 05:33, Christopher Williams wrote:
I honestly can't believe so many people have got this wrong. I have used Smash and Stab for years, and even sold a couple of sets to others with my routine for the effect, and they all have agreed with me, that once you know the secret, it really is almost impossible to get it wrong, and I even use a blindfold and don't get it wrong. I don't even think a lapse in concentration could make this a mistake. Simple fact in my opinion, if you know the secret, you shouldn't mess this up. As for getting a spectator to do it for you, NEVER do this. You make them feel uncomfortable and it takes some of the routine away.
I have been working on a Gypsy thread routine done completely in the spectators hand, and then was reminded from my Mentor this was the worst thing I could do. There needs to be a line between you and your spectator. Though a lot of people believe it is best to do all magic you can in the spectators hands, remember who the magician is, and I think that applies here. The magician is the person who should be risking their hands with the effect
I agree with you about Smash & Stab, but not the Gypsy Thread - Gene Anderson showed ne a handling of Gypsy Thread that involves the spectator holding the thread in the palm of their hand - and it is very strong
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Hi Christopher Williams,

I think most of us would agree with you that it's not an issue if you are risking your own hand - though of course we want you to be sure you don't hurt yourself - and I think we can safely assume with your experience that won't be an issue.

For most of us I think the problem is that an audience members hand was put at risk, and that is just 100% wrong.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-10-04 05:33, Christopher Williams wrote:
once you know the secret, it really is almost impossible to get it wrong

The key word there is ALMOST. Maybe no trick is 100% impossible to get wrong, but if I try a card revelation and get it wrong, I don't end up with a hole in my hand!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-10-04 10:00, Danny Diamond wrote:
if I try a card revelation and get it wrong, I don't end up with a hole in my hand!
or the spectator's hand, either!
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
That was truly terrible, I actually cringed and my blood pressure just shot up!

I still love the trick though, I have 2 versions that can not go wrong(I think?).
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
........ Mother of god....... Do it right, if you do it at all, and NEVER put a spec in danger. +Sigh of anger+
Greg V
View Profile
New user
B.C. Canada
43 Posts

Profile of Greg V
Wow. I can't believe he would use the spectators hand (especially putting it on the bottom, making it hit the spike first). Each time he put the hand overtop I knew it might happen (just the thought of it...yikes). I've seen the effect performed live only once, and it also went wrong. Luckily the magician used his own hand, and was okay afterwards.
I would NEVER perform a trick where there is chance for mistakes such as this, where someone might get injured.
Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Gaaah!
This is one of those videos that makes me want to order all of the stupid people off of the planet.
The first guy...Ok, he screwed up, he hurt HIMSELF. Excusable. Don't know how he got screwed up, but it is excusable.
The second guy should be given a Cease and Decist order immediately, and then forced to participate in one of my Suspension shows. I am all about building drama and suspense in a show, but that was unforgivable. Not only did he put the spectator in danger, but took no risk upon himself at all. It's easy to be careless when your own flesh isn't on the line.
I really hate this as it was on my "To Do" list of tricks. Still might be, but I am definately going to rethink the method.
Maybe I'll use clear plastic cups...
Gwyd
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
If you do Scott Alexander's Shattered, it is 100% foolproof. There is no way you could get hurt.
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Coinman21 Last week while performing Shattered the paper bag gave me a horrible paper cut. Nothing is 100% safe. Smile
Brent Braun
CoinMan21
View Profile
Elite user
China
442 Posts

Profile of CoinMan21
Never knew lunch bags could cut you. Maybe you should check if you had left any broken bits of glass inside. Smile
Buzz
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Buzz
I once saw A Magi do the same sort of trick but with a small little canary in one of three paper bags. When smashing second bag...Splat. Red stained bag and a loud little chirp. All was cool as the real bird was switched with a small packet of fake blood. It sure got my attention.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
That is so cool!
Gives me an excuse to buy a pet mouse!!
Gwyd
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Tell me...is that part of the trick....?? :o(

CC.
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » If you needed more reasons not to do the old spike under the cups.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL