We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Questions about deck switches... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 12:43, jjsanvert wrote:
Thanks korttihai_82.
You can present my deck switch standing, surrounded, and without any toppit work. You only need a jacket - and a little someting very easy to make.

Is that deck switch in your DVD Vol.2?
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1801 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Its on vol.1 in card act. I highly recommend it.

J-M
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
582 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
Yes - vol 1
JJS
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Check out Randy Tanner's "Rubberband Deck Switch" in Harry Lorayne's Best of Friends Vol. II
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
There is a switch idea in notes by Cody Fisher. He uses it in his "invisible deck routine." The ide could be applied to other switches.
Frank
EggMagic
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Fl
44 Posts

Profile of EggMagic
My favorite deck switch is in the Michael aamar Topit book. It is quite invisible!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Whenever I need to switch a deck, I use one that is quite old, straightforward and sure-fire. It's called the "Joker Deck Switch". It's written up in some of the Aronson books, but it's much older than any of his books.

When you take out your regular deck, set the joker aside and do a routine. At the end of the routine, put the deck away in the card case, without the joker, and put the cased deck in your pocket (most effective with an inside jacket pocket). As you're putting it away, drop that deck and grab the deck to be switched in, while simultaneously realizing you forgot to put away the joker. Bring out the switched-in deck, put the joker into the card case, and then leave the cased deck out.

After that, do a non-card routine, and then go into your routine with your newly-switched-in deck!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Frank Starcinski (a member of the Café) does excellent leather magic stuff. I had him make me a leather case for a deck of cards. It has the words: Loomis Magic and my profile is cut into the leather. I bring it out and table it after removing the deck. What the audience does not know is that I actually have two such cases and the other one remains in my pocket with the deck I plan to switch in. After I do a card trick or two, I put the cards back in my case, put it in my pocket and then do a rope trick. (Or perhaps a coin trick... whatever.) When I finish that, I "remember another card trick and I bring out the case and remove the deck. I put the case back down on the table in the same place it was before. Simple as that is, I've not had a layperson every suggest that the deck was switched.

Frank used to have a photo of my case on his site, if you would like to see it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
Dennis,
Do you know Frank's website address? I'd love to see his work. I like your idea very much for the deck switch.
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3387 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and there's always a deck shell.

Julie
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Nick Pudar,
Here's the link to Frank Starsinski's site:
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/
The Leather card cases are under the category: Wallets.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Dennis, I took a look at the leather card cases. Very nice indeed.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
Dennis, thanks. One thing I couldn't tell from the pictures is whether the entire deck (with the carboard card case) will fit in the leather wallet -- or if only the cards themselves (without the cardboard case) will fit. And if the cardboard case does fit in, does it slide out easily?
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Nick,
Frank will size the case to your specs. I decided to eliminate the cardboard card case and have the two leather cases made to hold just the cards. But you may prefer the to have them a bit larger for the card cases as well.

I don't think the pictures on the site do the leather cases justice. I am very happy with Frank's work and feel it's a "professional" touch to use them in my work. Also, when I table the leather case, it's with the name side up and right side up to the audience so that it's just sitting there reminding the spectators of my name... not a bad idea for a pro that wants as many shows as possible.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Those look like some very lovely card cases! Here's a direct link: http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=44
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Bert Allerton's Crafty Joker is a quick, simple routine that will allow you to switch decks. (PDF format)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Noobini,
Thanks for providing the direct link to Frank's card cases. You have reminded me of a thought I had which I've not acted on. Perhaps now I will. The logo engraving on the leather is only ten bucks. So, I've thought about having a case or two made with a playing card engraved on the case. It might be fun to bring out the case and leave it on the table with the Ace of Spade side showing. You do some card magic, and then switch in the other case. That one would have a different card engraved on it, but you table it with the card face down. Then after an intervening trick or two you force the dupe of the card engraved on the case. With it returned to the deck you way you will cause it to penetrate upward through the table into the case. You place the case in the center of the table, put the deck under the table, and rap it against the underside of the table. However, the case remains empty and you then show the card engraved on the case and say: "I guess it got stuck part way through."

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Questions about deck switches... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL