The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Doug Henning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like how Doug Henning made illusions popular in the 70's. If it wasn't for Doug Henning, do you think David Copperfield would be where he is?
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I think it was Doug Henning who did the first magic TV special.
David Copperfield followed with his specials and Doug eventually withdrew from the TV magic scene.
I guess you could say that Doug Henning sort of paved the way for David's entry into this venue. But I don't know if David Copperfield would not be where he is today if it wern't for Doug Henning.

Steve
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I really don't believe the two were connected. I think they were two different magicians on two different paths, and both got really lucky. The person who hired David for the first time for "The Magic Of ABC" said David approached him and made a really good presentation on how magic would help in their next special. There was no mention about past magic specials on TV, including that of Henning. So, I would probably have to say that Copperfield would be where he is today, even if Henning was not around. Of course later on, David did lots of Hennings illusions, with Hennings permission of course. Smile
Believe In Magic....I do!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with you Steve. Doug was the one to open those doors. I don't know either if Dave will be where he is. Possibly Dave would of been higher if it wasn't for Doug. I bet if something happened to Dave Blaine, alot of magicians would try and follow his footsteps. By the way, if something happened to David Copperfield, I bet there will be another illusionist trying to carry on after him. And it might be you.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16945 Posts

Profile of joseph
Maybe your name has to be Dave to strike it big in sho biz. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
I'm not certain if Doug Henning had anything to do with paving the way for DC... but he sure had a lot to do in inspiring me to be a magician!

After seeing Doug Henning on TV, I knew that's exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up... WA LA!

Magical Wishes,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Copperfield once did a rap about Henning.

"I dress really cool, with an attitude, that's why I lasted longer than that Henning dude.
So stick around and watch it happen, because my magic's much better than my rappin."

This was of course done before Doug's death and after the "end" of his TV career.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Lest someone should get the wrong impression, Henning did not drop out of the magic world because he couldn't "last" as long as Copperfield -- he withdrew from magic in search of a spiritual life.

He re-emerged as a public persona in the mid-90s when he ran for prime minister of Canada as head of the Natural Law Party. Their plan was to eliminate the national debt by sending yogic flyers across the country. Thanks to broadcast regulations requiring that all recognised political parties be given airtime, Doug was able to have a 10-minute spot on CBC, outlining his party's vision.

Needless to say, the Natural Law Party was unable to unseat the governing Liberals.

As for what Doug did for Copperfield ... I think we can say that Doug made things easier for Copperfield to become the superstar he did. Copperfield likely would have emerged anyway, but the public was more accepting of televised magic as a result of Doug's work. Remember, when Copperfield had his first special, people were calling him another Doug Henning.

It was Henning who first got me interested in magic, and it's a shame that his death came just as he was planning a comeback.
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
As with Magique Hands and Magicbarry

it was Doug who sparked my interest in magic. I seem to think it was a special on tv where he turned into a shark and walked through a brick wall. Not at the same time of course.

Would DC have become what he was without Henning? Yeah, probably. It just might have taken a little longer. There's too much talent there for him to go unrecognized.

And as a small side note, I know Doug still must have loved performing magic while in politics. I had the chance to see him speak at my university years ago, regarding the Natural Law Party, and before he even began talking politics he opened with some magic. Probably 10 to 15 minutes worth. Oh, and I do believe he had plans on opening a magic, floating, theme park at Niagra Falls.

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough to spend my 2 cents worth.

Liquid B
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
On 2003-01-09 15:45, Liquid B wrote:

Oh, and I do believe he had plans on opening a magic, floating, theme park at Niagra Falls.

Yes, he'd teamed up with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi to develop the concept of Vedaland, a transcendental theme park that would have featured a pavilion levitating over a lake. At the time of Doug's death, the Vedaland group was still seeking financial backing, and was determined to press on despite Doug's passing.

However, the official Vedaland website (www.vedaland.com) has been shut down. So too, I assume, has the venture itself.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Doug Henning was the one that revitalized magic back in the seventies, but regardless of what he did I firmly believe that DC still would have been as popular as he is right now. Henning opened the door but DC ran through it.
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
When Doug came on the scene in the seventies
magic was looked at as something to amuse children and not much more than that. It was a dying art left to tuxedo clad middle aged men with dreams of a vaudvillian resurection. Doug change all that and made magic cool and hip for a whole generation. Without his vision we would all be doing $25.00 birthday parties, hired to distract the children while mom gets the cake ready. He didn't just open doors for David and the rest of us, he blew them off their hindges!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
The biggest difference between Doug and David is Doug did not make any enemies. David has be-friended many people through out his career. Doug also wasn't afraid to ask for advice and he was much friendlier.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Doug Henning (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL